• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visually pleasing rhubarb?

fvandrog

Spring has come late this year over here, but finally I've got some spare rhubarb from my plants. The first batch has been used for our favorite rhubarb-ginger pie, the second larger batch for some traditional rhubarb compotes.

I was wondering whether people have ideas for recipes/methods to get some visually pleasing rhubarb as a dinner accompaniment. I know some people infuse it with different alcohols, which I'd be open to try -- though something suitable for our 5 year old wouldn't hurt either.

I agree, rhubarb is the perfect application for SV. You don't even need a sous vide setup, I've done them in a large pan of water on the stove in a ziploc-bag, when I needed the waterbath for other dishes.

One pretty good version is from the dish Crab Biscuits (The Fat Duck), where the chef poaches them in a mixture of grenadine and cointreau. 60C for about 30-45 minutes. You end up with a very tasty and tangy piece of rhubarb, and an intense red colour.

Edited by cookalong (log)

The Eleven Madison Park cookbook has a great recipe for a rhubarb-themed dessert (sheep's milk sorbet, SV rhubarb, rhubarb gelee, celery ribbons, sheep's milk yogurt foam). To make the rhubarb sticks he cooks them SV in a steam oven with rhubarb juice and sugar at 150 F for about 20 minutes. Following the SV cooking step, he has you peel the outer layer and cut them into matchsticks.

If you don't have access to a SV setup, the standard poaching techniques will work well too.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

When is rhubarb not beautiful? Right now I can't think of any pink food that is without visual appeal, actually. Strawberry milkshake. cotton candy. taramosalata, peppermint ice cream, salmon, borsht with creme fraiche.

Here is my rhubarb attempt, quite pleased how it turned out. Sticks were cooked at 65C for about 25 mins in rhubarb juice, sugar and vanilla. Tender with still some bite, very nice texture. Paired well with (hidden under rhubarb veil) sheep yogurt ice cream.rhubarb.jpg

• Like 1