• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

Electrolux is also not available here.

So I may just have to hold my nose, jump in and see what happens.

I have friends who now live in Grenoble and have an Electrolux. I am sure they bought it in France.

I looked in my Electrolux service guide and in the French section (I am not familiar with the language) there is an address in Senlis, France (43 Ave. Felix Louat)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I haven't yet read this entire post, but has anyone had experience with the Anvil 10qt mixer? It's a commercial counter-top model. Is this too much machine for home use!?

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Credit card in hand I was prepared to buy the Cuisinart since I sell them and would get it at cost. I haven't started stocking them yet, but was planning to for the holidays. After reading the comments here, I'll just back away quietly.

But this all came because for the zillionth time I've cut my finger tip, and I'm tired of kneading 4.5 lbs of dough every morning, and often times with cuts on my hands which means I can't knead my dough bare-handed! What a pain in the ass my friends!

I'm intrigued by the Electrolux and the higher end KA series. Its got to be able to handle that dough - I killed my previous KA be over-tasking it.

And as for service, my nearest KA service provider is 4 hours away in Albuquerque which is not realistic. That's going to be the same for any brand I get. Any commercial, small output bakers want to direct me before I do the deed in the next few days?

I recently added a 7 qt Viking stand mixer to my repertoire. I have an old KitchenAid (old enough to actually have words saying "Lock" and "Unlock" on the lever on the side). The bowl (4.5 qt) is not big enough to handle a batch of pita bread dough all at once, and it strains to mix my challah. And it every so often drips a little oil into the bowl.

The Viking is so far holding up its end of the bargain. I love the wheels, but even with the wheels it doesn't creep on the countertop the way the KA did. I'm getting used to the fact that the head locks up. It came with the blender attachment, which makes the whole assembly so tall as to be nearly useless, since I'm not eight feet tall. And it's pretty and red, to boot.

That said, I still use the KA for smaller jobs, where a 7 qt bowl is overkill, or when I need a second bowl. I'm spoiled. :biggrin:

MelissaH

edited to fix the size of the mixer

Edited by MelissaH (log)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Credit card in hand I was prepared to buy the Cuisinart since I sell them and would get it at cost.  I haven't started stocking them yet, but was planning to for the holidays.  After reading the comments here, I'll just back away quietly.

But this all came because for the zillionth time I've cut my finger tip, and I'm tired of kneading 4.5 lbs of dough every morning, and often times with cuts on my hands which means I can't knead my dough bare-handed!  What a pain in the ass my friends!

I'm intrigued by the Electrolux and the higher end KA series.  Its got to be able to handle that dough - I killed my previous KA be over-tasking it. 

And as for service, my nearest KA service provider is 4 hours away in Albuquerque which is not realistic.  That's going to be the same for any brand I get.  Any commercial, small output bakers want to direct me before I do the deed in the next few days?

I've had my Electrolux for several years and use it primarily for dense, heavy doughs (the kind which destroyed two 5-qt KAs, (bowl-lift) which were replaced but I discontinued using them for heavy doughs).

It was Peter Reinhart's Struan bread dough that was the main problem.

The Electrolux works differently from other household mixers and it does take a bit of learning how to use it.

I seldom use the dough hook, generally just the roller/scraper but do use the dough hook for blending ingredients in some recipes (such as fruit cakes, which also strain the KA and my recipes are too large for even the 6-qt KA).

I also use it for cookie doughs that are too stiff for the KAs and for blending the ground dried fruit and nut mixtures I prepare for confections.

A big plus for me is the TIMER - especially with my brioche dough that has to be kneaded for 12-15 minutes while adding flour a tablespoon at a time, and my favorite French bread that also requires longer kneading. Both these doughs had a tendency to climb up the dough hook in the KA - very annoying, having to stop the mixer and push the dough back down into the bowl every couple of minutes.

In earlier posts I have recommended my favorite online vendor of small appliances, Pleasant Hill Grain.

I began purchasing from them when they had an online site but only took phone orders (until online security was fool-proof)

They have never failed to be extraordinarily polite and helpful, even when asked some rather dumb questions. They are more than happy to answer questions, even if one does not purchase the item and their prices are very competitive. They include optional accessories that other vendors charge extra for.

And they ship rapidly and pack securely.

