• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! re prime rib in the oven

PassionateAmateur

This is a bump up, no sense in starting a new thread so here goes...

I am the proud owner of a 12 lb Angus prime bone in rib roast. I want to cook it with the bones in, I don't want to lose the flavor. I understand the Cook's version, I just wonder what the initial criteria were to go to that kind of trouble. Besides, this piece of meat is a big investment even for a holiday dinner, so I'd like to focus on cooking it, not risking it look like the results of an autopsy.

Weather should be good for the grill, and I rock at the kettle. However, I do not have the time to stand over a grill on Christmas and no one else here will respect this piece of meat more than I will, so I am asking for tried and true kitchen oven recipes that will give this cow it's due.

If the weather is good, and I can carve out the time, the grill looks like the way to go, but the time thing is iffy.

So, according to the above posts, it's low cook then brown, or brown then low cook.????? The info on the spice rub was good, I do not like the taste of burnt spices either but never made the size connection. Are there things I should avoid in a rub? like sugar? I have a spice mix that I like but it has sugar in it, and I wonder if I should use a rub at all if I'm going to sear it. Maybe just plenty of fresh ground pepper and coarse sea salt?

any and all ideas are most welcome.

ok, now I get the reasoning behind cutting the bone off (wish I had googled this before I bought the roast, the butcher could have done it much better than I will) but the info I'm seeing is still all over the place….apparently it does not take that long to cook. some brown, then rub, then low oven for a bit..some just s&p blast at 500 for a bit, then low for a while….

will keep reading

If this were my roast I would do it one of two ways

A. If it has a generous fat cap I would remove it from the fridge 4 hours before hand. I would season with salt and pepper only, leave the bones on until time to carve and cook it for 5 minutes per pound in a 500F oven then turn off the oven and leave undisturbed for at least two hours. This should give you rare roast beef. For medium rare add an additional 10 minutes.

B. If it has been trimmed to within an inch of its life (no fat cap or very little) I would still take it out of the fridge 4 hours ahead but would cook it low and slow. Preheat oven to its lowest setting (am assuming 150F). Place roast fat side up in shallow pan and cook until internal temp is 120F for rare or 130F for medium to medium rare. This could take up to 6 1/2 hours in a 150F oven. Remove it from the oven and tent with foil for as long as 1 1/2 hours. About 10 or so minutes before you are ready to serve put it back into a pre-heated 500F oven for 5-10 mins or until browned as you like it. Give the oven time to reach 500F! Should not need to rest so carve and serve.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thinking about what AnnaN has suggested

I think she is absolutely correct.

Id add some sort of 'Roast Beef Seasoning" : your pick. Rosemary ? garlic ?

We ( I ) would love to know what you did and and see a few pics.

RB ( the better 4 ribs ) I used to do Prime from a fine butcher for New Years Eve.

it served Two. the deliciousness lasted for several days. fork tender with that delicious crunchy fat

not the fat the wiggles and waddles.

**** burp *****

and that was real prime, aged.

sorry *** burped again ***

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Unexpected guests are coming! My husband ran out and found an open store and purchased a five lb prime rib. (Only two extra guests, but he did what he could lol) i dont have time to bring it to room temperature and am in a rush to get it in the oven. I was planning dinner in 5 to 6 hours. All my recipes say to bring it to room temp, i cant so how would you adjust cook time?

Oops this post might be a little late for you now. Take all the guesswork out of whether your meat is done - use a meat thermometer and cook till your prime rib is 55C for medium rare. You might want to consider setting your oven to 60C, roasting for 4-5 hours, checking the temperature of the meat every 30 mins after 3 hours. Turn the oven off when it hits 53C. Before serving, panfry the entire roast to develop colour on the surface.

• Like 1
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Oops this post might be a little late for you now. Take all the guesswork out of whether your meat is done - use a meat thermometer and cook till your prime rib is 55C for medium rare. You might want to consider setting your oven to 60C, roasting for 4-5 hours, checking the temperature of the meat every 30 mins after 3 hours. Turn the oven off when it hits 53C. Before serving, panfry the entire roast to develop colour on the surface.

This. You can also do the sear beforehand, something Blumenthal recommends in Heston Blumenthal at Home. I thought this roasting technique, which he uses with three different meats (whole chicken, leg of lamb and rib eye), produced the best results with beef.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between