• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel Bar Sets?

Yup - I go to a place called the Metal Supermarket - get them to cut me 1/2 inch square aluminum bar to the lengths I want. I get hubby to buff the ends so they aren't sharp at all. I actually have a variety of bars from 1/2 by 1/4 to 1 inch square for a variety of projects. Very inexpensive compared to the purchased caramel bars.

How big a batch do you need to make at once? I use a square false-bottomed cake pan lined with parchment, fine for the occasional small batch, and the sides are perpendicular, unlike a sheet pan.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

sorry for the late response to this pastrygirl, I needed at least 60 caramels. I managed to build an 8" square from my local steel works place(literally costs me $3) so it got the job done. I would have normally just use a sheet pan or a square cake pan, but in the past it was harder to remove the product from the pan. thank you everyone for the advise. I am sure I will have more questions later on as I am getting my catering business grows.