• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

yes- it is a regular 120 3-prong plug. 3 separate 1/3 hp motors . not sure where it is going to live yet . I would put it next to our kitchenaid mixer but that area is getting full . I think I am going to have to break down and put in a full cabinet run and counter across the one open wall in the kitchen and get an electrician in to run an extra circuit and a undercabinet powerstrip

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great one Porthos. Is there another piece that fits off to the side where the blade cups attach? We had one when I was a kid but I have not seen it in eons so having trouble visualizing.

I am not familiar with the model you're asking about. This one is complete to the best of my memory, the mechanism that clamps to the breadboard and 4 cones. For giggles I tried attaching one of the cones from my KitchenAid - no go.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 month later...

a few finds last week.

picked these up at a thrift shop

ceramic ginger grater .75 ¢

grater_zps7593aaf2.jpg

Grapefruit knife .10 ¢

grapefruitknife_zps5edb7536.jpg

My wife picked this up on a local online auction site

Wireless BBQ thermo Oregon Scientific $5 still in the package.

wirelessbbqthermo_zps330bcfdd.jpg

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

After Kerry Beal and I had lunch today we went in search of thrift stores as we are so often wont todo!

My food-related haul. A 6 L Cambro complete with lid for $2, 4 tiny casseroles perfect for freezing individual servings of no end of things for 50c each, two small booklets whose subject matter appealed, and a bunch of lab spatulas which will be shared with friends who are into Modernist Cuisine. Between Kerry and I we bought the whole lot of 17. The clerks in the store asked what they were used for. Kerry piped up that they could be used to scoop up small amounts of powders or drugs. The spatulas were less than $1 a piece, the horrified looks on the Bibles for Missions clerks - PRICELESS!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gif . Kerry piped up that they could be used to scoop up small amounts of powders or drugs.... the horrified looks on the Bibles for Missions clerks - PRICELESS!

You and Kerry the "Bad Girls" of eGullet.

I'm sure they have visions of the two of you in your kitchen, cooking up things other than food. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

attachicon.gif . Kerry piped up that they could be used to scoop up small amounts of powders or drugs.... the horrified looks on the Bibles for Missions clerks - PRICELESS!

I'm sure they have visions of the two of you in your kitchen, cooking up things other than food. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I still have several of those. I used them for sculpting wax for little figurines for jewelry (dogs and etc.) Unlike regular wax sculpting tools, those can be gently heated (center of shaft wrapped with a small strip of duct tape) for working the harder wax types and with a little careful grinding on the diamond lathe, can be sharpened to a razor edge...

It's being able to look at an item and see ALL of its possibilities that makes shopping in thrift stores so rewarding...

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I still have several of those. I used them for sculpting wax for little figurines for jewelry (dogs and etc.) Unlike regular wax sculpting tools, those can be gently heated (center of shaft wrapped with a small strip of duct tape) for working the harder wax types and with a little careful grinding on the diamond lathe, can be sharpened to a razor edge...

It's being able to look at an item and see ALL of its possibilities that makes shopping in thrift stores so rewarding...

Yeah - hubby took one off my hands - he'll probably use it to spread glue or something.

Yeah - hubby took one off my hands - he'll probably use it to spread glue or something.

Those look like chemistry lab specials.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

So despite the rain my daughter and I went to the garage sales this morning. The rain is the star of the show because sellers were all but giving stuff away just so they would not have to put it away!

Here's part of my haul

image.jpg

Why only part you ask? See that 20L Cambro and its lid (under the plates)? I got THREE for $1. The plates were 50c each and the new, high quality "butcher" apron was just $2. I am still doing a happy dance.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

See that 20L Cambro and its lid (under the plates)? I got THREE for $1.

Wow. Just Wow...

EXACTLY. Had to control my enthusiam when she mentioned the price! Probably my best ever bargain. Each still had an original pice sticker of $27.99 and I know the lids are sold separately.

My 2004 eG Blog

Great find. I have lots of the Cambro containers. I buy them at Smart & Final as they often have "package deals" with the lids included for the big ones.

I store everything in them, small packages of dry ingredients, beans, grains, and when I travel with full bottles, they go into the big Cambros because they will contain spills in case of an accident. (I once had to stop suddenly and a box containing several jars of pickles fell over and two jars broke. The smell was still evident when I traded that one in on a newer model a couple of years later...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely frugal and frequently check out yard sales (sadly coming to an end soon in my area), flea markets & thrift stores for a variety of things.

