• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

:angry:  Well, my KA Professional 600 refuses to make pizza dough any longer.  It still runs for "easy" things, but forget any doughs.

Do you know what year it was made?

Could you post your dough recipe?

I'm curious. I've had two pro 600s, both newer models with the cast metal gear case. I replaced the first one because of minor problems, but both could handle any dough I threw at them. The only task that even makes them warm is grinding piles of meat with the grinder attachment.

KA has definitely had its share of quality control problems (just like all the makers of home mixers). I suspect that if a pro 600 fails at making dough that it used to be able to make, or dough that you could make no problem in a 4 or 5 qt mixer, then there's something actually wrong with that particular mixer.

Notes from the underbelly

Dougal - I've not seen Kenwoods, although they aren't widely available here in the U.S. I won't need the pasta attachment since I have a pro machine.

PaulRaphael - I purchased the Pro 600 in the fall of '05, and I had to wait for delivery since they were OOS. So, I'm guessing it was made either late summer or early fall '05.

My dough recipe is pretty standard for pizza - 100% flour, 50 - 60% water by weight. My old Hobart made went though it easily, and the same for my 10 qt. Hobart. I called customer service many times, and someone was suppose to test the recipe, but that never happened. I know one thing... I'll never buy another!

Dougal - I've not seen Kenwoods, although they are

PaulRaphael - I purchased the Pro 600 in the fall of '05, and I had to wait for delivery since they were OOS.  So, I'm guessing it was made either late summer or early fall '05. 

My dough recipe is pretty standard for pizza - 100% flour, 50 - 60% water by weight.  My old Hobart made went though it easily, and the same for my 10 qt. Hobart.  I called customer service many times, and someone was suppose to test the recipe, but that never happened.  I know one thing... I'll never buy another!

was your old hobart a hobart kitchenaid or a commercial hobart?

how much dough are you making?

if ka is giving you the runaround, i'd suggest going to the forums at their website. there are some world class goofballs over there, but some really helpful people too, including ka reps.

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...
was your  old hobart a hobart kitchenaid or a commercial hobart?

how much dough are you making?

if ka is giving you the runaround, i'd suggest going  to the forums at their website. there are some world class goofballs over there, but some really helpful people too, including ka reps.

It is an old Hobart-made KA. I'm thinking that it may be worth getting repaired, regardless of what I decide about the Bosch vs. DLX. Only because it is a Hobart made machine would I do this.

I usually make about nine cups of flour when I make pizza dough in the 600.

I did visit the KA forum, and I had one mod early on who refused to accept that I had a lemon. In fact, in the early stages, she wouldn't approve my posts. I finally complained, and she apologized and the posts went through. Someone named Vern was supposed to hand the recipe off to an engineer, but they never got back to me either via post, email, or phone. I've given up on KA.

From the time I got the 600, I had to wear earplugs when making marshmallows because the noise was so high-pitched and loud. How silly!! Despite numerous requests for help, I never got it. I won't buy another. I work too hard for my money to waste it on a produce that the company refuses to admit could be defective.

Again, this is only my experience. I know that for every lemon, there are hundreds of machines that have no problems. I just wasn't that lucky and had hoped that the company would stand behind the product rather than blaming the user, who had been using a KA for 20 years and had no problems with the old machine.

:smile:

I have done my best to look through this thread and the archives and hope I am not repeating an already dismissed topic.

I heard just a few days ago about a new beater for stand mixers called the "Beater Blade" by New Metro Design LLC.  Does anyone know anything about it?

It is supposed to have the same action as a car window wiper blade and scrape the side of the bowl continuously.  It is made for KA and Cuisinart and I can't remember what other machines.  The information came from About.com.

Thanks

I just bought one. See beaterblade.com. I got mine on Amazon. 29.95 is the top price, varies according to your mixer size/brand, lowest is 24.95.

I notice they are recently making them available for other mixers too.

According to some reviews on several sites, owners love them.

I haven't even tried mine yet.

:laugh:

I lied!

A couple of weeks ago I bought this Hobart N-50 prototype mixer.

PROTOTYPEHOBARTN50.jpg

I had to have it because it has a Kitchenaid Model G mixer's flat back, but is labeled a Hobart N-50 and is 1/8 hp rather than the Model G's 1/10 hp.

PROTOTYPEHOBARTN502.jpg

The instruction manual I have for this fairly rare mixer is dated March 1947 -- and the round back with screw in fuse Hobart N-50 mixers were not produced until October 1947.

All of which means that my new mixer was produced between March and October 1947. There could not have been that many made because the time period is so limited.

It's a beauty!

I have its brother and a pile of attachments and extra bowls. When I get home from my trip I will check the Serial number on mine - it's not as pretty as yours as it lived in a bakery for quite a few years. I bought it some time in the early to mid '70s.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks Andie!

When you get home could you post photos of your N50?  I sure would like to see it.

