• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inappropriate Chicken Names

DanM

My wife and I have discussed the possibility of purchasing some backyard chickens for the girls to play with and care for. Some rather um... creative names for the birds came up in our discussion. Some of the top names are Spatchcock, Colonel (as in Sanders), Coco (Coq Au Vin), and Kapparos.

Do you have any fun and inappropriate names for chickens?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I just got back from North Carolina and lots of people we stayed with have chickens. Chickens are a laugh a minute, and seem able to live up to just about any name you can think of. Our friend's heart belongs to a chicken named Fiona. All names for chickens seem equally inappropriate and excellent. My first red hen is going to be named Paprika. Or Pippi Longstocking.

off the top of my head.. General Tao , Schmaltz , you could name a pair of them Sweet and Sour.

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

My daughter raised chickens at school some years ago. One of the class favorites was called Count Crapula, and when she brought three home I wanted to name them Satay (the brown one), hainan (the white one) and Bakar (the black one) after my favorite Malaysian chicken dishes.

We currently have three others with more conventional names - Henny, Penny and Mudslide (white chicken with brown breast feathers)

Simon

i used to have sam and ella.

my current flock is named after noted women in the kitchen: marion cunninghen, sara moulton, ruth reichl, crescent

dragonwagon, la julia and dorie greensphen.

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook