• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Going On With This Shrimp?!?

Panaderia Canadiense

OK, so I was peeling and deveining some blonde mangrove shrimp I bought this morning from the fishmongers here in Ambato, Ecuador, and in one of them I found this weird black lumpen thing. I discarded the shrimp and its lump, because it creeped me right out and I figure better safe than sorry. Sunday is fresh catch day so these are no more than 12 hours out of the sea, and they're an small-scale traditional fishery so anything is possible.

I'm very curious if anybody else has ever found this in a shrimp. If so, what the heck is it? A parasite? A cancer? Did the shrimp swallow something untoward and then cover it with shrimp excreta, sort of a shrimp pearl thing? It was hard and kind of gravelly in texture (if that makes sense), and it separated easily from the flesh of the shrimp. I was too weirded out by it to try dissecting it.

Shrimp1.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Keith, I know from shrimp with roe, and this was not one of 'em. Thank you for the link, Celeste - I'll check it out, and now I don't feel so bad about turfing the shrimp.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)