• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

OK, I'm lost. What is it? Is it just a baking dish?

It's most common use was as an ice bucket. It is double-walled, insulated, so designed to keep cold things cold but could also be used to keep hot things hot.

It was a very popular item and was manufactured by the West Bend Aluminum company from the early 1960s and into the '70s. Made in West Bend Wisconsin.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's most common use was as an ice bucket. It is double-walled, insulated, so designed to keep cold things cold but could also be used to keep hot things hot.

It was a very popular item and was manufactured by the West Bend Aluminum company from the early 1960s and into the '70s. Made in West Bend Wisconsin.

Well, dern. Then it wasn't a wedding gift if they were married in 1956. Must have just been something that they had. But I STILL wish I had it!

Well, dern. Then it wasn't a wedding gift if they were married in 1956. Must have just been something that they had. But I STILL wish I had it!

There are a bunch on eBay.

I have to revise the information in my earlier post - the "Penguin" products were introduced in the mid-to late 1950s - so it could have been a wedding present.

I got my first one in 1963.

It was also produced in a (very rare) copper finish. This was not anodized color but copper-clad ceramic over the aluminum base. It did not hold up well and the few I have seen were not in good condition at all.

found one here.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have one, too, but never thought of using it as an ice bucket. Guess the penguins should have clued me in. I remember using mine for chili (with corn muffins) for a fall picnic once.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

DH says my folks had it before they left for San Diego in 1962. That's my timeline.

The writing on its underside says "West Bend. Penguin. Hot & Cold Server".

Who knew West Bend was manufactured in West Bend? Neat.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DH says my folks had it before they left for San Diego in 1962. That's my timeline.

The writing on its underside says "West Bend. Penguin. Hot & Cold Server".

Who knew West Bend was manufactured in West Bend? Neat.

My sister worked at West Bend Aluminum Co. right after she graduated from high school - Campbellsport where my mother's family lived then, was close enough. She started in the office as a clerk but then got a job operating a polishing machine as it paid a lot better but was a dirty job - she said even wearing coveralls, a snood, gloves and face protection she would have black aluminum powder on and in her skin which required scrubbing with a brush.

• 2 weeks later...

A day of thrift store shopping today - yielded this lovely old electric ice crusher -

7069108351_61b2cc1725_z.jpg

And surprise, surprise - we also saw this item - $4 - had a bit of a dent.

6923051032_3b162c1f5f_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those penguin ice buckets are all over the place. But they're so spectacularly fun, everyone should have one. I've given them as gifts but need to get one for myself. Who doesn't love penguins parading around? Fantastic! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That Ice-O-Matic is gorgeous. There is a yard sale down the road but I have rigorously resisted the lure, so far...

The people are new to this area and I should get down there and welcome them. They bought the house fully furnished so I think most of the sale items are from the previous owner.

They didn't put the stuff out until an hour or so ago. Most of the yard sale hunters are out much earlier and I doubt they will get much action now. Most people are at the Poppy Festival this weekend. Not a spectacular display of wildflowers this year but the festival itself is usually a lot of fun.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

That Ice-O-Matic is gorgeous. There is a yard sale down the road but I have rigorously resisted the lure, so far...

The people are new to this area and I should get down there and welcome them. They bought the house fully furnished so I think most of the sale items are from the previous owner.

They didn't put the stuff out until an hour or so ago. Most of the yard sale hunters are out much earlier and I doubt they will get much action now. Most people are at the Poppy Festival this weekend. Not a spectacular display of wildflowers this year but the festival itself is usually a lot of fun.

Resistance is futile....

The Ice-O-Matic works a treat - it's actually quieter than the the manual Ice-O-Mat I picked up in the fall. And a whole lot easier on my tennis elbow.

• 1 month later...

My craigslist find of the weekend - a Zojirushi 5 1/2 cup rice cooker, for 10 bucks! :cool: Had to brag about that. Barely used too.

I have only cooked brown rice in it so far, and that was definitely better than what my 15 year old National cooker turned out. I'm looking forward to trying all the other types of rice listed, and maybe some things other than rice.

My craigslist find of the weekend - a Zojirushi 5 1/2 cup rice cooker, for 10 bucks! :cool: Had to brag about that. Barely used too.

I have only cooked brown rice in it so far, and that was definitely better than what my 15 year old National cooker turned out. I'm looking forward to trying all the other types of rice listed, and maybe some things other than rice.

Nice score!

DSCN1073.JPG

Holmegaard decanter/schnapps bottle for 25 cents at a garage sale last Saturday. In mint condition - has never been used - cork stopper in perfect condition.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pretty! Would be perfect for brandied cherries. Cherry season is coming right up too.

Actually, maybe not. Getting cherries out of it would not be easy.

Edited by Prabha (log)

Would be great for cherry cordial. - Dried sweet cherries marinated in brandy for several months. Strain the "cordial" into bottle, cherries into jar for use on top of ice cream, puddings, etc.

I can't consume alcohol but I do make this for others - took a quart to my daughter for Christmas, gave a quart to a friend for her anniversary in February.

600154_10151124292527013_652982012_9779458_813990697_n.jpg

This gorgeous Culver highball is one of a set of six I picked up on eBay recently. The trim is 22k gold, I believe. That's a SIngapore Sling in there. Everything tastes better in pretty glasses... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Got this for the equivalent of 40 US cents. I'll clean it up and season it this week if I find a few free minutes to do it. I could post photos of the process if anyone wants to see.

009-1.jpg

006.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Looks good, Dakki. The photos would be interesting to see.

I use the extra large stainless steel scrubbers (not steel wool) to remove the crusty stuff that isn't taken off by oven cleaner.

Thanks, Andie. Soaking in dilute vinegar will soften the rust quite a bit if you decide to do it by hand. I have a grit blaster at the shop so I'll probably be using that (unless someone specifically wants to see the traditional method?).

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 3 months later...

In response to:

Spice grinders.jpg

Found yesterday. Spice grinders. Paid $2.00 for all three. They have hardly ever been used.

manual meat slicer.jpg

Manual slicer. Perfect for me - I'm alone so don't need much. I am accident prone so it's hard to take off your fingers with it. It worked fine on the only things I had to try it on - a kielbassa chub and a baguette. Will be roasting an eye of round for a test of its capabilities. Cost me $14.99 - more than I usually spend in thrift stores but I have no complaints.

Other exciting things unfortunately are not food related. Perhaps Kerry will post her food related finds later today when she gets a few moments away from work!

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got the cast iron corn-on-the-cob shaped cornbread pan I've been craving.

Now to make cornbread! (shame I'm the only one in the family that likes it.)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

For sometime I've been wanting a roasting pan but since I would only use it once every couple of years I didn't want to fork out the dough for an All Clad. Whenever I would see one at a thrift store it would be junk, until yesterday.

I was at my local Goodwill and saw a nice stainless steel roasting pan with big tall handles. I pulled it off the shelf and saw that it was Chalphalon model 1805. Made in China but for $12 I guess I couldn't complain, especially since a quick Google search on my smartphone showed that they sell for around $150! The only problem was the pictures showed a roasting rack with it. I looked around on the shelves and there wasn't one. Oh well, I guess I can live with out it I thought. As I was walking to the check out they wheeled out a new cart and there was the roasting rack with a $2 price tag!

I got it home and the rack cleaned up nicely and a little bit of Bar Keepers Friend made the pan really shine. I guess this means I'll have to cook a turkey this thanksgiving.

Chad