• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harry Johnson and Steward & Barkeeper's Manual

skranka

Hi everyone!

First of all I just want to say thanks to all of you cocktail geeks. I'm working in a bar in Göteborg, Sweden. I have learned tons of stuff following this forum. On to the topic. We are a group of people here in Sweden planning to form a study group on cocktail history. Our first task are to read and drink through Harry Johnsons Bartenders Manual. The 1900 edition. In "The Deans of Drink: The Amazing Lives & Turbulent Times of Harry Johnson & Harry Craddock As Seen In A New Light" I've read that David Wondrich and Mauro Majoub speculated if Steward & Barkeeper's Manual published by Jesse Haney Company in 1869, actually was written by Harry Johnson.

Anyone here got any suggestions how to get hold of the Steward & Barkeepers' Manual? I'm really keen to compare the different texts!

Best Regards,

/ Christian

Edited by skranka (log)

Christian,

Here is a link to the 1934 revised edition. It's amazing what you can find on Scribd or Google Books - I've got 20+ old cocktail books bookmarked, and most of them are from either of those two services.

Thanks,

Zachary

Sorry! Iv'e already got Bartenders Manual by Harry Johnson. What I am looking for is Steward & Bartender's Manual (1869). It's probably not written by Harry Johnson. But maybe there is a link between the two texts.

/ Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. I haven't got any response from Greg at Cocktail Kingdom yet. I've also asked David Wondrich about the Steward & Barkeeper's Manual. Wondrich said It's possible that the book was written by Harry Johnson. But there is very little in common with Steward & Barkeeper's Manual (1869) and The Bartender's Manual (1882) according to Wondrich.

I am still looking for a digital copy of the Steward & Barkeeper's Manual!

• 1 year later...

Yes, thanks this is really cool. After a quick perusal I have to say I am much taken by the drink name Flutemaginley, which is purported to contain a small glass of cider, soda water, sherry, brandy, lemon peel, sugar, and nutmeg. You know, it sounds crazy, but it might work. If nothing else, the name is so fabulously of its time.