• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

Since Bosch has been mentioned, I can give my experience.

Up to last year I had a Delonghi. Now I have a Bosch MUM 6612.

Maybe it is true that now I am baking less than before but I was using my Delonghi every day...Now the Bosch is rarely at use. It's so bulky and difficult to clean that often I prefer doing by hand rather than washing that bowl. I use the mixer with the grating tools more often (great for making nuts flours)

The Bosch mixer works very well on stiff bread dough, so if you like to bake bread and you have the extra space and money to buy the Delonghi you are all set :biggrin:

My pro 600 sucks and I've had it replaced once because it gave up the ghost. I baby it. I would never make bread in it. Good luck with your purchase. Yes overbuy is better. Maybe currently manufactured 600's are in better shape than mine although it's only a few years old.

I just bought one of the new 600 Pro KAs. Hadn't intended to but there was one in copper and I collect copper appliances. Couldn't resist.

It will arrive next week and I will give it a try and report on my experiences. There is a pic of it on the 2 mixers or 2 bowls thread.

I ordered it from this vendor.

I liked the Cinnamon color also.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My new mixer arrived today. Wow, what quick shipping. I ordered it on 10/30, in the evening so it was less than a week from order to delivery, from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Now I have to decide what to prepare in it for its "maiden voyage."

Note: One of the reasons I decided to take a chance on this new version of KA was the new specs:

Metal gears....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On one of the appliance review sites it was rated "not suitable for bread dough" although it did get excellent ratings for design (appearance), ease of use - whatever that means.

It did a good job on cake batter and egg whites.

I posted on the "Glass bowls" topic that the bowl on this mixer is almost identical to the ones on my 50-year-old Kitchenaids - I posted photos of two, and with a bowl.

One person who purchased it from Overstock said the shipping varied day to day. The box did not have the name "Attrezzi" anywhere on it. (It is not even shown on the Attrezzi web site).

It was introduced with a lot of fanfare in a Sur La Table catalog last year but was dropped after a few months.

I just checked at Amazon and could find only one review - they liked it - on a white one with the Dolce (multicolor) bowl.

I did come across this one - copper with tortise bowl.

I am tempted to add it to my copper collection but think I will pass this time.

I just noted that at BizRate some are identified as Jenn-Air and some as Maytag. Curious.

On one of the appliance review sites it was rated "not suitable for bread dough" although it did get excellent ratings for design (appearance), ease of use - whatever that means.

It did a good job on cake batter and egg whites.

I posted on the "Glass bowls" topic that the bowl on this mixer is almost identical to the ones on my 50-year-old Kitchenaids - I posted photos of two, and with a bowl. 

One person who purchased it from Overstock said the shipping varied day to day.  The box did not have the name "Attrezzi" anywhere on it. (It is not even shown on the Attrezzi web site).

It was introduced with a lot of fanfare in a Sur La Table catalog last year but was dropped after a few months.

I just checked at Amazon and could find only one review - they liked it - on a white one with the Dolce (multicolor) bowl.

I did come across this one - copper with  tortise bowl.

I am tempted to add it to my copper collection but think I will pass this time.

I just noted that at BizRate some are identified as Jenn-Air and some as Maytag.  Curious.

Huh. :huh:

Well, now I am more confused than ever. I'd like one for occasional bread making, making marshmallows, whipped cream. Nothing industrial. They are DARN cute, and a good price. Why do you think that is?

I mean, if they retailed for $350ish and we can get them for...........$110 ? Heck, they are practically disposable.

Not to mention, I do glass work and I LOVE the artglass ones :wub:

Hmm.

K

Ah Ha!

I found some reviews at epinions.com

When I first saw them, I considered them overpriced. But at the Overstock price, why not.

As long as they work for normal applications, you should be just fine.

"slack" doughs, will probably be okay. hold back some of the flour and let the machine knead the dough while it is still very soft, then turn it out and do a short finish knead to incorporate the remainder of the flour. That is what I did when my old KA was struggling and before I bought my Electrolux/AEG.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something else I am a bit concerned about: the "scraping the bottom of the bowl" issue. When I borrowed my friend's KA, the paddle didn't seem to reach the bottom of the bowl, so we had to stop it frequently and scrape.

Am I being too concerned about the scraping issue? Are all stand mixers like that? It seems to me that if something's supposed to allow you to do a hands-free job, you shouldn't have to stop the appliance and scrape down the bowl.

Opinions, please?

The KitchenAids come with an adjustable screw, at least the Artisan one does, and you can raise or lower the head in order to position the paddle correctly.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

One of these sold on eBay this week for $150!! Incredible. Well, it didn't have attachments. I love my K5-A and would probably never buy a new KA. It's worth seeking out the vintage KitchenAids.

I've seen several posts mentioning Hobart Kitchen Aids, pre 1986. The Hobart N50 is the current professional model still manufactured by Hobart and is the king of stand mixers. It is the design that KitchenAids and most other stand mixers are based on. At $1800 street price, it is expensive, but I have seen used models on eBay in the $400 range. It would last a home cook for two lifetimes.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My pro 600 sucks and I've had it replaced once because it gave up the ghost. I baby it. I would never make bread in it. Good luck with your purchase. Yes overbuy is better. Maybe currently manufactured 600's are in better shape than mine although it's only a few years old.

