• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stand Mixers 2002 – 2011

seawakim

On TV (Cook's), they recommended the $70 KitchenAid Artisan hand mixer for the DC power it provides, if you don't need a stand mixer. But they said most of the others are suitable for most jobs. I bought something less for about $25 recently, to replace a 3 speed 30 year+ job that was just plain worn out. It's AC, but a few more hp than the basic. Haven't run it through any drills yet. I'm drawing a blank on the brand...but it has old flat blades and a whisk, a drink mixer, and double dough hooks. I'm hoping for miracles in terms of performance. My kitchen is too small for a stand mixer. Now if I had room for one of those under cabinet swing up mixer shelves I'd be far more tempted. I didn't think about the meat grinder, pasta maker, mill accessories, but I haven't been tempted to explore those areas in my (almost) half century.

...You can also buy attachments for it! Like the meat grinder, the pasta maker, the juicer...... :rolleyes:

That's the part I like since I find my manual pasta maker a bit, no, A LOT difficult do handle alone and rather cumbersome.

I have the pasta roller for my KA stand mixer and I can tell you that it is much better than when I used the manual maker. Essentially, you get an extra hand for feeding and taking up the outfeed.

I don't knead my bread doughs in a stand mixer. For stiff doughs I find it more satisfying to knead manually. Very wet or soft doughs are probably best done in a food processor.

I don't use mine a huge amount but it is 12 years old and has served me well throughout so I'm sure I have gotten my money's worth (actually 'their' money since it was a wedding gift).

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I bought mine mainly because it was a good deal. It is a 5-quart KitchenAid and it came with the meat grinder/pasta attachments. I don't bake a lot, but when I do I use the mixer and it is easy. I like using it for bread, and I love using it to grind meat. I haven't bought commercially ground meat since I got the mixer. I consider it a purchase that I did not need, but I knew it would last a very long time and that I would enjoy having it.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I love my KitchenAid and use it probably three or four times a week on a good week... I use it for baking, mashed potatoes, whipped cream, dips, etc.

I also just like to look at it! :smile: It really is a piece of art, in my opinion! (Of course I have the red one, so I'm biased!)

My future in-laws bought it for me and they bought the future sister-in-law one also (the lesser model of the two! :wink: ) and she walked in to my apartment one day and said, "oh, I see you got a dust catcher for Chrismas too!" Pick jaw up off floor. I wanted to lecture her, "do you know how many people would kill for a KitchenAid!" But, I was nice and told her all the things I use it for and just left it at that! This is also the person that throws away pots and pans if they get too dirty and she doesn't feel like cleaning them, so I would have just wasted my breath! Anyway, sorry for the tangent, but the bottom line for me is that it has definitely been a fun addition to my kitchen!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

just watch what you buy, if you're going to be using it a bit more than usual, get the bigger one, even if it's not on sale. and buy another bowl for it so when you really get into it, you can really get into it.

I wouldn't give you my kitchenaid for anything, or my stick mixer either for that matter. those are the two most valuable 'toys' in my kitchen. that's just mho.

just watch what you buy, if you're going to be using it a bit more than usual, get the bigger one, even if it's not on sale. and buy another bowl for it so when you really get into it, you can really get into it.

I wouldn't give you my kitchenaid for anything, or my stick mixer either for that matter. those are the two most valuable 'toys' in my kitchen. that's just mho.

I have two bowls for mine, of the same size, and I'm really glad. If I'd been picking a KA I might have gone for the next size up, but that would have been a major counter hog - and it wouldn't have fit in the cabinet where the present one lives when not in use.

I want to second what others have said upthread about the pasta attachment. As it happens, I have a motor for my Atlas "hand-crank" machine, and I wouldn't be without it. If that motor dies, I'll either replace it or get the KA pasta attachment...anything to avoid trying to crank and feed and catch the pasta with only two hands.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've had a stand mixer for about 12 years, first the KA 4.5 qt and for the last year or so the 6 qt. I also , at least used to, bake a lot. Given the expense of the mixer, I honestly say that unless you are into baking/desserts/sweets sort of cooking, you can probably do without it. I'd also say that my smaller mixer was perfectly adequate (with 2 bowls) for every baking task I came up with except kneading large quantities of bread dough. So I wouldn't automatically go for the larger size.

My mother and I also use hers for potato mashing, tomato juicing, sausage stuffing, meat grinding.

They are not indispensable, but they are darned capable workhorses.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My mother and I also use hers for potato mashing...

You're the second one to mention potato mashing... really? Is this done in the work bowl or are you talking about the food mill attachment?

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

My mother and I also use hers for potato mashing...

You're the second one to mention potato mashing... really? Is this done in the work bowl or are you talking about the food mill attachment?

Then I'll be the third. :biggrin:

I boil up potatoes on the stove with some salt and garlic, then drain and put in the work bowl with some butter and milk and seasonings, etc. and let the machine mash away.

I'll have to "fourth" the mashed potatoes. Much easier and lets me do something else while they are going.

I also do whipped cream, egg whites, all my baking.

