• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

Wow

excellent

Ive never found anything worthwhile, ever

:sad:

Take heart. We are serious thrift shop shoppers. A matter of numbers. Rarely a week goes by that we do not visit one or more thrift shops. Kerry definitely has a knack for spotting bargains. The secret seems to be never go in search of anything particular. There is some magic in the air which defeats all those who search for something specific. Everything you want will ultimately show up just not on the day you want it!

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No pictures from last week but...

I found a made-in-USA Corning French White shallow casserole in mint condition for 1.80 USD.

I found 2 Cambro 4 qt round containers for 89 cents each.

I don't normally post my "ren faire finds" but I did score an RWP WIlton fluted bowl for putting messing things in for serving the head table for 6.00 USD.

A couple of weeks ago I found a BSR Red Mountain series #8 cast iron skillet to recondition and sell on ebay. I paid 7.19 USD. I am still enjoying the cleaning-and-reseasoning of cast iron but I don't begin to need every piece I find and as I have commented there isn't anyone in my current circle of friends that want them.

I spend one afternoon a week going to thrift stores, anywhere from 5 to 9 stores.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Wow

excellent

Ive never found anything worthwhile, ever

:sad:

Rotuts, that just sounds so sad. That said, I only ever found one item at a thrift store but it was a pretty good find, a really nice leather jacket for $10. I've probably had it for about 15 years now and it's still in great shape.

• Like 1

my greatest food-related thrift store find was a mandolin with interchangeable blades.  Not only does it slice, it grates, too.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

This is a large heavy pot that I bought at a flea market. A neodymium magnet sticks to it but not very well. The inside of the pot and lid are tinned. I don't think the lid is original but it has a similar verdigris. The handles are not riveted on and have a unique decoration. At the base of the handle is a mark. Does anyone know anything about it? (banana for scale)

pot.jpg

• Like 2

Haven't been to a thrift store for a while so I decided I would stop in today to see what was new.  Didn't think there was much new until I almost tripped over a box in the isle 5 minutes before closing.

The box said ALL CLAD and had a price of $7 on it.  I just bought it.

DH gave me a hard time the last time I bought an All Clad frying pan for $1.50 but after using the pan he now understands my excitement. :wub:

fondue allclad.jpg

I believe we will be having fodue soon!  There was also a package of William Sonoma fondue forks in the box.  Why someone would give this pretty little thing up is beyond me.

• Like 8

image.jpg

I am back to studying my Japanese cookbooks and trying to understand and incorporate the use of tableware. Thrift shops offer a remarkable array of small dishes in various shapes, colours and materials. This is my haul from today. None were more than 1.99, most were .99 and were further discounted for seniors like me!

Edited to make sense.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

While in the thrift shop I spotted this sake flask and pointed out the cranes wearing tutus to Kerry. We've both lost it at that point and had to have a photograph to share with you.

image.jpg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I am back to studying my Japanese cookbooks and trying to understand and incorporate the use of tableware. Thrift shops offer a remarkable array of small dishes in various shapes, colours and materials. This is my haul from today. None were more than 1.99, most were .99 and were further discounted for seniors like me!

Edited to make sense.

What a score! Based on the picture, I especially like the cobalt blue bowl and the two white pieces comprising the left half of the back row.

I don't know about cranes with tutus, but here's a tutu with cranes.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What a score! Based on the picture, I especially like the cobalt blue bowl and the two white pieces comprising the left half of the back row.

I don't know about cranes with tutus, but here's a tutu with cranes.

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I just scored a 10" Sabatier chef's knife in reasonable condition, but does need a new edge put on it, for $1.99.

15 minutes on the Edge Pro and it has a new lease on life. It will be added to my ren faire knives.

I had a woman offer to help with cutting and chopping of whole vegetables some time ago. She asked for a small knife so I asked about an 5" utility knife. Nope - too big. She wanted. and got, a paring knife. That is one serious fear of knives. Most of the people who work with me in my ren faire kitchens are like me; they want a 10" knife.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

15 minutes on the Edge Pro and it has a new lease on life. It will be added to my ren faire knives.

I had a woman offer to help with cutting and chopping of whole vegetables some time ago. She asked for a small knife so I asked about an 5" utility knife. Nope - too big. She wanted. and got, a paring knife. That is one serious fear of knives. Most of the people who work with me in my ren faire kitchens are like me; they want a 10" knife.

Nice find, Porthos. Over the years I have found some excellent knives in thrift stores but I have noticed in the past five or so years such things have disappeared. The knives showing up now are just simply garbage.

My 2004 eG Blog

I found a two man J.A. Henckels in my local thrift store for a buck!

It's not very attractive. The blade is full tang and probably non-stainless carbon steel. The handle is affixed with 5 thin rivets and is either made of a non-descript wood or rather weather beaten. I've made no effort to clean either blade or handle, but I do wash and dry immediately after using it.

The only markings on it are "J.A. Henckels Twinworks", the two man logo and the numbers 62-6". Yes it is a 6" blade of a general utility shape.

I'd be very interested if anyone has any info on it, age etc.

p

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpg

Today's thrift store haul.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog