• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)

Darienne

[Moderator note: The original Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)]

Bought an electric roaster two days ago for $10. 8 quart. Not sure why. But already it's turned out to be a little wonder.

I am making another round of freezable Tex/Mex enchiladas for quick lunches and wanted to roast some poblanos and other useful vegetables to add to the leftover pulled pork filling. Normally I roast the stuff in the oven. But this was SOO handy. Like a frying pan in which I can't burn stuff. (Yes, I do have that kind of attention span now. The meds nurse brain is gone forever.)

We have two more Sundays to go before we head for home and I shall look more carefully for roaster pans in the local second hand store. I know I've seen larger ones before. Never considered buying one.

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Thrift store finds:

Tupperware Deviled Egg holder - $2

Temperature probe Meat fork, new in package - $3

Good scores.

Katie - those deviled egg holders are wonderful! I use mine for all kinds of things as well as eggs. I wish I could find another one of those!

I found these two Good Housekeeping Booklets from 1958 at a big antique mart in Richmond yesterday:

6806303490_a21ede1316.jpg

P1100396 by ozisforme, on Flickr

6952415477_8b75c63f52.jpg

P1100395 by ozisforme, on Flickr

They were $2 a piece and are delightful! I was really glad to add them to my collection. The ghostly emanation on the Who’s Who Cooks one is not a camera flaw, but the flames from the rotisserie meat. I haven’t heard of most of the ‘Famous People’ and wonder if the average person in 1958 had either. Did people really used to know who the Syrian delegate to the UN was? The other book is hilarious in the fact that while there are 14 pages of French recipes, there is exactly ONE Mexican recipe. I’m looking forward to going through these!

Kim, in 1958 most people only knew the "famous" people in their own town, except for baseball players (football was not yet such a big deal) film actors and TV personalities.

I was in the Army then and during a group get-together I remember mentioning Dag Hammarskjöld, secretary-general of the UN at that time, and most of the folks looked at me with blank expressions.

These were young people (mostly) from all over the country, including some of NYC, and only one other had any inkling.

However, I'm sure all of them could name every one of The Four Lads or The Coasters. :laugh:

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

So Kerry and I slipped into a Value Village today and I bought a $1.99 bag of gadgets. Included was this:

DSCN0602.JPG (pair of miniature tagines)

That is an ordinary teaspoon in front for scale.

Any ideas on the purpose? Each little "hat" comes off.

I would think that they are for table salt and pepper. The hats keep dust out when not in use.

Here is a similarly sized Bacarat "salt" that I picked up for a couple of dollars at a flea market. The indentations are just large enough for pinching out quantities, not for tiny spoons.

6807493566_f0b92e5675_m.jpg

eGullet member #80.

Kim, in 1958 most people only knew the "famous" people in their own town, except for baseball players (football was not yet such a big deal) film actors and TV personalities.

I was in the Army then and during a group get-together I remember mentioning Dag Hammarskjöld, secretary-general of the UN at that time, and most of the folks looked at me with blank expressions.

These were young people (mostly) from all over the country, including some of NYC, and only one other had any inkling.

However, I'm sure all of them could name every one of The Four Lads or The Coasters. :laugh:

To be fair, I think you'd get the same reaction if you mentioned Ban Ki-moon to a bunch of enlisted guys today.

I got some folding bakery racks recently. At least I think that's what they are...

March042012007.jpg

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I've got a number of tiny salt "cellars" with tiny spoons.

This is the double spice tagine like I have but I think the one Anna has is a toy as it is about half the size of my set.

