• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

If anyone is looking for a Hobart 10 quart mixer, there is one now on ebay

Vintage Hobart 10-quart mixer.

I had one of these for 30 years, couldn't kiil it with all I threw at it. I sold it a couple of years ago and it is still going strong.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, I just blew the motor on my KA Artisan, 350 watts iirc. Less than one month old. Can't handle bread dough. I went to the washroom and a couple of minutes later, I smell burnt coils.

No WAY that would have happened on my old one that I let the ex take.

At least sears says they'll replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to purchase a new kitchenaid mixer. Probably a Pro 600 mixer. Does anyone have one and have any opinions on it- good or bad, to share? ;) I'm also looking at getting an extra bowl- worth it or not? The normal bowls are about $50-60 I think, but I found some Copper bowls too! Are those really worth the almost $200 pricetag? :blink: Thanks! I've never had a stand mixer before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd check out the discussion boards on kitchenaid.com. A lot of experienced people there who can advise you. Also tips on where to get them for cheap.

I wouldn't bother with the copper bowls unless you can find a great deal on them. For silly reasons they'll void the warranty, and I suspect you can get equally good results with a bit of acid (cream of tartar, etc.) and the brute force of the machine.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

Well, our 6 quart KA bit the dust in the last few weeks. It had always been a pita: beaters not reaching the bottom of the bowl; grease working through the gears of the meat grinder into the meat itself; bowl popping out of the lock; dough hook not kneading -- on and on. Very frustrating experiences that increased over time.

Turns out that the motor casing had cracked, several gears broke, and who knows what else -- $200 to fix a flawed machine. Since we do a lot of heavy work (kneading pasta dough, grinding meat, etc.), we're going to move up in power.

So here's the question: DeLonghi DSM-7 or Electrolux Magic Mill DLX? (Don't say Hobart N-50, which I cannot find for less than $1200.) Anyone able to compare the two in terms of performance? service? power? accessories?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I can't compare them, but I've had a couple of Kenwoods in the kitchen for years and I love them. They handle a full bowl of stiff cookie batter, a yeast dough and lots and lots of whipped cream. If I had to buy a new machine now, I'd probably go with the DeLonghi DSM-7. I know there was a merge or a buyout or something with Kenwood - anybody have one?

Well, our 6 quart KA bit the dust in the last few weeks. It had always been a pita: beaters not reaching the bottom of the bowl; grease working through the gears of the meat grinder into the meat itself; bowl popping out of the lock; dough hook not kneading -- on and on. Very frustrating experiences that increased over time.

Turns out that the motor casing had cracked, several gears broke, and who knows what else -- $200 to fix a flawed machine. Since we do a lot of heavy work (kneading pasta dough, grinding meat, etc.), we're going to move up in power.

So here's the question: DeLonghi DSM-7 or Electrolux Magic Mill DLX? (Don't say Hobart N-50, which I cannot find for less than $1200.) Anyone able to compare the two in terms of performance? service? power? accessories?

Thanks in advance.

Earler in this thread, andiesenji commented on the Magic Mill. It was purchased from this place , which has a great reputation. I haven't used either appliance, but I would go with the Magic Mill based on everything I've read about it. The Kenwood is also supposed to be an excellent appliance, but if it is now owned by DeLonghi, I would not have confidence in its customer service. This is based on my experience owning three DeLonghi small appliances (toaster, coffee maker, countertop convection oven)

Ilene

I have been using the Electrolux AEG, same as the Magic Mill DLX 2000 or "Assistant" as it has been sold here under several names. The same machine has been in production and had extensive use, particularly in the Scandinavian countries for many years.

I first heard about it in the late 1970s from some friends visiting from Sweden. (Basenji breeders.)

At the time I was swearing at a Hobart KA that was straining through a batch of cookie dough.

It does work differently than the mixers most people have been using and it does have a bit of a learning curve. However, I have yet to have any problems with it and I particularly love the timer.

Being able to set the timer and move along to another task is a great boon for me, knowing it will finish kneading at the proper time.

