• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding phosphate to tea

rasnokc

I'm just wondering if I could add phosphoric acid to home brewed tea. Has anyone tried it? I am trying to cut sugar out but can't stand plain tea or tea with lemon. I am a soft drink junkie but think its the tartness I like about them.

Acid Phosphate is used for soda fountain drinks commonly called 'phosphates' and has a different flavor than citric acid. Since the OP does not like lemon in his tea, and citric acid is a major flavor component of that flavor, it's probably best avoided in this case. http://www.artofdrink.com/blog/acid-phosphate/

Hibiscus blossoms add a fruity tartness to teas that is quite distinct from citrus. One whole blossom can add pleasing flavor to a cup of tea. I use them in herbal blends all the time, but haven't mixed them with my c. sinensis teas, but I have to think they would be more interesting than phosphoric acid or acid phosphate. Another flower that adds some fruitiness although not as tart is osmanthus blossom--very nice with black teas.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you want to cut down on sugar I would recommend organic stevia leaf. Not the powdered stevia but the actual leaf. You can add a few leaves to your teapot when brewing.  I also like to  heat water like I normally would for an herbal tea and add stevia leaf and let it steep until i basically have very sweet water. It's kind of the same principal as making a simple syrup with sugar and water. You can then store it in a sealed container in your refrigerator and use it to sweeten any beverage you like. I like it best in iced tea and homemade lemonade & limeade.

Your One Stop Shop For Everything Organic and Natural TEA!

Discover Tea Health Benifits, Promote Weight Loss, Enjoy Free Samples and Unbeatable Deals, and So, So Much More!

Visit us at http://www.NaturesTeaLeaf.com OR Call Toll Free For The Best Customer Service In The Industy 1-(800)-TEA-9895.