• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

Wow   looks to me you are 90 % of the way there !

do you plan a multi layer flax seed oil coating for the interior ?  do you plan any sort of very fine 'sanding ' of the interior ?

400 grit even a little 600 grit at the end pre oil ?

I hope you can find the time to document for us the various steps you use.

I have three pans from my mother, purchased just before WWII in Waren OH that I plan to rejuvinate this spring

these are Wagner Ware Sydney O

http://www.castironcollector.com/wagnertm.php

my pans have the logo of the pan on the far R top

your pan looks superb !

Thank you, Ashen. I will be posting a picture on the FB group page asking about the probable date of manufacture.

For this pan I have chosen to use the method from the link that Shel_B provided.

Here is the pan after the self-clean and initial steel wool scrub:

I can tell you the dates of manufacture for your "Big Block" Griswold skillet...   This "logo" was introduced in 1920 and used until 1940 - after which the size of the logo was reduced to a smaller circle and block letters. 

This site has a concise list of the timeline for Griswold

I have all the Griswold/Wagner (et.al) books as I have a considerable collection of "heavy metal" ...

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

rotuts,

I am planning on using Crisco following the directions from the video (by Jeffery Rogers aka The Culinary Fanatic) linked to by Shel_B upthread.

The last pan I restored I used olive oil successfully. I would use plain soy-based vegetable oil if I were to buy oil.

The pan is ready for seasoning but I have no time for that step until Monday or Tuesday.

After seeing how effecient this method is I'm going to restore a Nordicware cast iron griddle next, but that will have to wait until after Thanksgiving - something about wanting a clean home for family that day.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Here is the pan ready for seasoning:

Griswold Inside Ready For Seasoning.jpg

Griswold Outside Ready For Seasoning.jpg

I was able to finagle some time that I didn't expect to get to season the pan sooner than I thought I would be able to.

I did 3 cycles of re-seasoning.  This is the finished pan:

Griswold Inside After Seasoning.jpg

Griswold Outside After Seasoning.jpg

Again I want to thank Shel_B for providing the link to the self-cleaning-oven method of restoring cast iron.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

It is beautiful, Porthos. Hope you enjoy much happy cooking with it.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just picked up a pretty clean Griswold 8 pan of that same vintage on eBay, but since it was pretty clean I paid a lot more. I've read that self-cleaning cycles can warp or crack older cast iron, as they're thinner and relatively more delicate than the modern heavier-than-hell Lodge stuff (which I have put through a self-cleaning cycle).  Good to know yours came out OK, Porthos. Can anyone else here speak on that issue? If it's not a problem I may pick up some quite junky ones and have it!

I've read that self-cleaning cycles can warp or crack older cast iron ...  Can anyone else here speak on that issue? If it's not a problem I may pick up some quite junky ones and have it!

I recomend watching the video linked to in post 251 for his take on cleaning this way.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've read that self-cleaning cycles can warp or crack older cast iron, as they're thinner and relatively more delicate than the modern heavier-than-hell Lodge stuff (which I have put through a self-cleaning cycle).  Good to know yours came out OK, Porthos. Can anyone else here speak on that issue? If it's not a problem I may pick up some quite junky ones and have it!

The guy that made the video has done something like 66 skillets using the method.  He issued no caveats about warping or cracking.  Where did you get your information?  I'd like to check it out.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Quick comment: I've been looking for a Griswold in a thrift stores for many months.

I had to chuckle recently in a thrift store that has a "collectables" section. I picked up a pan in that section that had no maker's name, just the country of manufacture on it. I would hardly qualify that as a collectable.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Again I want to thank Shel_B for providing the link to the self-cleaning-oven method of restoring cast iron.

You're quite welcome.  So pleased that the technique worked for you.  I've only done one skillet this way, and it turned out perfectly.  I've a newer (20+ yo) Lodge that I plan to treat after the holidays.

... Shel

I recomend watching the video linked to in post 251 for his take on cleaning this way.

I've actually seen it before, though perhaps not all the way through. 

The guy that made the video has done something like 66 skillets using the method.  I issued no caveats about warping or cracking.  Where did you get your information?  I'd like to check it out.

