• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

I'd definitely agree with the decision to not get the cuisinart. I checked one out thoroughly at the store, and was extremely disappointed in the construction. It appeared to be designed by a marketing department in order to photograph well.

the machine also has no track record; i don't want to be a beta tester.

I'd avoid delonghi, too, since they have a record of problems similar to KA's, but they don't have KA's extensive repair and replacement policies.

I think KA is the only game in town unless you upgrade to a true commercial mixer at several times the cost.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

The Cuisinart wasn't the one for me.  The DeLonghi wasn't an option.  I had a limited time to purchase and it wasn't available where I was.  So I had a few KA mixers and the Cuisinart to choose from, and I went with the KA 600 Pro+.  It lists for $699 here, and I was able to get one for $300.  So I think I'm happy, but only time will tell.

I really really like the KA pro 600 and I think you will too. I looked at the Cuisinart for the cottage, but didn't like it enough to try it at the price. And $300 is a great great deal.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Pam, is that $300 Canadian?  Where did you pick it up?

It was $300 US, but as of last week, that was Canadian as well (parity is grand). I was in Grand Forks, ND for a couple of days and the best deal was at Kohl's. There was also a KA promotion going on -- buy a Pro600 and get an extra bowl for free (mailed to you). I don't know if they'll send it to Canada, but I'll give it a shot.

• 1 month later...

My Kitchen Aid stand mixer was given to me by my mother when I turned 21. There's some feministing for you, huh? Anyway, it's been a reliable old thing. A little small, a little underpowered, but hey, 20 years! I don't figure it owes me much. :smile:

Anyroad, now I am secretly dancing on it's grave. I couldn't see to replacing a working mixer just because I wanted mooooore POW-wer but hey, the thing is dead. Poor sad little dead mixer. He he.

So spam me, please! For a new stand mixer. A good one. Oh I am so excited.

I do a lot of breads and pizza crusts.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

The one I use in my home kitchen is probably a bit more than you are seeking in terms of size, weight, power, and cost,. Like you, I do a lot of breads and pizzas and have found nothing that works as well as a fork mixer. Mine is the Santos 18N. The cost has gone way up since I bought mine for $860 including shipping (weak dollar). THe KitchenAid C-hook and spiral attachments just don't compare to a fork. I use my KA for beating batters, egg whites, etc., but never again for breads. FWIW.

Bill/SFNM

Edited by Bill/SFNM (log)

My husband is ringing them today, he wanted to see if he could get parts. I'll let him know it's possible they could be talked into replacing it. He'd be a happy guy.

On the other hand, I am really liking the open design of the Bosch, how are people liking it?

I found the old "Stand Mixer" thread, but it's two years on since the last post, so a little new input is nice. : )

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Cuisinart has a new mixer out that has all the attachments for grinding meat, making pasta, etc., plus apparently it becomes a blender and a food processor. I have always thought that kind of design made a lot of sense.

I talked to a chef friend this weekend about it, and she said she'd tried it out. She didn't like it because she was just making a single batch (of ?; she didn't specify) and the mixer just seemed to need larger quantities. She said she had to repeatedly remove the bowl and "do the mixer's work for it."

It sounds, though, that you may need the increased ... bowl size? power? Not sure. But you may want to check it out. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of it.

I have the AEG or Electrolux Magic Mill . I got it specifically for bread dough but it does other things also.

It has a much lower profile than the KA, the top is open. The bowl is huge and dough does not have a hook on which it can crawl up - my big complaint with the KA.

It will mix the stiffest dough when other mixers stall. It has a bit of a learning curve but of all the people I know who have bought them, only one has not been 100% satisfied.

(I burnt out the motors on two (2) KAs mixing the Struan dough from Peter Reinhart's Crust and Crumb. My old Hobart KA could handle it but not the newer ones in the late 90s.

Cooks Illustrated rated it poorly but I don't think they really used it as it is meant to be used.

It has a TIMER - which I love. I can set it to knead and leave it alone while it works the dough and I can do something else without having to watch it.

I have had it for several years and have never had a problem with it. It has a secondary bowl with twin whisks that do a great job on meringues.

I recommend this vendor as they include extras that other vendors charge for and they ship for FREE!

I have purchased many appliances from them.

I have no other association with them, except for spending a lot of money....

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I agree totally with andiesenji. I bought my Magic Mill from the folks she's recommending and have no regrets. It's super great for bread, doesn't walk across the counter like the KA. I also have the meat grinder and use it a ton for sausage. The blender is also a great attachment.

I've had my KA for about 15yrs. Its only 325W and I thought about replacing it and moving up to a bigger/badder model. However after reading( I think it was on EG actually) that the newer KA's arent as reliable as the older KA's I decided to keep it.

When I moved to Ontario, I shipped it from California and the sliding part broke. I found a service center in London and it was fixed up good as new( for 15 bucks!!)

I don't think I've ever had my KA walk across the counter, either of them. I have the bigger 600 Pro at home which I use for bread doughs and all kinds of things.