I'm not liking my new pro 600 too much. Maybe I'm just not used to it... but it makes a weird whining noise when mixing that my 325 W doesn't. Plus, I'm now sending it back for the second time because a piece of metal broke off and fell out of the bottom when I adjusted the bowl height. KA didn't want to send me a new one since it technically still works, but, really, it's a $400 mixer... I'd rather have one without a metal chunk missing from the interior. If I don't warm up to the next one, I think it's going back!

I'm starting to wonder if there's such an animal as a reliable, heavy duty stand mixer that isn't a piece of junk! I have read numerous reviews on KA, DeLonghi, Viking (including the posts here) and there's always someone somewhere saying it doesn't work properly, doesn't do the job, etc. etc.

Is this what we can expect from appliances in this day and age? Whatever happened to reliability, and trust in a brand name? Am I THAT naive?

On a side note, DH is afraid anything with a low wattage output is going to be too "wimpy." He thought that about friend's borrowed KA, and THAT was one of the original Hobart machines! He's an electrician, and he uses an electric drill to mix paint with an attachment, and feels that even that's too wimpy. I think I saw Red Green do the same thing once with mashed potatoes. :laugh:

Seriously, though--should I just get an ass-kicker of a hand mixer and forget this, or what? I don't expect to pay $400 for something like a KA 600 and have parts of it falling off! :unsure:

Anyone out there have the Artians, and like to comment?

:biggrin:

I have an Artisian - er, I think. It's a gorgeous emerald green, and it cost me about $179 on sale about 3 years ago. And I love it. It is my first stand mixer, so I've nothing to compare it to. I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

I bake bread quite often, and I used to always knead by hand. The KA handles my doughs fine (and I make bagels, too); but with stiffer doughs I often break the dough into batches so the mixer doesn't walk all over the counter. It's terrific for egg whites, cream, etc.

I'm happy with my artisianally colored, 4.5 qt, KA...

Cacao

I have a Bosch Universal and have been really happy with it. It doesn't struggle with anything, not even large batches of heavy bread dough and still does a good job of egg whites. I love that it doesn't have an overhead arm so it's easy to add things. However, it's harder to stir or fold ingredients in by hand because of the center post so I pour the batter into standard bowl if this needs doing. I think that's really the only drawback. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Bosch Concept 7 because of it's look and it's lower profile. I bought it from Healthy Kitchens and they will sell your used equipment for you and apply the credit to any new product you purchase.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I keep forgetting to post this for those who have problems with "walking" mixers.

Get some "museum wax" anyone who lives in earthquake country is familiar with this stuff.

knead a marble-sized ball until soft, mold it around the mixer's feet and stick it down. It will hold to just about anything, including glazed tile, Corian, wood and marble. The only surface I have found it less tacky, was stainless steel.

quakehold products

I have a KA 600 pro series mixer. It works fine (though it is very loud). When I make 4 (1 lb) loaves of whole wheat bread, I have to break it into two batches or it will stall the motor and force it to shut off. Otherwise it works well. If you look in the manual, you will see that they have limits about how many cups of flour to mix at any given time. The limit for whole wheat flour is about half that for white. I haven't had any trouble with it walking.

Tim

“Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.”

Anthony Bourdain

• 4 weeks later...

Jcpenny is having a sale 50% off , I have seen this stand mixer on the paper , then I went to check it out on the web site.Now the price is very very good , for a 5 qt 700 watt motor, but is thie type any good?

I am courious just because there is a sostencial difference between this and a KA.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?...&ItemId=1010d86

Vanessa

Don't buy it. Seriously, save up and spring for the KitchenAid. You will have it forever, it's way better in quality, and you will use it more often because it works so well. When it doubt, shell out for the better quality, I say. And I am poor, so I know of what I speak.

"A culture's appetite always springs from its poor" - John Thorne

Kitchen Aids don't last forever. Believe me. I know people who have blown through three of them. For home use...without any heavy breads/doughs....they're OK. But if you plan on using it daily, then buy something better.

That being said, I do have a KA. But it was given to me as an Xmas present 4 years ago. It has seen little use until recently. I am making a lot of bread, and I am scared.

Don't know about the model you are referring to. Never heard of it. Mind you, China is not known for its baking.

Mind you, China is not known for its baking.

not necessarily true :hmmm: , but then again a thousand+ year cooking (and baking) history doesn't necessarily include the use of electric mixers :wink:

from what i understand, newer model kitchen aids are made with plastic parts in the motor and that is why they break down. if you are lucky enough to have an older model kitchen aid that was made when hobart was making the mixers, you'll have a machine that will last forever. however, i have two kitchen aid stand mixers and have been pleased with both (the older one really is better than my newer one and they are only about 6 years apart in age but slightly different models).

vanessa, i wouldn't get it. you definitely get what you pay for in mixers. also, don't get a viking. they stink.

I will second the vote for buying a KitchenAid, although I'll also agree that nothing made today seems to last forever. Mine is a Pro Series and *claims* all-steel transmission & gears (not sure if that means there is no plastic in the motor, though) and is rated for commercial use. My complaint/worry is that, since I use it every day, sometimes several times a day, the motor is going to wear out. There are times when I'm mixing something especially heavy or stiff that it sounds a little vexed with me. :P

I really would like to upgrade to the model a friend of mine has... it has more wattage (although even that's only 575... I've never seen a KA with 700 watts! I can see why you'd be tempted!) The really weird thing is, this newer one retails for over $100 LESS than my Pro 5 series... I'll never figure all that stuff out. And it's a moot point, since my husband would probably put his foot down about spending $469 on a new mixer when mine is still relatively new, and cost more than that to begin with. :)

Hope you find something you like, though!