• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

• 4 weeks later...

My year-old KA 600 Pro 6-qt stalled out this morning while mixing a batch of farina cookies. It is a fairly stiff dough but my old 5-qt was always able to handle it okay.

It began with the speed controls not working at all settings. That is, the speed was the same on settings 2 and 4 and jumped to much faster at 6, no change when moved to 8.

I transferred the dough to the Electrolux and finished the mixing.

This is not a good time to have a breakdown but fortunately I do have a "few" extra mixers but for now have to rely on the Electrolux as the new KA is at present only a large paperweight.

If all else fails, I can drag out my old KA Model G, which still has plenty of oomph in spite of being 80-years-old!

(Although I will have to get someone to lift it onto a heavy-duty cart because it weighs considerably more than modern home mixers.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

amazon is having a special right now with the 6qt Kitchen Aid Pro on sale (with a rebate) for $210...that seems like a pretty good price...so much so that I'm tempted even though I already have two Kitchen Aid stand mixers.  :blink:

I saw that too. If I had any chance of having space for one, I'd buy it in a second. Unfortunately, I don't, so I'll be letting this deal pass me by :rolleyes:

Kate

amazon is having a special right now with the 6qt Kitchen Aid Pro on sale (with a rebate) for $210...that seems like a pretty good price...so much so that I'm tempted even though I already have two Kitchen Aid stand mixers.  :blink:

I saw that too. If I had any chance of having space for one, I'd buy it in a second. Unfortunately, I don't, so I'll be letting this deal pass me by :rolleyes:

i did take the deal and bought the licorice one for 209 (after $50) rebate

good thing i did the price on that color is now $360 today! the only color left at that price is meringue which is a pretty color... if anyone wants to get one at that price-it is only good for the next 17 hrs fyi

thanks alana for the awesome tip!

s

Edited by sammifloater (log)

My year-old KA 600 Pro 6-qt stalled out this morning while mixing a batch of farina cookies.  It is a fairly stiff dough but my old 5-qt was always able to handle it okay.

It began with the speed controls not working at all settings.  That is, the speed was the same on settings 2 and 4 and jumped to much faster at 6, no change when moved to 8.

This is not a good time to have a breakdown but fortunately I do have a "few" extra mixers but for now have to rely on the Electrolux as the new KA is at present only a large paperweight.

If all else fails, I can drag out my old KA Model G, which still has plenty of oomph in spite of being 80-years-old!

(Although I will have to get someone to lift it onto a heavy-duty cart because it weighs considerably more than modern home mixers.)

I guess they just don't make them like they used to. I have a 15yr old classic KA and I'd like to get something bigger and badder but I don't think it would be the same quality.

Did you call KA about your mixer? I hope they're going to fix it.

My year-old KA 600 Pro 6-qt stalled out this morning while mixing a batch of farina cookies.  It is a fairly stiff dough but my old 5-qt was always able to handle it okay.

It began with the speed controls not working at all settings.  That is, the speed was the same on settings 2 and 4 and jumped to much faster at 6, no change when moved to 8.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to. I have a 15yr old classic KA and I'd like to get something bigger and badder but I don't think it would be the same quality.

Did you call KA about your mixer? I hope they're going to fix it.

I have left three messages and have yet to get a response. It is probably a very busy season for them.

Fortunately, my Electrolux has performed to perfection.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"If all else fails, I can drag out my old KA Model G, which still has plenty of oomph in spite of being 80-years-old!

(Although I will have to get someone to lift it onto a heavy-duty cart because it weighs considerably more than modern home mixers.)"

The KA Model G is a great powerful mixer! I just love mine! :wub:

"A last thought, I often see baby real Hobarts used in restaurant supply stores."

The Hobart N-50 is the little engine that could! It thinks it can, and then does everything with ease. :wub:

I used an old KitchenAid Hobart for years at my folks place and loved it. I just bought a pro 5+, and while the soft-start feature is a life-saver, it definitely does not have the power of the old one, despite higher wattage ratings, but I haven't been able to not knead anything with the hook yet, it just slows a little when I first mix a dough with the paddle.

One issue: For some reason the catch at the back of the bowl that fits into the metal clip won't stay put....anyone know if there is some KA part that I could replace it with that will hold the bowl better?

• 1 month later...
So after a few years of heavy use, our KA 6 qt reconditioned stand mixer just imploded; it'll cost about $200 to fix. I think we're going to strip it for parts and get a new machine.

I've been looking around at the options and they're not looking too good. Because our checking account can't abide certain consumer desires, we have to say no to the Hobart N-50 and it's $1800 price tag. Other options like the DeLonghi make us wary, partly because we cannot check them out in person but also because we have accessories for the KA that I use regularly (pasta roller and meat grinder) and that would cost a pretty penny to replace.

For a while, we were thinking more and more about just grabbing a Hobart-era KA from eBay, which may still happen. But after some conversations with two folks here who work in the restaurant supply business and reading up a bit, we're growing intrigued by this KitchenAid  Commercial 5 Series (model KM25G0X). It apparently has a better motor design, stands up to tougher kitchen tasks, uses the new dough hook, and is getting rave reviews. It lists for $545; I can get it for about $380 locally (important for us if possible).

Has anyone got experience with this precise model? I think it's different than the more common KV25G0X found all over the place, including Amazon; I believe that KV model is no longer available (can't find it on the KA website).

Thanks in advance.

So, Chris, you've had this for almost a year. The verdict?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Good but not great. Admittedly, my usage tends to pretty sturdy stuff: kneading and rolling pasta, grinding and beating sausage meats. A few months ago, using the machine for the latter, it started to whine a little bit as if the motor were being pushed too hand, and since then it's still been a bit screechy. I have been trotting out the old machine to do the grinding as a result.