(I have no relation to the vendor, except as a customer.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recently added a 7 qt Viking stand mixer to my repertoire. I have an old KitchenAid (old enough to actually have words saying "Lock" and "Unlock" on the lever on the side). MelissaH

Mine says Lock and Unlock too. I know its old, but do you know how old?

I have done my best to look through this thread and the archives and hope I am not repeating an already dismissed topic.

I heard just a few days ago about a new beater for stand mixers called the "Beater Blade" by New Metro Design LLC. Does anyone know anything about it?

It is supposed to have the same action as a car window wiper blade and scrape the side of the bowl continuously. It is made for KA and Cuisinart and I can't remember what other machines. The information came from About.com.

Thanks

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I heard just a few days ago about a new beater for stand mixers called the "Beater Blade" by New Metro Design LLC.  Does anyone know anything about it?

It is supposed to have the same action as a car window wiper blade and scrape the side of the bowl continuously.  It is made for KA and Cuisinart and I can't remember what other machines.  The information came from About.com.

I recalled a specific thread on that type of beater, and, amazingly, managed to locate it!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=114634

But I don't think that specific one got a mention.

EDIT: Wrong !! BeaterBlade (all one word) is mentioned (and linked) in the very first post on that thread :rolleyes:

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I recalled a specific thread on that type of beater, and, amazingly, managed to locate it!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=114634

But I don't think that specific one got a mention.

Thanks so much Dougal. You are amazing!!! :biggrin:

I quote a line from that series of posts:...."Think about it if these paddle attachments were so good don't you think that kitchen-aid would already have them on their mixers. "

Gives one pause....

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ah, but did you notice that they are now a standard 'bonus' on the high-end current UK Kenwoods?

The Kenwood 'flexible beaters' are a £30 ($65?) accessory, and not bundled with their basic products.

However, they are included, as an addition - not a replacement for the K-beater paddle, with the 'Titanium' spec machines.

I read this as suggesting that these things do add something - for specific jobs - but at a noticeable additional cost to the manufacturer. (And a retail price I've held off paying!)

Since KA would seem to have recently become more 'cost conscious', they may prefer to wait and see whether there is enough market demand for them to bother changing their familiar ways... :wink:

Being good, but at a price, and not recognised as an essential, might explain KA's disinterest!

However, if a buyer was specifically wanting a cake-beater, it might well be worth a pop.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Ah, but did you notice that they are now a standard 'bonus' on the high-end current UK Kenwoods?

The Kenwood 'flexible beaters' are a £30 ($65?) accessory, and not bundled with their basic products.

I did not know that. I have a Cuisinart. I phoned the local specialty kitchen place (Ontario, Canada) and they had not even heard of them.

Thanks. They are listed in the About.com article at $39.99 US.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I recently added a 7 qt Viking stand mixer to my repertoire. I have an old KitchenAid (old enough to actually have words saying "Lock" and "Unlock" on the lever on the side). MelissaH

I don't remember exactly which birthday I got it. I'm pretty sure it happened before I graduated from college but after I moved out of the dorms, which would mean either 1992 or 1993. It's blue because that's the color that was on sale. :smile:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Gfron don't know if it is too late or not, but the Pleasant Hill Grain site mentioned earlier has several returned models of the electrolux mixed on there clearnce page these come with the full warenty as well. They are still outside my current price range, but then again this range is infunced by the fact that my POS (sounds like a lawn mower but has out lived my KA) kenmore stand mixer is functioning no matter how thick of bread I make in it. I can not bring my self to replace it till it dies no matter how much my girlfriend complains when it is running. Not that I can hear her complaining over it anyways.

Edited by jonnyCinco (log)

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes

Well, I've now made up my mind to go with Kenwood...

So now it's down to the Premier 560 Chef, 4.6 litre bowl and 1000w, at 300 euros, or the Titanium KM010 Chef, again with 4.6L bowl, but 1400W, and  420 euros.

The more I look at the Titanium Chef, the more I'm convinced that it's the same machine as the Viking stand mixer in different garb. It has different specs, but it looks so very similar, down to the shape of the bowl. For your sake, I hope it isn't. The Viking has gotten just terrible reviews.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone yet have the New Bosch Universal Plus Mixer? I have seen it in a local shop, but have not seen it in operation. They are really light weight, but the shop owner says it doesn't walk.

• 3 weeks later...

:angry: Well, my KA Professional 600 refuses to make pizza dough any longer. It still runs for "easy" things, but forget any doughs. I am furious that KA did not deal with this when I first purchased it a few years ago. All I kept getting is that someone there was going to duplicate my pizza dough recipe and get back to me. After so many inquires of "what happened," I gave up on hearing from them.