I didn't see or read the part where he's done 66 pans like that, that assuages my worries considerably! I can't remember where I read the bit about warping and cracking, but I spent (wasted?) many, many hours reading about vintage cast iron and restoring it, and some of the things I read mentioned it.

Saturday night my DW and I had a date night of some thrift shopping and then a bit of dinner. While at the first store we shopped at I found six Correll dinner plates in our pattern. The price sticker was the color of the week for 50% off. That would make them $1 apiece. My DW said "yes, lets buy them." When the cashier rang them up she noticed that the stickers were marked $1,99 for the set. After my senior discount I got six plates for $0.90. They've been through the dishwasher and are now in the cupboard.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I didn't see or read the part where he's done 66 pans like that ...

I may have misspoken .... Upon reflection, I believe he said that he has 66 pans, so it's possible that he didn't do all of them using the oven method.  I'll have to watch the video again.  However, I'm comfortable with the idea he's done quite a few using that method.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

He says that Crisco has worked well on almost all of the 66 pans he has ...

He states earlier something about using this technique on most of the pans and having to use another technique on some pans that had other issues, as I understand it.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

There is always the bagged oven cleaner method with  a vinegar soak afterward  , if you are worried about the self clean option.    I have passed up quite a few nice pans recently because my wife  might throw them at me if I started bringing home more.   ;) lol 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

At a church sale, for $3. I bought this new (in battered old box) clay cooker.

So far I have made minestrone, a roast chicken and this hulking 8 cup loaf of bread. A bit overdone (it's harder to check temp with the lid) but fine texture.

Enjoying it.

bread in clay.jpg

• Like 5

Nice find JTravel.

image.jpg

Three Lagostina stainless steel pans, two with lids and one without. A recipe book for one pot meals. A small but deep cake pan.

The three pans cost just over $26 with a 10% senior discount. Because they came from a thrift store which supports a charity there is no HST which I consider another 13% savings. The pans need a good cleanup but being stainless steel that is easy. I will be replacing 3 pans already in my batterie de cuisine with these new ones and sending mine to a new home.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My Griswold pan arrived. It's basically identical to the one Porthos got, but looks brand new. Totally flawless, and I see what people mean when they talk about the glasslike interior. 

It has a coat of mineral oil on it to prevent rust, the seller said to remove that with soap and water then season as normal.

Two questions (not sure if this is the right thread, but whatever):

1. Will it rust immediately after i wash off the oil coating? I figure even if I towel-dry it, it will still be a bit moist....and seasoning is supposed to be put on cold, right? So maybe heat it up un-coated after washing the oil off and then let it cool back down before seasoning?

2. What's the verdict on flaxseed oil? I re-did my lodge with it seems to be working better than anything I tried before, but obviously the Griswold's surface is nothing like that, and I've heard flaxseed oil can flake eventually, even if applied very sparingly. I do have over a pint of bacon grease sitting around....might that work for seasoning?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

WoW

AnnaN !!!

Induction are they ?

Ah, rotuts, this induction-lover/owner travels nowhere without a magnet or three.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1. Will it rust immediately after i wash off the oil coating? I figure even if I towel-dry it, it will still be a bit moist....and seasoning is supposed to be put on cold, right? So maybe heat it up un-coated after washing the oil off and then let it cool back down before seasoning?

2. What's the verdict on flaxseed oil? I re-did my lodge with it seems to be working better than anything I tried before, but obviously the Griswold's surface is nothing like that, and I've heard flaxseed oil can flake eventually, even if applied very sparingly. I do have over a pint of bacon grease sitting around....might that work for seasoning?

I use cast iron skillets frequently. Sadly, they are just Lodges but after several years of use they are well seasoned. If I want to touch up the seasoning I put the skillet in a moderate oven after washing and hand drying. In the meantime I take my flaxseed oil out of the refrigerator to come to room temp. Once I'm sure the pan is dry I let it cool to just warm to the touch. Sometimes I just turn the oven off, sometimes I take the pan out and put it on a cooling rack. Once the pan is cool enough to touch I and apply a very light film of oil, wipe with a paper towel, return to the oven and heat to 400F. After about an hour I turn off the oven and let the pan cool completely in the oven. 

I've never noticed any flaking and have used flaxseed oil for at least 5 years.

Edited by cyalexa (log)