• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry aged steak cut offs usable?

OliverB

I dry aged a beef loin for 30 days with the special bags in the my fridge. Took it out yesterday, there's quite some dry "crust" of beef I had to cut off, inedible as a steak, but I'm wondering, can I use this for stock or something? Seems a shame to throw all this meat out if there's some use for it. It's almost like jerky I guess.

The dry aged meat was good, cooks very fast and I ended up more with medium than med/rare, but the flavor was very good. Not sure I'll do this again though. Too much waste, even if I can use it for stock. The UMAi drybagsteak bags work great, but I think I'll use them for for charcuterie. Have a nice big pork shoulder cured and hopefully turning into pancetta over the next couple of months.

As far as I can guess the dry cut off pieces are certainly edible, smell good and all, just wondering if I can use them somehow before I throw a big bag of good beef out....

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

In the past, I have used this "crust" from some dry aged venison as jerky and also chopped it finely for use in ragu. The flavour is too good to waste and, in my view, no risk. You eat the rest of the piece, and the only difference is appearance and water content.

Simon