It's in my storage room so I will have to get some help to drag it out. I have the "extras" in a rolling bin but the mixer itself was shoved under the bottom shelf and it is too heavy for me to move now.

(It's tough to get old!!! :huh:)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm eying a stand mixer some time soon. I had a delonghi/kenwood 7 qt. a few years ago and sold it. It strained on heavy doughs, and had a hard time with small quantities of egg whites, etc., and I just didn't have room for it. I think the only thing I made in it that it truly seemed suited for was marshmallows, and cake/cookie recipes with the paddle.

The electrolux sounds prety awesome for bread, but one big drawback to it would be the plastic bowl for whipping egg whites. i'm guessing that means an italian meringue (made with 235 degree sugar syrup) is out of the question with such a setup, and I use that as the base for a lot of things (it's my standard meringue, or for buttercream, or for macrons, and don't marshmallows also involve soft ball temp syrup?)... Plastic and hot syrup wouldn't seem to mix.

I'm thinking that if the whipper setup used all metal, it would be just about perfect.

Not to reply to my own post, but I think I've ruled out the electrolux and the currently available bosch machines, a plastic bowl for whipping whites just isn't going to cut it for marshmallows or italian meringue...

Next question: Is the kitchen aid "commercial" machine so expensive just becuase of NSF and commercial UL certifications, or is it actually beefed up over the "professional" 5 or 6? I'm not crazy about the white, but everything else in the kitchen is stainless except the countertop which is black so I think I could live with it, and I doubt it'd be stored on the coutertop anyway. The power rating is worse than the commercial, but that doesn't really mean anything. I notice it has the non-dishwasher safe hook, paddle, and whisk.

I don't know how you prepare your Italian meringue but I have prepared hundreds of batches in my DLX and have never noticed a problem. I know a caterer who uses it for similar purposes and she has never mentioned any problem and she uses hers a lot more than I do.

It is much easier to pour the hot syrup in a fine thread into the egg whites with this machine than with any others I have used. There is no motor head in the way and the top edge of the bowl is lower than my KAs.

If you want more detailed information about the specs on the composition of the bowl and beaters you can send an email query to Electrolux or even call them.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I don't know how you prepare your Italian meringue but I have prepared hundreds of batches in my DLX and have never noticed a problem.  I know a caterer who uses it for similar purposes and she has never mentioned any problem and she uses hers a lot more than I do.

Interesting. I prepare it in what I assume is the "normal" way, I whip egg whites to soft peaks, then add soft-ball temp syrup and whip to stiff peaks. I wouldn't think hot sugar syrup and plastic would mix, I melted a trashcan once with a batch that I overshot soft ball temp on :)

I dunno. The DLX is appealing for the way it kneads bread and such, and the egg whipping design seems pretty ingenious. But OTOH, the all metal construction of the bowl and whips for the KA seems more sensible, and I've heard great things about KA's customer service.

What I really want is to find a deal on a hobart n-50. There are a couple on the bay right now, but no clue how high they'll go and I'm not quite ready to buy yet (moving in February).

• 5 weeks later...

Once more I am seeking advice on mixers available in Europe (France). I went through a long decision making process in the spring., tried a KitchenAid which had problems, returned it and went with Kenwood Chef Titanium. Loved it for the three weeks I had it, then had to return it for a part - that was mid June, and I am still without my machine. After close to two months, the repairman said he had never succeeded in getting parts from Kenwood now that they are part of Delonghi, and recommended I ask for a replacement. I did, he says he removed the serial number plate and forwarded it to the Internet store where I bought it - and since then nothing has happened. They say they never received it, Kenwood wont do anything without it, and no one seems to care that it has now been 7 months since I had a machine.

On the assumption that my calls and mail to Kenwood in France and head office in England will some day have an effect ,and I may even get my money back, I am now looking at the Krups 9000 series.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I saw a semi-professional using one on the French news last night, but don't know anyone who has one.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I now have two KA stand mixers that don't turn on.

First, I have a 20+ year-old KA made by Hobart. It's a 4.5 quart version. It stopped running around 4 years ago and I decided to treat myself to a newer 5 quart model. This one (a KSM150PSBK) just stopped this morning, while I was making lemon bars. Not a very heavy load. The speeds quit working properly, I turned it off, and when I turned it back on .... nothing happened. I let it sit for an hour and still nothing. Called KA and they said, too bad but it's out of warrenty, pay someone to get it fixed. The closest KA repair place is around 15 miles away and only open Mon-Fri so this won't be fun.

The big question is: which KA mixer should I get fixed?

The heavier (!), lower wattage (250 watts), smaller work bowl, Hobart-made one that is nearly 25 years old or the newer, higher wattage (365 watts), larger work bowl, KA made one. I'm inclined to take in the older one and if they can fix it, just try to live with the smaller work bowl.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I hate to stick with KA but I have the pasta roller attachments and make tons of pasta and would hate to give that up.

Okay, I now have two KA stand mixers that don't turn on.