In my opinion, it works dough almost the same as hand kneading.

Several people I know have upgraded to this machine and I don't know of any who are unhappy with it. One uses it for working herbs and spices into small batches of goat and ewe cheese as the roller/scraper combo does what she used to do by hand. In fact, she has bought at least one additional machine and was talking about buying another when we last spoke. (She retired a KA because she noticed something from the motor was dripping into one batch of cheese, possibly oil or grease.)

I can't say enough about Pleasant Hill Grain. I have purchase several appliances, including a grain mill, dehydrators, knife sharpeners, a bread machine and canning supplies for myself and gifts for others. I have never found better customer service anywhere.

I personally have not used the meat grinder as I have a large dedicated food grinder but if I had to reduce my appliance collection due to space constraints, I wouldn't hesitate to get the necessary attachments.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

So after a few years of heavy use, our KA 6 qt reconditioned stand mixer just imploded; it'll cost about $200 to fix. I think we're going to strip it for parts and get a new machine.

I've been looking around at the options and they're not looking too good. Because our checking account can't abide certain consumer desires, we have to say no to the Hobart N-50 and it's $1800 price tag. Other options like the DeLonghi make us wary, partly because we cannot check them out in person but also because we have accessories for the KA that I use regularly (pasta roller and meat grinder) and that would cost a pretty penny to replace.

For a while, we were thinking more and more about just grabbing a Hobart-era KA from eBay, which may still happen. But after some conversations with two folks here who work in the restaurant supply business and reading up a bit, we're growing intrigued by this KitchenAid Commercial 5 Series (model KM25G0X). It apparently has a better motor design, stands up to tougher kitchen tasks, uses the new dough hook, and is getting rave reviews. It lists for $545; I can get it for about $380 locally (important for us if possible).

Has anyone got experience with this precise model? I think it's different than the more common KV25G0X found all over the place, including Amazon; I believe that KV model is no longer available (can't find it on the KA website).

Thanks in advance.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

My wife the baker went over and checked it out, and we made the decision today to buy it. $400 including taxes. It's built like a tank and seems very well designed and machined. Yeah, I know, proof in the pudding, or dough: more updates later.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Chris, please do post as how the baker likes the new mixer. I still have my almost-30 year old Hobart KA, and the thing is going strong. A few years ago, my friends started "updating" and got newer KA's, and they have many regrets about getting rid of their trusty Hobarts, but the one you just got looks like a cut above most of the KA's out there.

I'll be most curious as to how your wife likes the dough hook -- it looks as tho it's a different shape than the old hooks.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Chris, please do post as how the baker likes the new mixer.  I still have my almost-30 year old Hobart KA, and the thing is going strong.  A few years ago, my friends started "updating" and got newer KA's, and they have many regrets about getting rid of their trusty Hobarts, but the one you just got looks like a cut above most of the KA's out there.

From all accounts, the "commercial" model is very different from the ones marketed to consumers as "professional." For example, we got a $20 rebate slip from the dealer, but this particular model wasn't listed on the form; however, all the professional series machines were.

I'll be most curious as to how your wife likes the dough hook -- it looks as tho it's a different shape than the old hooks.

It is one of the very appealing features, but, again, we'll see.

Does the new dough hook work with the older KAs?

I don't know. Our old one was a 6 quart machine, so the bowl and attachments don't work. (We foolishly gave away two 5 quart beauties years ago when we got the 6 quart... sigh....)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I've had a couple of Kitchen Aid's, two to be exact.

I sold the first one to my sister so I could get the 6QT model. I love it. I hd the screw come loose tht works the handle that makes the bowl go up and down. But I screwed it back in and it hasn't come out since.

I even had it drop off of the counter onto a tile floor twice, and it still works!

I wouldn't recommend Viking, maybe there small appliances are better than their ranges,bt the problems I've had with their ranges, I wouldn't recommend them.

-z

I am new here and have a question I am sure you can help me with.

