• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions 2012 & 2013

heidih

I'm glad someone is finally volunteering again!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Is the holiday Dia de los Muertos? That's a festival and not celebrated in all of Latin America.

Those look like Mexican sunflowers, though.

Dia de los Muertos is a festival, but Todos Santos is a holiday over most of LatAm.... And in many Latin American countries, Muertos is celebrated under different names.... :D

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

As Panaderia Canadiense mentioned, the names may vary but the concept is grounded in the religious celebrations of All Saints Day (Nov 1) and All Souls Day (Nov 2) Here is just one of many references available http://gosouthamerica.about.com/cs/southamerica/a/TodosSantos.htm

So......what I was referring to yesterday was some anticipated food reporting surrounding those days.

Thanks in advance to all who will join in with their experiences.

More than simply a cemetery - a Catholic one. That's the cross of Mary. So whoever we're blogging with is in a place where people would put such a thing up. I'm now thinking we've got a Latin America blogger for sure.... Nancy in Pátzcuaro?

More than simply a cemetery - a Catholic one. That's the cross of Mary. So whoever we're blogging with is in a place where people would put such a thing up. I'm now thinking we've got a Latin America blogger for sure.... Nancy in Pátzcuaro?

Where in Latin America where it is cold enough that tree leaves fall?

dcarch

Central America would be my guess, the countries that are above the equator share the weather of the Northern Hemisphere.

That is definitely a cross of the Virgin Mary (see the entwined VM at the center of the cross). So, that narrows it down to NA, CA and SA.

It might seem, then, that religion (Catholic) could be a large part of this upcoming FOOD blog? I hope not. If it were to be, that would be too bad. I thought religion was something that was to be avoided in a general sense as a focus on this forum (as on any forum not specifically devoted to discussing religion) unless the thread did clearly involve religion.

Edited by huiray (log)

It might seem, then, that religion (Catholic) could be a large part of this upcoming blog? I hope not. If it were to be, that would be too bad. I thought religion was something that was to be avoided in a general sense as a focus on this forum (as on any forum not specifically devoted to discussing religion).

Huiray: while religion is avoided here, there are major (off the top of my head) Catholic, Buddhist, and other religious festivals that have a huge food component traditionally. It does a disservice to the food if we don't also discuss the surrounding traditions. Discussion of the reasons things are eaten isn't proselytizing (something I hate, incidentally), it's providing context.

Where in Latin America where it is cold enough that tree leaves fall?

dcarch

Chile, Argentina, southern Brazil, parts of Paraguay and Uruguay.... But there are also deciduous trees here at the equator, and all through the tropics. Cold is not a requisite for fallen leaves or "fall" colour in many places.

• Like 1

huiray - We are discussing two separate upcoming topics. One about the food traditions surrounding Todos Santos and the other an eG Foodblog located in a country with sunflowers and occasional ancient crosses in the landscape.

• Like 1

"-----I'm now thinking we've got a Latin America blogger for sure....-----"

Not necessarily.

Certain German speaking Russians in Kansas also have a tradition of cast iron crosses in their cemeteries.

Therefore

"Sunflower State"

Got it?

dcarch