I've read these reviews, and I think it won't be worth putting more money into this monster. I can either fix my old Hobart-made KA 4.5 quart, or buy another machine. My hesitation in the 4.5 quart is that it just isn't big enough to handle the batches I make now.

I use my mixer for everything, so whatever I do get would have to be able to do a decent job on things from dough to egg whites. I would like something w/a decent warranty. Any suggestions?

Edited to add: How do the Electrolux and Bosch compare?

Edited by LaMiaCucina (log)

...  Any suggestions?

Electrolux DLX.

If you don't know about it... http://www.everythingkitchens.com/electroluxvideo.html

Big (domestic) dough batches.

Whipper for fast and light stuff.

Optional: one serious grinder (and its attachments).

The machine is built like a train. (But the whipper bits are plastic.)

Search around and you'll find out that once people figure out how to use the thing, they love it.

Even on this same thread, you'll find ... http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1602054

I agree with Dougal. I also loooove the timer which allows me to set the machine for kneading dough and go off and do something else knowing it will stop the process when I set it.

The company is coming out with a newer, more powerful mixer (more expensive though) in a month and I am seriously considering getting one.

In the past I have written extensively about the Electrolux, aka (AEG, Magic Mill DLX 2000, Assistant, etc.) both here and on the Bread-Bakers email forum.

In my 50 years of baking, I have owned both Hobart KAs and bigger Hobart mixers and never had a problem with them. Only after KA was no longer Hobart, did I have problems, burning out the motors on two of the 5-qt bowl lifts and have the replacement but never use it for dough.

I have the 6-qt Pro and can do "light" or slack dough small batches in it but the bigger batches go into the Electrolux (8 quart) and I seldom use the dough hook for kneading - the roller/scraper combo does a good job for my purposes.

I do use the dough hook for mixing the ground fruit and nut mixtures I make up for "candies" as it is easier than doing it by hand.

I can't speak for other vendors but I depend on Pleasant Hill Grain and if you have any specific questions, you can call them toll-free and they will answer all your questions.

A few years ago King Arthur Flour sold the Electrolux but I think the machines were too big for many of their pre-packaged bread mixes and they discontinued it, however, I understand from people who have visited their store, that they still use them in their test kitchen.

Interestingly, America's Test Kitchen tested the Electrolux and didn't like it because it was "too big to be practical." Several readers, including me, wrote into say that they didn't give it a fair test.

• 2 weeks later...

I have definitely decided to purchase either the Bosch and Electrolux mixer. I have a couple of questions for those of you who one one, the other, or both. :)

1. How do you find the noise level? (My KA Pro was so noisy that when beating egg whites or marshmallows, I had to wear ear plugs.)

2. How well does it cream?

3. Same as #2 but for whipping?

4. Does any particular recipe seem to bog it down?

5. Is there anything in particular that you find as a negative to the machine?

6. Does anyone know of any sites that I can view to compare?

7. Would you buy it again if the one you have now broke, or would you try another brand, and why?

Thank you!

We have a 4.5 quart KA that says Lock and Unlock - I turned it over and there is a paper tag in the stand casting that says 11878. We purchased the KA in 1978 when it was only available at professional restaurant supply outlets. Does this help?

Jmahl

Edited by Jmahl (log)

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I have definitely decided to purchase either the Bosch and Electrolux mixer.  I have a couple of questions for those of you who one one, the other, or both. :)

I have the DLX.

I'd say its quieter than an old Kenwood KM 210, which I believe to be quieter than KA's.

I don't have the double beater whipper, so I can't speak for its performance.

It handles normal dough (and lots of it) easily, but Reinhart's epoxy method (combining two stiff 'doughs' + more liquid) isn't easy because the liquid firstly lubricates the lumps of stiff dough, preventing the mixer 'getting a proper grip' on them. But it's probably just that I need to work on my DLX technique!

Accessories seem generally high quality (the mega grinder makes the KA look like a plastic toy) but expensive. However there's a wider range of 'bits' for the Kenwood, and they seem to be getting better - I'm interested in the bronze die pasta extruder for example. The DLX just offers plastic pasta extruding disks to fit that grinder...

I don't think there's an equally rugged, and equally capacious, dough mixer at anything near the DLX's price.