• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

Just one "at home" observation. I have had a 5 qt KitchenAid for 21 years. Never had a day's problem with it.

About two years ago, my wife saw the newer 6 qt models on sale. So she bought one as a wedding present and bought one for us. It sat in the basement unopened for at least a year. So, one day I decide to retire "old reliable."

The second time I used the new mixer, I burned out the gearbox. It was just a 40 oz baguette batch kneaded at a mid-high speed. (For over 3 years, I made that same bread at least once per week with old reliable; then I got out of the habit.) So, I call KitchenAid, they send me a new one under warranty.

Meanwhile I move old reliable back into the kitchen. Finally after a month or so, I use the replacement. On first use, (a different bread this time) the motor smokes terribly and I burn the entire motor out.

Guess what's in my kitchen now?

It was just a 40 oz baguette batch kneaded at a mid-high speed.

According to the owner's manual for my 6-quart (which I love, but I've never experienced the 5-qt): "Use Speed 2 to mix or knead yeast doughs. Use of any other speed creates high potential for unit failure."

MichaelB, maybe that's why you keep burning out your gear box.

It was just a 40 oz baguette batch kneaded at a mid-high speed.

According to the owner's manual for my 6-quart (which I love, but I've never experienced the 5-qt): "Use Speed 2 to mix or knead yeast doughs. Use of any other speed creates high potential for unit failure."

MichaelB, maybe that's why you keep burning out your gear box.

KT,

I do actually read owners manuals. :raz:

But, ever try to knead a batch of cold, wet baguette dough to 78 F (25 C) on speed 2 of a home KitchenAid? Can you say "all day long"?

M

Ok, we are getting way off topic here . . . but I cannot resist.

As I said, I made this bread at least once a week for almost 4 years, and a whole bunch of times since I gave up weekly bread-making -- I've probably made that bread 300 times or more. So, I have made some very good batches and also made virtually every mistake possible. If anyone is interested, the bread is Sullivan's mixed starter. I've seen the recipe several places; the most published is in Baking with Julia.

First, I use a very high protein flour. The bread needs a very aggressive knead to form the gluten. Thus, the mixer-killer (at least the new KitchenAid).

Second, the bread performs best if kneaded to 78 and left to rise at or near that ambient temperature. Leaving the dough colder and raising more slowly sometimes results in sourdough.

Required relevant content to the thread -- I stopped by an auction this morning where there were several 20qt Hobarts up. Four really nice looking ones will be hitting eBay tonight. No personal interest, etc. I just couldn't figure out what a local caterer was going to do with 4 mixers, 3 Cryovac machines, a bunch of meat slicers, etc. Turns out he has essentially completed outfitting his business with used equipment and now buys to place on eBay. I won't say what he paid as I don't know what work, cleaning, warranty etc. he offers when putting stuff on eBay.

Me? I bought a single glass door True refrigerator in working condition for $275. It's going into my basement tomorrow.

Okay, where do we find out about auctions?

lotsa places. ebay has a restaurant equipment site.

i'm sure local papers have restaurant equipment auctions.

if you google "restaurant equipment auctions" you'll find some more.

finding them isn't the problem. finding them in the right situation is.

IE transportable, inspectable, reasonable price, etc.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

To put my 2 cents in, is it just me, or does the whip that goes with the mixer that Elyse has made reference to, seem to be very DARK in color? I have never seen a whip that dark ( although it could just be the picture ) and would be very weary of using a whip of that color, especially if I wanted to whip up up some heavy cream, which I believe looks better the whiter it is :blink:

McKay

( JASON McCARTHY )

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! That whip was dark or rusted. She didn't tell me anything about it other than that it was dark. :hmmm:

There's a KA on sale for $229 after rebate. It's the Artisan Series :rolleyes: 325 watt 5 qt. Model KSM150. 325 seems too weak. Somehow, people keep telling me I can find amazing deals if I just look. I keep looking, and nothing's all that amazing.

I also burned out my mother's hand mixer, and mine's starting to smell. Time to find that thread on hand mixers....

be careful of the different motors in the KA's. get the strongest u can afford and it will last. we've been using a "heavy duty" model for 7 years almost every day. no problems.

don't knead doughs at high speeds and be careful with high gluten flours especially

hobart used to make the KA's and i suggest you buy a Hobart for daily bread kneading of anything over 2 pounds of dough, regardless of bowl size.

Richard, The model at Costco has metal attachments, and I'm afraid my doughs will turn grey.  Know what I mean?

I wouldn't worry about it. All of the larger, higher end machines have metal attachments and doughs come out fine. They've been making these things for a long time, and if bakers were having that issue they'd be out of business pretty quick.

Sorry, I should have added that as I am baking my own goods, they are not charging me rent or anything, so 75% sounds high to me.  That, and the fact that this venture is to raise money for the motherhouse and infirmary or something like that.

Go for the 75% to cover yourself legally. After all, you're doing all the work and their cut is to cover rent. If you feel you've profiteered after you've been at it for some months, then make a nice tax free donation.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Oh my God, Mottmott, you are so out of the loop! :biggrin:

I posted about it somewhere forever ago. We were kicked out of the kitchen in the convent, and my partner freaked out, and may be in a mental institution. Last I heard, he may have been fired for his handling of the situation. Last time I saw him, he was dropping me off at the market, and out of nowhere started screaming and flailing his arms around, his voice getting shrill, eyes wild. For like... 10 or 15 minutes. The cop had to come over, the market manager, people telling him to shut up. I just continued to set up, saying only "I'm not going to talk about this here."

I suppose I didn't write about it here because of everyone's warnings, and my stupidity. I am waaaay too trusting.

So, I have been baking at my mum's as she has a spotless kitchen, two ovens, and lots of counter space. My bread teacher suggested that it was probably a thousand times cleaner than most commercial kitchens, and I believe she's right. PLUS, I can't afford $100 an hour for a kitchen. The market's only going on for another two weeks, and I can not wait until it's over. Then I can concentrate on my next steps.

I only have left to say to all who have given me such good advice : I am an idiot, and you are smart and savvy. Actually, I am not sooo stupid, I only gave him money from the first week, and kept everything just in case something like this happened.

Now...GET IT IN WRITING!