• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In search of the perfect Parma

So I followed through on my previous post and tried a variation of the traditional deep-fried parma, approaching it like a rolled up Saltimbocca alla Romano.

I flattened out a chicken breast, topped it with proscuitto and buffalo mozzarella, then rolled it up. I initially cooked it sous vide at about 60C, then browned it on the BBQ. I sliced it up and served it on tomato sauce.

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Unfortunately I have to say it was a bit of a fail. It was certainly nothing like a parma. I used much more proscuitto than I normally would with a chicken breast and the flavour was very strong. The lovely buffalo mozzarella that I used was totally lost. The tomato sauce was also a bit strong. The taste and flavour balance was off and it was nothing like a chicken parma at all. I didn't really like it.

What I missed most was the texture of crumbing and deep-frying. I'm now thinking that deep frying is critical. Next time I will try panko crumbs to try and get even more crisp.

Oh well, sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to move forward...

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I have a new favourite way of making chicken parma, based on the baked chicken katsu recipe here. The key is in pre-toasting the panko breading with a little oil.

20210715_172225.thumb.jpg.52af584a1e737ab7d4d67a10993552d9.jpg

20210715_173341.thumb.jpg.e14996f11f235132c4fa73fa9854db85.jpg

Butterfly the chicken and pound flat with the bottom of a pan. Then do the usual flour, egg (with a little water), panko breading. I put Serrano between the breading and the sauce to keep things crispy. The sauce was from tomatoes I canned last autumn with a little tomato paste, sage and oregano from my container garden then cooked down to thicken. I cooked on a wire grill rack at 190 C for about 20 minutes. Served with spaghetti.

20210715_190720.thumb.jpg.8bc6779e1768371d0bdfa569688a36de.jpg

20210715_192629.thumb.jpg.633ba460693d5487758298fbeee8b036.jpg

I'll have to try with sous vide chicken but I don't think it will add anything.

ETA: Cheese was 1/2 mozzarella 1/2 Jarlsberg

Edited by haresfur
cheese (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

@haresfur 

wonderful posts.  was not aware of this thread

interesting how you position the Serrano.

hope to remember that

Ive always put the ham on the chicken , then the crumb mixture

I also tend to use very little sauce.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

@gfweb 

that's the more ' classic ' American version  ( possibly )

and delicious.  I grew up in CA and Italian-ish  was 

not common. so no CkParm  growing up

try adding a good quarry very thin aged ham 

after the wash , so the ham sticks to the Ck .  then more wash

then crumb.  serve as you normally do for CkParm

and see if you like the dish this way.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I would say most parmis all of you have posted here looks much better than the average parmis I have eaten in australia.

While i rather prefer they other way (to put cheese and jamon-other cured meat) inside two slices of meat (veal, chicken, or pork), i have enjoyed a few parmis, and yes, i considered it as a very Australian :).

• Like 3

On 7/19/2021 at 2:04 AM, rotuts said:

@haresfur 

wonderful posts.  was not aware of this thread

interesting how you position the Serrano.

hope to remember that

Ive always put the ham on the chicken , then the crumb mixture

I also tend to use very little sauce.

Ham under the sauce is @ChrisZ's idea upthread. I usually like to get the ham crunchy on top, but in this version, underneath really works. Never thought of putting it under the crumb

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:42 PM, farcego said:

I would say most parmis all of you have posted here looks much better than the average parmis I have eaten in australia.

While i rather prefer they other way (to put cheese and jamon-other cured meat) inside two slices of meat (veal, chicken, or pork), i have enjoyed a few parmis, and yes, i considered it as a very Australian :).

This brings up the great cultural divide between people who say "parma" and people who say "parmi"

7 hours ago, haresfur said:

This brings up the great cultural divide between people who say "parma" and people who say "parmi"

I just know them as chicken Parmi, down here in the Apple island. Didin't know thwere were chicken parmi wars, as paella wars hahahaha

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2014 at 8:44 PM, Shalmanese said:

Chicken Parma is an Australian shortened version of Chicken Parmigiana which means "Chicken in the style of Parma", a region of Italy that produces both Parma ham and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.  While all 3 are a products of the same region, the primary cheese used on Chicken Parma is usually mozzarella or some other kind of melting cheese (with Parmigiano as a secondary cheese) and ham seems to be entirely an Australian innovation.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:06 PM, haresfur said:

When people roll out the argument that it must be parmi because of "Parmigiano-Reggiano" I roll out the "in the style of Parma" argument. Mostly just to tweak them, I don't really care.

But this leads to a discussion on whether it does or doesn't have anything to do with the cheese made in the style of Parma. I started doubting myself that an Australian Parma/i doesn't use Parmigiano cheese. From this topic, it often does not. However, I've seen people advocate Parmigiano in the breading or mixed with the mozzarella.

In the interest of science I added Parmigiano to the mozzarella for my parma tonight. Have to say it was pretty nice (although I didn't have any ham in the house, Parma or otherwise). It may be a keeper.

• Like 1