Having said that, for most other tasks, it's been great. Good paddle and whisk reach, very powerful, good capacity, extremely fast on small jobs (whisking egg whites is a breeze). I'll check in with the wife/baker tonight to see what she wants to add.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

So after a few years of heavy use, our KA 6 qt reconditioned stand mixer just imploded; it'll cost about $200 to fix. I think we're going to strip it for parts and get a new machine.

I've been looking around at the options and they're not looking too good. Because our checking account can't abide certain consumer desires, we have to say no to the Hobart N-50 and it's $1800 price tag. Other options like the DeLonghi make us wary, partly because we cannot check them out in person but also because we have accessories for the KA that I use regularly (pasta roller and meat grinder) and that would cost a pretty penny to replace.

For a while, we were thinking more and more about just grabbing a Hobart-era KA from eBay, which may still happen. But after some conversations with two folks here who work in the restaurant supply business and reading up a bit, we're growing intrigued by this KitchenAid  Commercial 5 Series (model KM25G0X). It apparently has a better motor design, stands up to tougher kitchen tasks, uses the new dough hook, and is getting rave reviews. It lists for $545; with I can get it for about $380 locally (important for us if possible).

Has anyone got experience with this precise model? I think it's different than the more common KV25G0X found all over the place, including Amazon; I believe that KV model is no longer available (can't find it on the KA website).

Thanks in advance.

So, Chris, you've had this for almost a year. The verdict?

I have had a KM25G. for 3 years . Its the 5qt "commercial.". It replaced the prior model commercial.that I had for 9 years or so . I bake 5 batches of 1.8kg (4lb aprox),of bread dough every other week. With the spiral dough hook it has never kicked the overload breaker once, nor does it get hot.or seem to be "working to hard".It is a fine unit. The best part of the kitchenaid is their Customer service. It is better by far than any other company I have ever had occasion to use.

Bud

• 2 weeks later...
Bigger isn't necessarily better. If you can tolerate that--and you feel you'd gain by being able to do larger batches of cake batter or need larger amounts of whipped creams or meringues, fine.  But I think you might actually find it harder to do pastry things well with this larger bowl size.

I've read several comments about the KA 6-quart bowl being too large to do smaller batches. I haven't read through the whole thread to see if this has been addressed yet, but KitchenAid also sells 3-quart bowl (and whip) attachment that fits the 6-quart models (and 5-quart models) for those doing smaller batches. KitchenAid sells it for $69.99, but you can find it cheaper at other places (Williams-Sonoma has it for $59.99).

Also, for those who are paying full price for the 600 Pro, consider buying it at Williams-Sonoma. They have a lifetime warranty on all their products (even if the manufacturer offers a limited warranty). I've bought several All-Clad pans from them over the years and when ever something happens to one of them (like the non-stick coating wears down), they replace it with a new one with no questions asked. When I bought my KA 600 Pro over the weekend, I asked the sales lady about the warranty on it and she said that Williams-Sonoma offers a lifetime warranty on it.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I've read several comments about the KA 6-quart bowl being too large to do smaller batches.  I haven't read through the whole thread to see if this has been addressed yet, but KitchenAid also sells 3-quart bowl (and whip) attachment that fits the 6-quart models (and 5-quart models) for those doing smaller batches.  KitchenAid sells it for $69.99, but you can find it cheaper at other places (Williams-Sonoma has it for $59.99).

I know a lot of people who use the 600 for small jobs without trouble. It may have trouble with a really small job, like whipping a single egg white (something I'd probably do with a hand mixer anyway).

For something this small, before getting the $70 small bowl, I'd try the new 11-tine whisk attachment. Supposedly it whips more efficiently, and reaches better into the bottome of the bowl. It's more like a classic balloon whisk (and is similar to the newer hobart whips). They're around $30. And they can replace the old whisk for every kind of job.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have finally decided! No more mixer purchases for me! :rolleyes:

I have just completed negotiations on this little baby, which gives me a grand total of 14 mixers .... [after I pay off my layaway].

I think it is the Ultimate Stand Mixer. :wub:

10qt bowl

uses all vintage or new Kitchenaid hub attachments

and legendary Hobart quality!

I will put an engraved plaque [loaned in memory of my mom] on it , and loan it to my church's kitchen.

What do you think of my new baby ....... a Hobart C-100?

HOBARTC-100.jpg

Why do you have 14 stand mixers?? :blink::rolleyes:

Love your 'new' Hobart :wub: You can leave it with me for testing, if you wish.

"It's like Betty Crocker and Charles Manson had a love child" - Anthony Bourdain

It's a terrific machine. I had one for almost thirty years and only got rid of it when I simply was no longer able to move it easily.

Why do you have 14 stand mixers?? :blink:  :rolleyes:

Love your 'new' Hobart :wub: You can leave it with me for testing, if you wish.

I'm glad you and Andie like it!

Only 2 KA model G chrome mixers and a KA K-4C stainless steel mixer live with me.

[KA KSS] lives with Aunt Laura

[KA K-5A] lives with my friend Bay

[KA K-5A] lives with church cooking class

[KA K-5A] lives with church cooking class

[KA K] lives with church cooking class

[KA 3-B] lives with church cooking class

[KA 4-B] lives with church cooking class

[KA 4-B] lives with my friend Joyce

[KA 3-B] lives with my Aunt Phyllis

[Hobart N-50] lives with my Aunt Phyllis

This Hobart C-100 will live with another Church kitchen, not the same church as the cooking class.

Edited by AmbrosiaFood (log)