Got reconnected with good old cast iron when I found a Wagner & Griswold skillet for $1 each at a yard sale. CI collection is always ready for new additions.

Actually BOUGHT a basic Kitchenaid stand mixer a few years ago. THEN found a "vintage", faded yellow, crank-up/down model at Goodwill for $20... with whisk, paddle & dough hook and in great working condition... just couldn't pass that up.

BOUGHT a Cuisinart basic food processor several years ago. THEN found another at a thrift store for $8... thinking great, a spare bowl and blades at the least. Ended up being a step UP from what I already had! THEN found yet ANOTHER one at the SAME thrift store about 2 months ago... again $8, but this time with about 8-10 extra slicing/shredding/grating blades... and again another step up from what I had.

Anybody else in this "club"??

• Like 1

Definitely frugal and frequently check out yard sales (sadly coming to an end soon in my area), flea markets & thrift stores for a variety of things.

Got reconnected with good old cast iron when I found a Wagner & Griswold skillet for $1 each at a yard sale. CI collection is always ready for new additions.

Actually BOUGHT a basic Kitchenaid stand mixer a few years ago. THEN found a "vintage", faded yellow, crank-up/down model at Goodwill for $20... with whisk, paddle & dough hook and in great working condition... just couldn't pass that up.

BOUGHT a Cuisinart basic food processor several years ago. THEN found another at a thrift store for $8... thinking great, a spare bowl and blades at the least. Ended up being a step UP from what I already had! THEN found yet ANOTHER one at the SAME thrift store about 2 months ago... again $8, but this time with about 8-10 extra slicing/shredding/grating blades... and again another step up from what I had.

Indeed! I buy every good Cuisinart I find and distribute them the the processor needy! I've probably found good homes for a dozen or more over the years. You can't beat the old ones. They don't make them well anymore.

• Like 2

The reason I hang on to my 25-year-old 20 cup Cuisinart (the "commercial size") is because it really comes in handy when I have a large batch of something to process without having to empty the bowl many more times.

It has a heavier motor (it weighs a lot more than the 14 cup) and can run continuously without heating up.

My DLC-X (the 20 cup size) was purchased on e-bay for a few bucks - "doesn't seem to work but can hear the motor click" - my suspicion was that they didn't know how to put the lid on and I was correct. Of course I did get hubby to give it a clean inside the motor housing and rewire a couple of things that were getting kind of sketchy.

• Like 2

My DLC-X (the 20 cup size) was purchased on e-bay for a few bucks - "doesn't seem to work but can hear the motor click" - my suspicion was that they didn't know how to put the lid on and I was correct. Of course I did get hubby to give it a clean inside the motor housing and rewire a couple of things that were getting kind of sketchy.

That's a great deal. I paid a lot for mine but pro-rating it over the years I have had it, it has more than paid for itself.

And many people have had problems with various appliances like this because they simply DO NOT READ THE DIRECTIONS! One woman had seen a Cuisinart used on a cooking show without the feed tube plunger in place (because some "experts" learned how to "jimmy" the switch inhibitor) and declared it "will not work" because she tried to leave the apparatus off.

When I explained to her that it was a safety feature, she wouldn't listen and ended up taking it back to the store. She had purchased it at Costco so no questions asked.

Definitely frugal and frequently check out yard sales (sadly coming to an end soon in my area)....

Clearly, you're in good company! I have to ask why the yard sales are coming to an end soon. Please tell me that it's because you're in a northern clime, instead of some impending zoning restriction...?
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

While this was on ebay, not at a yard sale or a thrift store, I am doing a major happy dance. I have a 9 1/2 inch chef's knife that I have had for over 30 years that I love. It has long since gone out of production. I found one just slightly used on ebay for under $30.00 including shipping. I will need to put a new edge on it but my EdgePro will handle that. The new knife will be for veggie prep and such and will never see the inside of my dishwasher (most of my knives do go in - but separated so as not to bang into each other or other things). My old one with the very rugged-looking handle will still be for the protein chores. This is a birthday present that I will remember for a long time. The original knife was Christmas 1982.

IMAG0224.jpg

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;