First, I have a 20+ year-old KA made by Hobart. It's a 4.5 quart version. It stopped running around 4 years ago and I decided to treat myself to a newer 5 quart model. This one (a KSM150PSBK) just stopped this morning, while I was making lemon bars. Not a very heavy load. The speeds quit working properly, I turned it off, and when I turned it back on .... nothing happened. I let it sit for an hour and still nothing. Called KA and they said, too bad but it's out of warrenty, pay someone to get it fixed. The closest KA repair place is around 15 miles away and only open Mon-Fri so this won't be fun.

The big question is: which KA mixer should I get fixed?

The heavier (!), lower wattage (250 watts), smaller work bowl, Hobart-made one that is nearly 25 years old or the newer, higher wattage (365 watts), larger work bowl, KA made one.  I'm inclined to take in the older one and if they can fix it, just try to live with the smaller work bowl.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I hate to stick with KA but I have the pasta roller attachments and make tons of pasta and would hate to give that up.

I think my DH would suggest flipping a coin in this case. I can offer only sympathy. I went back and reread a couple of pages of this thread. More unhappiness I bet than on any other eG thread! :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Okay, now after sitting in my cool mudroom for a couple of days the KA Artisan decided to work. I've been trying it off and on since it died and all of a sudden it came to life. Same outlet and everything.

I also found my Williams-Sonoma receipt from 2004. So, I'm thinking I should return it and put the money I spend on it towards one of the larger all-metal ones that they carry - like the Pro 610. That would buy me some piece of mind, the newer dough hook, and larger capacity (which I don't need). At this point I don't really trust it to not crap out again. The return policy at W-S does say to return if not completely satisfied ........ :unsure:

I also checked into getting older one repaired and it's only $15 for them to look at it. So I'm definitely doing that and keep it for a back-up. It's a 4.5 quart and is too small for much of what I make but it would make a great back-up machine.

Okay, now after sitting in my cool mudroom for a couple of days the KA Artisan decided to work. I've been trying it off and on since it died and all of a sudden it came to life. Same outlet and everything.

I also found my Williams-Sonoma receipt from 2004. So, I'm thinking I should return it and put the money I spend on it towards one of the larger all-metal ones that they carry - like the Pro 610. That would buy me some piece of mind, the newer dough hook, and larger capacity (which I don't need). At this point I don't really trust it to not crap out again. The return policy at W-S does say to return if not completely satisfied ........ :unsure:

I also checked into getting older one repaired and it's only $15 for them to look at it. So I'm definitely doing that and keep it for a back-up. It's a 4.5 quart and is too small for much of what I make but it would make a great back-up machine.

You probably overloaded the motor and keyed the overload protection. It shuts things down untill it cools off so you dont burn things beyond hope.

some machines have a manual reset and others do not.look in the manual and see what yours is...

Bud

I have found W-S to provide consistently great service on returns. Call a shop nearby to check and then take it in for an exchange or credit.

I think I've posted this link before, but it should do no harm to bring it to attention again.

This site sells parts for KA mixers, and offers a free download of a service manual.

http://www.mendingshed.com/kitaidparts.html

I don't 'do' KA, and have never dealt with them.

However, I have the impression that the KA mixers are DIY-fixable, if the parts can be sourced.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thanks for all the responses!

I don't think it was overheating (it started out by not changing speeds, only the curd for lemon bars made it cut out the first time, very liquid and the top of the mixer was cool to the touch). I checked and there is no manual reset, you just should wait 30 minutes for it to cool off. It didn't work either that day nor the next nor the morning of the day after that. I used it again last night - soft pizza dough (on speed 2, off course) - and it quit responding to speed changes and cut off again.

So I called W-S customer service, explained the issue, said I had found the receipt and it was from 2004(!). They said, no problem, just bring it in to my local store and they would either replace it or give me a refund. I said "are you sure, it's so old", and she assured me it was fine.

This morning I brought it over to my local store and although the manager wasn't exactly jumping up and down with excitement she warmed up when I explained I wanted to buy the larger one.

So I am now the proud owner of a KA 610. The first cake is in the oven and I just love the bowl lift style. It is much easier to use. And the pouring shield may actually get used - it's one piece, big, and easy to get on and off. The first thing I did was properly set the beater to bowl clearance, the gap was a little too large.

One of the things the KA folks said when I originally called in my problem was caution me that the bowl lift models are a lot louder because of the metal construction. But I have to say that it's quieter than the one I just returned. Maybe it had a bad motor from the start.

I still plan to get my old 4.5 mixer fixed to act as a back up and if I really do need a smaller bowl for something. But I am pleased I was able to get this resolved so quickly. W-S really came through.

It's been a couple of months since the BeaterBlades were mentioned on this thread. Has anyone bought one? Tried one? Liked it?

I am still thinking about purchasing one for my 7 quart Cuisinart, although when making Montelimar nougat a couple of days ago, it did handle two lone egg whites reasonably well.

Any comments on the BeaterBlade? :huh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.