I love to bake, hence my name... and have never broken down and bought a stand mixer. I find I'm baking less as my arthritis has gotten bad in my hands, and O make hubby help me mix things. No more of that! My birthday is this month and I am getting a KA! :laugh:

I am looking to spend under $300. Here is what I most like to make:

monster cookies, think lots of oatmeal and peanut butter

various oatmeal cookie recipes

cakes

icing

mixing meatloaf

bread and rolls (in breadmaker, but would likely use the KA for this as well)

Can this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LSZ01...=UTF8&s=kitchen KA stand up to monster cookies, for example, and do everything else I would do? This is a good deal and seems to be a good size bowl. I don't want to buy something that won't work, and I realize my horribly huge monster cookie recipe would have to be halved or fourthed and that is okay, the main thing is that *I* can bake again on my own. I can always do a second small batch if need be.

I like to make double batches of cookies and freeze dough balls, so would that mixer accomodate double batches (or normal sized recipes, not double of my huge monster cookie recipe :laugh: ).

If there is another KA that would meet my needs, please advise. Thanks so much, I look forward to getting to know people here and learning a lot!

Welcome, Love2Bake!

The short answer is yes, it certainly should stand up to that use. Honestly, those monster cookies aren't too terribly hard on a machine; grinding and paddling meat for sausage, kneading thick bread and pasta doughs: those sorts of things are most challenging for stand mixers.

Why not buy it and give us a report?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Hoping if I bump this up my question won't get lost in this huge thread...

It should work just fine - A friend of mine bought that same one a few weeks ago and he has been making *lots* of bread with it.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Thank you for the replies, the reason I asked is my mother in law has one (she doesn't know what model) and says she has to do monster cookies by hand. Now that could be because of the size of her recipe, but I even asked about cutting it down ahd she just said it didn't work. So that is why I wondered, because if it can't do those I was worried it couldn't handle other things I might want to do.

I went ahead and ordered it. Amazon already said it shipped, too! YAY!

Be sure to go to kitchenaid.com and find the outlet store. The prices on factory refurb units are phenomenal (you can get their biggest, baddest mixer for under $250). There don't seem to be any special quality control issues with the refurbs, but they don't guarantee them to be cosmetically perfect.

I've been considering getting one of these myself.

Notes from the underbelly

Quick update on the KA commercial mixer I discuss above. I'm home with a sick kid so I'm making ragu bolognese with tagliatelle, giving me a great opportunity to put the KA to the test.

It did fantastically well. I ground over two pounds of meat and two cans of tomatoes in a flash, and -- more impressively -- the mixer kneaded 1 1/2 pounds of pasta dough with tremendous ease and power: 6 minutes of kneading with the new dough hook and that dough was in better shape than 15 with any KA I've ever had before. It's clearly built with more careful engineering than the other models; while the motor is clearly working hard, especially when the hook meets the thickest part of the dough, it never slips or grinds or pops out the bowl, all of which were problems with older machines, even out of the box.

In short, I'm thrilled.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Well, the KA I references above arrived. I ordered the Deluze 6qt from Amazon on Tuesday and it came today. If I get a second, I'll whip up some of those monster cookies. :biggrin: I am not sure though, with a event to attend tonight, a 5 week old baby, a 3.5yo and a hubby out of town for 4 days, but I will try. :raz:

I will post once I've tried it out.

Ordered this mixer on Tues, it came Thurs. I made a 1/4 batch of monster cookies ( 1/2 of my huge recipe would fit but I wasn't sure). Boy was that fun. Now I need to find more cool recipes and things to do with this mixer. With my arthritis I should have bought this a long, long time ago. Woohoo!

Ordered this mixer on Tues, it came Thurs. I made a 1/4 batch of monster cookies ( 1/2 of my huge recipe would fit but I wasn't sure). Boy was that fun. Now I need to find more cool recipes and things to do with this mixer. With my arthritis I should have bought this a long, long time ago. Woohoo!

Hey I'm glad you like it.

We use ours primarily for bread & pasta dough. Oh - the meat grinder attachment is cool as well.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--