• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

I picked up a mint condition copy of  'The Lutece Cookbook' by Andre Soltner et al for $1 a few weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lutece-Cookbook-Andre-Soltner/dp/0679422730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441810231&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lutece+cookbook

Very old school French cooking ranging from complex recipes to simple preparations.

• Like 1

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I picked up a mint condition copy of  'The Lutece Cookbook' by Andre Soltner et al for $1 a few weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lutece-Cookbook-Andre-Soltner/dp/0679422730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441810231&sr=8-1&keywords=the+lutece+cookbook

Very old school French cooking ranging from complex recipes to simple preparations.

Nice! Congratulations.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

Kerry Beal and I spent the morning checking out thrift stores. She came across this small cast iron grill pan that has been on my wish list almost forever. It will need a bit of a cleanup but not much. $4.95 less 20% discount because I'm over the hill.

Also very pleased with these four small containers in which even the lid insert is glass not plastic. $1.10 for all four less the same discount as above.

I also found a steamer insert with collapsible wire handles that seemed perfect for use inside my new Instant Pot. Unfortunately it is a shade too large to fit but the handles are easily detectable and I may be able to make use of them to convert something else into a perfectly adequate steamer basket that can be easily lifted out with its contents.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Kerry Beal and I spent the morning checking out thrift stores. She came across this small cast iron grill pan that has been on my wish list almost forever. It will need a bit of a cleanup but not much. $4.95 less 20% discount because I'm over the hill.

Also very pleased with these four small containers in which even the lid insert is glass not plastic. $1.10 for all four less the same discount as above.

I also found a steamer insert with collapsible wire handles that seemed perfect for use inside my new Instant Pot. Unfortunately it is a shade too large to fit but the handles are easily detectable and I may be able to make use of them to convert something else into a perfectly adequate steamer basket that can be easily lifted out with its contents.

Regarding steamer baskets in the Instant Pot or a PC.

I have several sizes of bamboo steamer baskets and the 8-inch size fits nicely into the PC and sits on the "rack" in the bottom and I can fit two stacked in it.  I have also used the smaller 6 3/4 inch baskets when I wanted to constrain something that might "unwind" - such as filled pork buns - I can stuff three into the smaller size and they stay in place.  The bamboo steamers are cheap and durable.  And I often seem them in thrift shops, often in the original boxes, never opened - because a lot of folks have no idea how to use them.  I recently bought an unopened box of Helen Chen's set of 3 bamboo steamers - still haven't opened the box. but they are the larger 10 inch.  Don't know what I am going to do with them but eventually they will be of use.

P.S.  I buy "Helen's" peforated parchment bamboo steamer liners too.  20 for 5.00.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Regarding steamer baskets in the Instant Pot or a PC.

I have several sizes of bamboo steamer baskets and the 8-inch size fits nicely into the PC and sits on the "rack" in the bottom and I can fit two stacked in it.  I have also used the smaller 6 3/4 inch baskets when I wanted to constrain something that might "unwind" - such as filled pork buns - I can stuff three into the smaller size and they stay in place.  The bamboo steamers are cheap and durable.  And I often seem them in thrift shops, often in the original boxes, never opened - because a lot of folks have no idea how to use them.  I recently bought an unopened box of Helen Chen's set of 3 bamboo steamers - still haven't opened the box. but they are the larger 10 inch.  Don't know what I am going to do with them but eventually they will be of use.

P.S.  I buy "Helen's" peforated parchment bamboo steamer liners too.  20 for 5.00.

Thank you for this, Andie. Bamboo had never really crossed my mind but I shall keep my eyes open going forward.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_1433.jpg

I found a pressure cooker in Value Village in Waterdown one day - I didn't need it - but I couldn't just leave it there so I brought it home.

Got talking about it last year to one of the other docs when I was an examiner, as I am once or twice every year, for the College of Family Physicians. She is a wood turner - and she had need of one for one of her hobbies. I happily handed it to her on the second day of the exams - it's always wonderful when something I've found at a thrift store and don't need makes it to a good home.

We also talked about the wood muddlers that I had turned a few years ago for Anna's birthday present. She thought it was a wonderful idea and actually made a bunch to sell at one of the big craft shows.

So I showed up today for the exams and out of her bag she pulled this most wonderful bowl that she had turned for me - made from a maple that came down in the big ice storm in Toronto last winter. 

Now I just need to find a place to show it off!

• Like 18

That bowl is exquisite, Kerry!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh Happy Days! 

Dropped in to the local thrift shop and scored a nice little Bamix with extra blades and a holder for a bargain $3.  I have had my eye out for one of these for years so I feel like I won the lottery :-)

My bamix died early this year, aged 40.

You have lucked in

• 2 months later...