The KA artisan which I moved to the cottage doesn't handle some bread doughs very well, but for everything is fine.

When I was in NY recently for the Gourmet Institute weekend, Cuisinart was one of the sponsors, and the new mixer was everywhere, including all the chef demos. I got too see several of them upfront and in action, and I wasn't all that impressed with them. I don't think most of the chefs were terribly impressed either, judging by the faces they were making. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I don't think I've ever had my KA walk across the counter, either of them.  I have the bigger 600 Pro at home which I use for bread doughs and all kinds of things.

The KA artisan which I moved to the cottage doesn't handle some bread doughs very well, but for everything is fine.

When I was in NY recently for the Gourmet Institute weekend, Cuisinart was one of the sponsors, and the new mixer was everywhere, including all the chef demos.  I got too see several of them upfront and in action, and I wasn't all that impressed with them.  I don't think most of the chefs were terribly impressed either, judging by the faces they were making. :biggrin:

I've heard similar complaints from people who purchased the new Kenwood/DeLonghi mixers. One of my friends in the UK has her mom's Kenwood and still uses it several times a week to mix dog food - that is, a grain based food she mixes and bakes in sheet pans, then breaks up to make her own kibble.

The only things that have been replaced on it are bushings, one bearing and the cord.

And she did wear out a bowl - it developed a thin spot, which threatened to become a hole.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't think I've ever had my KA walk across the counter, either of them.  I have the bigger 600 Pro at home which I use for bread doughs and all kinds of things.

When I was in NY recently for the Gourmet Institute weekend, Cuisinart was one of the sponsors, and the new mixer was everywhere, including all the chef demos.  I got too see several of them upfront and in action, and I wasn't all that impressed with them.  I don't think most of the chefs were terribly impressed either, judging by the faces they were making. :biggrin:

Thats the one thing I hate about mine. It does travel........ In our new kitchen, I had an appliance lift installed. I'm hoping the KD will find a way to anchor it there or else I wont be able to use it since it tends to move when I make bread.

I would use a strap with a rachet buckle (like a cargo strap) plus little holes deep enough to catch the feet, drilled into the platform will help a lot.

I have the AEG or Electrolux Magic Mill .  I got it specifically for bread dough but it does other things also. ...

I wish that they would offer the Electrolux in the UK! (Various bits of mainland europe, yes, but not the UK. Not yet anyway.)

It seems to be the ideal domestic dough mixer, while being usefully able to do other non-dough stuff. But tipping it on its side for the mincer is a bit weird. :cool:

In the UK KA has been the expensive brand, with designer colours and celebrity placement.

Kenwood (deLonghi) mixers can be bought new rather cheaper than KA, and are much more common.

I believe the reverse situation prevails in the USA.

The Kenwoods are fine (especially the larger capacity "Major" models), though the very bottom of the range models might not have the toughness of the offerings from 20 years ago...

... but for mostly dough work, if I could get one, I'd love to have an Electrolux.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

i would avoid the cuisinart. they are not known for stand mixers, so i certainly wouldn't buy a first generation stand mixer from them.

i agree with some of the posters that the kitchen aid, while a work horse, isn't really meant for breads. i usually have to start the mixing on the mixer and finish it by hand as the dough hook is very inefficient. cakes, cookies, etc. kitchen aid all the way...

i think the other options out there are (what andiesenji mentioned) better for bread doughs.

Well, as it happens, I took my kid to the outlets today to get a dress for a black tie Bat Mitzvah she is going to this weekend.

And since I was there, I nipped into Williams Sonoma just for fun.

And they had brand new KA Pro Line 600s on the floor marked down to $249.00. The only colour was "Williams Sonoma Green" but I can live with that, for 249 bucks. :biggrin:

I think I did ok, don't you?

And since I was there, I nipped into Williams Sonoma just for fun.

And they had brand new KA Pro Line 600s on the floor marked down to $249.00. The only colour was "Williams Sonoma Green" but I can live with that, for 249 bucks.  :biggrin:

I think I did ok, don't you?

I've had my KA 5 since 1976 and it has been repaired twice. One of those times was me not being smarter than the tool. Yeah white is out of style but you know....

I bought my daughter the 6 qt for Xmas last year and that is what I want to tell about.

I can't attest to the unit Pax, I haven't used it and my daughter loves it but doesn't make bread [nor do I] but you have the price down right. If you wish to get it in what ever color and possibly less cost, go to the Kitchen Aid web site and find their refurbished and close out section. Your kind of price and if you keep checking, most any color. Of course, green is my favorite color.

I don't know but I'll bet that the other brands may have a similar site.

A last thought, I often see baby real Hobarts used in restaurant supply stores.

Eat Well

Robert

Seattle

• 2 weeks later...
Great, now I hate my Cuisinart because of you guys! :P

I missed this reply till now!

So tell us what you really think of your Cuisinart! What's good about it? What's bad? If you've ever had a KitchenAid, which do you prefer and why?

I came back to this topic because Fine Cooking just did a review on the Cuisinart stand mixer. In terms of performance, they seemed to like it.