Dakki - those are lovely French bakery racks - I've got a couple but have then out in the garden holding pots of herbs. I cover them with plastic "tents" to overwinter the less hardy herbs outside.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Today, at the Salvation Army store, I saw a Cambro 1000LCD insulated beverage container for $12.99. It's missing the gasket, but that's replaceable. I think I can probably sell it used for more than that.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Spent the weekend in Reidsville NC visiting my grandmother. Found these in at Goodwill:

6976812899_3b7246dac7.jpg

P1100432 by ozisforme, on Flickr

These were the Cooking of Vienna's Empire and Cooking of Provincial France books from the Time-Life Foods of the World series. $3 each! Both of the books were somewhat worn and had folded down corners on a lot of pages. I am intrigued - I'm picturing a lonely little country lady, yearning for elegant, sophiticated meals in the land of fried chicken and congealed salads. I'm wondering how she fared and if she finally gave up and donated these or if they were left behind when she passed and no one cared enough about her efforts and dreams to keep them. I am goopy, I know.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Nice score Kerry! I've been slowly building a tiki mug collection... the problem being I don't love yard saling and haven't found any in the thrift stores so I usually end up paying full price. Still fun though. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nice score indeed, Kerry. I have missed out on that Candy book a few times and would love to get a copy. Well, done.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Those are nifty, Kerry. There is a collector here in Lancaster who sends his entire family out to cover as many yard sales as possible and buys up anything tiki. I haven't seen his collection but a neighbor (sheriff) who was at the house following an attempted burglary, said he had an entire room dedicated to tiki and island decor, music, including a full-size grand marimba.

They guy told my neighbor that his mother went into labor at a Martin Denny concert and he blames his "addiction" on the music... :laugh:

Got these bowls today at the Salvation Army store, nice heavy stainless steel with the cool little pouring lip (the big one is 8 qt., the little one 1 1/2 qt.).I don't usually find anything, but got lucky today, both bowls for $3.50 (gotta love 50% off day). :biggrin: :biggrin:Bowls.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice buy, Quiltguy!

I think this is really cute:

med_gallery_3331_122_136600.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_238002.jpg

It’s a tiered server that I made from non-matching plates that I found at a flea market and dollar store candle holders.

med_gallery_3331_122_325829.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_144474.jpg

Just glued it all together. I have a feeling I’m going to end up with multiples of this piece :rolleyes: . Do you know how many gorgeous orphan plates there are in flea markets and antiques stores? And I have a ton of glue left :raz: .

Very nice buy, Quiltguy!

I think this is really cute:

med_gallery_3331_122_136600.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_238002.jpg

It’s a tiered server that I made from non-matching plates that I found at a flea market and dollar store candle holders.

med_gallery_3331_122_325829.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_144474.jpg

Just glued it all together. I have a feeling I’m going to end up with multiples of this piece :rolleyes: . Do you know how many gorgeous orphan plates there are in flea markets and antiques stores? And I have a ton of glue left :raz: .

Kim, just DON'T put them in the dishwasher! Some friend got a 'redneck wine glass' for Christmas, had his s/o put it in the dishwasher and the stem of the thing came unglued. Oopsie! :rolleyes:

Yes, I envy Quiltguy those bowls! They look perfect for the heat gun coffee roasting technique! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No - I don't think I'll even immerse them - probably just wipe with a damp cloth! Speaking of redneck wine glasses, when we bought the candleholders at the dollar store, the clerk said that some lady had come in the week before to buy 100 of them to make redneck wine glasses for her wedding reception. :huh::shock:

Kim, that is such a clever idea.

You can use clear Museum putty and/or gel for a temporary join that is easy to clean - easier than glue.

The clear is designed to hold glass to glass or china to glass, etc.

Found yesterday, ($5.00) needs a slight polish but otherwise nearly pristine - the bakelite is perfect.

HPIM4635.JPG

Found yesterday, ($5.00) needs a slight polish but otherwise nearly pristine - the bakelite is perfect.

HPIM4635.JPG

I have one of those that I bought probably 10 years ago at a yard sale. Use it all of the time!!!!!

Donna

HPIM4635.JPG

I have one of those that I bought probably 10 years ago at a yard sale. Use it all of the time!!!!!

And I have my Mother's and use it!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

HPIM4635.JPG

Oh, my goodness! Gorgeous. My mother had that. I'd give anything if she still had it. She got it for a wedding present in 1956 and they are still selling used ones that work perfectly. I doubt the one that we received for a wedding gift in 1982 will still be in good working order in 2038!! Too much plastic in it.