Found this Lenox serving bowl that matches our pattern in a Goodwill yesterday. $7.99 USD. It had just come out on a cart to be put on the shelves. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it on the cart. (Goodwills in our area are happy to let people take stuff off of the carts - less labor for them)

5693ff4bd87e2_LenoxBown11Jan2016.jpg.af8

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Found this Lenox serving bowl that matches our pattern in a Goodwill yesterday. $7.99 USD

What a coup to find something in your pattern!  and ... off topic... I really like those Vinta crackers.....sorry they have been MIA from TJ's recently.  

• 1 month later...

I needed to go into Orange County to meet up with my older daughter. Since we met near my favorite Goodwill in that area I stopped by there after we parted company. I found a larger steamer insert, with a handle, for my Revere pan. I do a lot of steaming.

56be7273cd251_RevereSteamer.thumb.jpg.86

• Like 7

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Nice find, @Porthos.  What size pot does it fit?  It reminds me of my Revere double boiler set, a 3-quart pot with insert and lid.  I'd never heard of a steamer for it. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have a Revere set that sounds similar to yours, @Smithy:  3-qt pot, double-boiler insert, steamer insert and lid.  First pan I ever bought.  

Pictured over here.  My steamer insert has short handles on either side rather than a long one like @Porthos scored.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

It fits the regular Revere 3 qt or the stubby 2 qt.

The smaller steamer insert (I already have one of those) is shaped like the double boiler insert, but much shallower.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I love charity shopping and this thread filled me with delight!

Most of my finds have not been that exciting but I thought you might enjoy seeing the cast iron skillet I found at a neighbour's garage sale for £3, along with a big pile of wine making equipment from the 1980's. It's the perfect size for the Aga hot plate.

56c0c0e53f9a2_IMG_6927small.jpg.9d041e65

Looking at the beautiful job some of you folk have done of refurbishing cast iron I clearly need to do more than the rather half hearted job I've done of cleaning it up! :)

You might also enjoy this. Not a thrift store find, but I recently inherited my great aunt's wedding service after my aunt unearthed it from her loft where it had been languishing for 20 years. It's Suzi Cooper, Wedding Band. She got married in 1935. In pretty good condition apart from a couple of crazed plates and a lid on a tureen that's seen better days. Just need to source a few of the saucers for those amazing soup bowls! We are unlikely to use it on a regular basis as I am sure it's not dishwasher friendly but it's great to have a proper grown up dinner service for special occasions :)

56c0c22b00dbc_IMG_6926small.jpg.3fadcaf2

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 17 September 2015 at 8:26 PM, Anna N said:

image.jpg

Anna, your adventures and bargains are always interesting and make me think that I should find time to explore the many charity shops in our local town.  Unfortunately to date I've never come across anything that I thought would add to our kitchen.  However, for those in the UK, Sainsbury is currently selling a range of cast iron cooking pots, pans etc at amazingly low prices when compared to Le Creuset and other better known makes.  Anna's purchase reminded me of a similar pan bought for £5 a few weeks ago.  

I do hope this isn't considered off topic.  Sometimes one can be thrifty in unexpected places.... 

IMG_3464.JPG.8f5051c64f8ac49ecb7d619e2ee

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I did a charity shop clothes run to the local hospice shop on Saturday. I came away with two proper gallon glass demijohns for £2 each (a quarter of the price of new, and I would have to trek to Shrewsbury to get them), and a terracotta bread baker for £3:

56e9b56c28ced_IMG_6974small.jpg.8e5fcf4c

No instructions, but Google (or here somewhere) will provide, right? I love the retro look of the original box. :) It had been used but is now pristine after a scrub and a dishwash. This company do natural wine coolers which you soak in cold water, so I am wondering if a similar technique would be used here!

• Like 3

Replying to myself in the hope it will help a future browser too!

This object is a terracotta bread baker by Henry Watson, who helpfully have a website with instructions:

http://www.henrywatson.com/about/product-instructions/bread-baker-instructions/

Doesn't seem to be a requirement to soak going on, anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tere said:

Replying to myself in the hope it will help a future browser too!

This object is a terracotta bread baker by Henry Watson, who helpfully have a website with instructions:

http://www.henrywatson.com/about/product-instructions/bread-baker-instructions/

Doesn't seem to be a requirement to soak going on, anyway.

My dear mother gave me two of these bread bakers some 30+ years ago when I first started baking. I still have one (the other sadly broke approximately 10 years ago) and use it at least once per week. There is no need to presoak and after several uses, the pan develops a natural nonstick lining. Thank you for sharing the link, I may purchase a second so that I can have a pair as my mother intended! :)

• Like 2

Sadly they don't seem to be listed on the website as being for sale but they do turn up on eBay now and again, so it's worth keeping an eye and having a custom search going :)