Oh yeah and I like to make flavored buters with it. Put the flat blade on and mash the butter with roasted garlic, herbs, etc. Then I can scoop it out onto a cookie sheet with a small ice cream scoop and freeze them so I have delicious little balls of butter for all my butter needs. Lovely honey butter too. Everything is better with butter.

Ellen

And what's the first thing I noticed in your photos? The Campari and soda... and it's only 8 AM! What a way to start the morning. :laugh:

edit to add: That's my drink too btw :wink:

Edited by gourmande (log)

Whipping cream, meringue, scone dough, pastry, sabayon...  all stuff that would be impractical to do by hand due to time constraints, RSI, or lack of gullible commis chefs.  I'd never, ever be without my mixer.

Okay, Allan - I'm demanding right now that you tell me how to use a stand mixer to whip a sabayon over a double-boiler. They've put it on our catering menu at work and my arm is getting very, very tired. Last week I had to make sabayon for a luncheon with 44 attendees. I have a nice steam kettle to act as a giant bain marie - but I can't picture how to use the stand mixer to whip it.

Waiting with baited breath and crossed fingers (ow, that hurts)...

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Just to update you... :smile:

gallery_7849_1835_18802.jpg

Unfortunately, it's too tall to fit under my cupboard, so it's squeezed in that tiny space, which will be its home for the time being.

And this is the first batch of bread kneaded by my new kitchen helper

gallery_7849_1835_9604.jpg

Gourmande, congratulations on your new addition. That bread looks great. BTW, my "Bessie" doesn't fit under the counter, either. She's currently sitting on a shelf along with other smaller appliances.

I'll have to "fourth" the mashed potatoes.  Much easier and lets me do something else while they are going. 

Make that fifth. Before my husband took over potato duty, I used the paddle to break them down (after boiling them), then and added butter, milk and salt and pepper, using the whip attachment to make them fluffy. He seems to enjoy doing it by hand, so I don't complain. One less bowl to clean!

Anyway, while we're talking KA, does anybody have the ice cream maker attachment? I have my trusty Donvier, but I have to say I was intrigued.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I know I miss mine. I gave my KA to my parents because my roommate at the time had one. Since I've moved, it has been a missing part of the equation! However, I know it'll be on my wedding registry, and it may even give me a chance to find the one with the airbrushed flames like Alton Brown's! :biggrin:

"What garlic is to food, insanity is to art." ~ Augustus Saint-Gaudens

The couple that eGullets together, stays together!

I know I miss mine.  I gave my KA to my parents because my roommate at the time had one.  Since I've moved, it has been a missing part of the equation!  However, I know it'll be on my wedding registry, and it may even give me a chance to find the one with the airbrushed flames like Alton Brown's!  :biggrin:

I think the flames on Alton's mixer are just stickers, like these by Troy Lee:

http://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/catalog/...hp?cPath=34_134

You should be able to find some at your local motorcycle or bicycle shop, or you can order them from the above link.

Just to update you...  :smile:

gallery_7849_1835_18802.jpg

Unfortunately, it's too tall to fit under my cupboard, so it's squeezed in that tiny space, which will be its home for the time being.

And this is the first batch of bread kneaded by my new kitchen helper

gallery_7849_1835_9604.jpg

Nice, nice toy Gourmande. You won't regret your purchase!

Ok... so about four respondents here claimed the Stand mixer makes "GREAT" mashed potatoes. Well, I just tried and what I got was glue! :angry:

I used all the usual ingredients (Yukon Golds, butter, warm milk and seasonings), the only two variables were:

1 - using the mixer instead of the food mill.

2 - a new batch of potatoes; I usually get regular Yukon Golds from the supermarket, today I used organic Yukon Golds purchased at Field Gate Organics.

So what went wrong? :unsure:

I believe that you need to use waxy potatos if you are going to whip them. Yukons would have too much starch which burst out when you whip them and form a gluey potato. Waxy potatos can stand up to far more abuse and produce a silky mash.

PS: I am a guy.

Ok... so about four respondents here claimed the Stand mixer makes "GREAT" mashed potatoes.  Well, I just tried and what I got was glue!  :angry:

I used all the usual ingredients (Yukon Golds, butter, warm milk and seasonings), the only two variables were:

1 - using the mixer instead of the food mill. 

2 - a new batch of potatoes; I usually get regular Yukon Golds from the supermarket, today I used organic Yukon Golds purchased at Field Gate Organics.

So what went wrong?  :unsure:

Mashed them too long! The times that I've ended up with glue have been when I let the mixer go too long.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I don't think I mashed too long, but I have to say, it just wasn't looking right from the get go. Oh, and not only was the result very gooey, it was very lumpy too.

I think I'll try once more with a different potato, as Shalmanese suggested, and if I get glue again, it's back to the food mill for mashed potatoes.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the culprit may be overcooking the potatoes slightly, too. I generally use a starchy instead of a waxy potato for my mashers, which also has some affect.

Experiment. Besides, gluey potatoes aren't that bad. You can always use them as ingredients for things like breads...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.