• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 1/3/2019 at 2:22 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I purchased my Zojirushi the price difference was negligible.  What I did not take into account is that the 5 cup will make half a cup of rice but the 10 cup won't make less than a cup.

Oooh, this is a good thread to go along with the recently started farro rice thread. That ability to make 1/2 cup is very important to people, I think.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, CatIsHungry said:

Katie, I did a TON of research before replacing my Zo - all reports led back to buy the Made in Japan and buy the Made In Japan only - especially if you use it frequently and expect / want any longevity out of it. 

That's my two cents - take it for what you think its worth - hope it helps.

As for the Micom / fuzzy logic - someone much more technical than I will have to chime in about that - sorry 😕

CAT

Me too. Yet I ended up with the non-induction, non-pressure, non-pejorative Made in Japan 5.5 cup Zojirushi. I love the thing.  I wanted the ability to make oatmeal and other morning foods (5-grain cereal, etc. etc.)

Like any other piece of equipment we all get our thrills playing with, I'm pretty sure the one I have can be "hacked" to cook a few other things than rice and AM cereal. And like any other piece of equipment we "hack," it will take some playing around with, in terms of settings and amounts of liquid.

I downloaded this book from the library for a few ideas; it possibly has the longest title in existence:

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Worth a read. 

And I thought my rice cooker was interesting looking, but that red one certainly isn't letting anyone forget it's there - whoa!

1374879739_Zojirushiricecooker.thumb.jpeg.ef4d47d722efc9d61f87d40c5449f8d8.jpeg

I'm sure, like the episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Fever," (about a possessed slot machine) this rice cooker will end up in my nightmares dreams, following me around and making me use it.

weinoo

weinoo

On 1/3/2019 at 2:22 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I purchased my Zojirushi the price difference was negligible.  What I did not take into account is that the 5 cup will make half a cup of rice but the 10 cup won't make less than a cup.

Oooh, this is a good thread to go along with the recently started farro rice thread. That ability to make 1/2 cup is very important to people, I think.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, CatIsHungry said:

Katie, I did a TON of research before replacing my Zo - all reports led back to buy the Made in Japan and buy the Made In Japan only - especially if you use it frequently and expect / want any longevity out of it. 

That's my two cents - take it for what you think its worth - hope it helps.

As for the Micom / fuzzy logic - someone much more technical than I will have to chime in about that - sorry 😕

CAT

Me too. Yet I ended up with the non-induction, non-pressure, non-pejorative Made in Japan 5.5 cup Zojirushi. I love the thing.  I wanted the ability to make oatmeal and other morning foods (5-grain cereal, etc. etc.)

Like any other piece of equipment we all get our thrills playing with, I'm pretty sure the one I have can be "hacked" to cook a few other things than rice and AM cereal. And like any other piece of equipment we "hack," it will take some playing around with, in terms of settings and amounts of liquid.

I downloaded this book from the library for a few ideas; it possibly has the longest title in existence:

The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook: 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings, and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Worth a read. 

And I thought my rice cooker was interesting looking, but that red one certainly isn't letting anyone forget it's there - whoa!

1374879739_Zojirushiricecooker.thumb.jpeg.ef4d47d722efc9d61f87d40c5449f8d8.jpeg