• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblogs: Coming Attractions 2012 & 2013

heidih

Kansas is not part of this blog, from what I can figure. Yes, they have sunflowers and many Catholics. Greens are still growing, however.

Huiray, there is a saint for every calendar day in the Roman Catholic religion and is reflected by Christopher Columbus' naming of the Caribbean Islands according to the days on which they were sighted. Catholicism and mysticism informs the very lives of many who live their faith and it isn't verboten to speak of faith in an every day context. Older generations understand this. My grandmother used to bless the bread before she slid it into the oven. The slashes on round loaves of bread are a representation of the Cross.

That said, I am thinking this one is rural-ish Southern Mexico, going by the shoes and jeans on the figure in the last photo.

That's a market stall, in a free-for-all type farmer's market. I'm sticking to my guns on Latin America.

Leafy greens may be in season wherever that was taken, but simply not be part of what that farmer's selling....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Well, they're all storage vegs. The beets are not fresh--you can see the tops have been cut off. The carrots still have the green tops, so they are fresh (or fresher). Many of the carrots are slender. A spring crop? The garlic, I don't know. If we had a close-up of the garlic, I could check for mold. Then I would know the garlic has been stored for at least a few months.

My CSA (in Northern California) would deliver vegs like this in the early spring. Beets and garlic would come out of storage. The carrots would be an early spring crop.The potatoes would also be fresh, a spring crop.

Some place in South America. Those are slim pickings for a farmers market. The locale is coming off cold weather, and/or it's at a high elevation.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

"----I'm sticking to my guns on Latin America.----"

Are those typical Latin American common vegetables?

I still think Kansas. :unsure:

Next picture please. :smile:

dcarch

Yes.

Potatoes? Check. Beets? Check, and they're normally topped like that even when they're fresh because very few Latin American countries regard beet greens as more than pig fodder. Garlic and onions? Check and check. Carrots? So common in most Latin American countries that vendors often give 'em away with other purchases, and these almost always come with the greens which are a pot herb. The basket in the background appears to have some sort of small furry critters in it - if I really wanted to play devil's advocate, I'd say they look like cuyes, but I suspect they're rabbits.... That's not as common in North American farmer's markets. I'm sticking by Latin America.

Potatoes? Check. Beets? Check...

Based on what you see in the market baskets, which part of Latin America? North or south of the equator?

For the onions to be gold rather than red and that fresh, north of the equator.

I'll be delighted no matter who it is.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog