• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

formatting

Here are my Brooklyn experiments from last Thursday. I used Bulleit for the rye and Noilly Prat for the dry vermouth.

8746646104_8f26a161dd_z.jpg

On the left, the dry vermouth-heavy version: 2 oz rye, 0.25 Picon, 0.5 oz dry vermouth, 0.25 oz maraschino liqueur. This is similar to Difford's but with the rye increased from 1.5 to 2 oz.

On the right, the Picon-heavy version: 2 oz rye, 0.5 Picon, 0.25 oz dry vermouth, 0.25 oz maraschino liqueur. This is the version from the Bartender's Choice app that I've been using lately.

The first version is drier and feels a little bit lighter. More crisp. The second version is more rounded and has a fuller flavor. They both work but the second one is my first pick because it accentuates the flavor of the Picon and makes a more distinctive cocktail.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

Here are my Brooklyn experiments from last Thursday. I used Bulleit for the rye and Noilly Prat for the dry vermouth.

8746646104_8f26a161dd_z.jpg

On the left, the dry vermouth-heavy version: 2 oz rye, 0.25 Picon, 0.5 oz dry vermouth, 0.25 oz maraschino liqueur. This is similar to Difford's but with the rye increased from 1.5 to 2 oz.

On the right, the Picon-heavy version: 2 oz rye, 0.5 Picon, 0.25 oz dry vermouth, 0.25 oz maraschino liqueur. This is the version from the Bartender's Choice app that I've been using lately.

The first version is drier and feels a little bit lighter. More crisp. The second version is more rounded and has a fuller flavor. They both work but the second one is my first pick because it accentuates the flavor of the Picon and makes a more distinctive cocktail.