• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Planning for SobaAddict70's Upcoming Blog Week

Our next eGullet Foodblog by SobaAddict70 will be starting On May 25th and run through May 31st.

As noted in the Coming Attractions topic we are adding a little twist by asking members to participate in the ingredient selection.

Below is a list of items that were available as of this past weekend. Potentially unavailable items are marked with an asterisk.

Members are invited to select 5-7 items on the list which the blogger will buy during his trip to Union Square Green Market on 5/25/13. When he goes to USGM he typically spends anywhere from $30 to $50, depending on the season and whim. He states: 'Protein will be at a minimum, because protein at the greenmarket IS expensive, so if I get protein, that means less room for vegetables. (I usually buy protein elsewhere, from places like Citarella (for fish), Fairway (for beef, on the rare occasions that I eat red meat) or my local butcher for anything else. An exception is chicken, which I buy from Quattro's or Violet Hill.)" Keep in mind that his focus is mostly meatless, seasonal, and local.

The most frequently selected items in member posts within this topic will make the list for menu planning.. Feel free to throw in a menu idea if you like.

INGREDIENTS:

asparagus -- typically $5 a bunch, and these are LARGE bunches
ramps* -- $3.50 a bunch, or 3 bunches for $10
eggs -- $5 per dozen. pheasant eggs* and wild turkey eggs* can cost more.
butter -- $3.50
garlic scapes -- $3 (could be off)
strawberries -- $5/pint
cremini mushrooms
oyster mushrooms
shiitake mushrooms
portobello mushrooms
heirloom potatoes
shallots
yellow onions
red onions
gold cippolini onions
rainbow carrots
lettuces
Japanese turnips -- $3.50 per bunch
apples
herbs
edible flowers (nasturtiums, edible violets) -- $5 per box
baby mesclun -- $12 per 1/4 lb.
pea shoots -- $12 per 1/4 lb.
mesclun -- $6 per 1/4 lb.
fava bean greens -- $12 per 1/4 lb.
fiddlehead ferns*
broccoli rabe -- $4 a bunch
spinach -- $3.50 per lb. (could be off)
French breakfast radishes
soft-shell crabs
cod
mussels
scallops
cooked lobster (usually $10 per lb.)

How about something Hawaian using Spam?

Not my first thought for seasonal, local and mostly meatless ;)

Please note that the blogger will not be participating in this topic. This is just an idea topic and he will jump in with both feet on Saturday when the blog starts.

Asparagus

Strawberries

Mushrooms

soft-shell crabs

Mussels

rainbow carrots

spinach

really looking forward to this. :biggrin:

Hmmm - can you pick one of the mushroom because he lists 4 types?

I have been following SobaAddict's posts in that dinner thread for a very long time. Yet I can not recall him ever making Soba.

So, I will nominate Soba. Made with these ingredients:

cremini mushrooms

oyster mushrooms

shiitake mushrooms

portobello mushrooms

pea shoots

Can't wait for another foodblog :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Perhaps you could make one of these:

Cippoline in agrodolce (sweet and sour onions) with the shallots and cipollini, or verdura in agrodolce with the onions plus turnips and carrots

Cioppino (tomato and fish stew) with the potatoes, tomatoes, scallops, mussels and cod

Fish curry with the shallots, herbs, spinach and cod and some coconut milk

Asparagus ribbon salad with the lettuce, turnips and radishes

Spinaci alla Romana (spinach with raisins and pine kernels)

Anyway, my picks:

Cipollini

Turnips

Spinach

Mussels

Herbs

Mushrooms

Eggs

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Fun! :smile:

Japanese turnips

French breakfast radishes

Edible flowers

Butter

Rainbow carrots

Soft shell crabs

As an aside - Japanese turnip & butter sandwiches are a great late night snack!

asparagus

eggs

butter

radishes

ramps or garlic scapes

fiddleheads

one of the mushrooms (no morels at the Market?)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer