• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

snowangel

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

Don't you just hate when you go to all that effort and the result is a fail....had a few of those lately....time to go back to some basic recipes like cauliflower in cheese sauce.  😯

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Don't you just hate when you go to all that effort and the result is a fail....had a few of those lately....time to go back to some basic recipes like cauliflower in cheese sauce.  😯

I had an epic fail this week.  I wanted corn risotto and I had a recipe for cod fish cakes that also had some corn in it that was to go with it..  I should have known better than to use out of season corn.  The cod cakes would not hold together when made as per the recipe.  I kept adding panko until they were somewhat glued together but then they wanted to fall apart in the frying pan.  The corn risotto was fibrous.  Not a pleasant meal.

• Sad 4

On 5/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, Okanagancook said:

That was disappointing, but tweaked a little and it could be really good.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I had a fail with my pistachio ice cream.  Details elsewhere.  Tonight I took the last out with the trash.  Ingredients were not cheap.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

That was disappointing, but tweaked a little and it could be really good.

Maybe it just needed a rest for a day or two. Works way with smoked cheese. 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:59 AM, Okanagancook said:

Must be catching. My dinner tonight was a disaster. Barely edible and certainly not photograph worthy.  Yet it, too, was something I've made a zillion times with no problems.

• Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

John just walked in with his lunch ...

leftover potato and onion pierogies

thinly sliced oven roasted pork chop

drizzled with CATALINA DRESSING!!!

I am going downstairs now so I can meditate, pet Smudge and Sinder and try to figure out WHERE he came from and WHY I married him

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh my that flouro orange stuff was such a thing back in the day. I can't even describe the taste!  We lived with Catalina Island in direct sight so I guess we thought it was "our" dressing!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh my that flouro orange stuff was such a thing back in the day. I can't even describe the taste!  We lived with Catalina Island in direct sight so I guess we thought it was "our" dressing!

John loves it so I keep a container in the fridge for him.  It usually finds its way onto pasta...………..SIGH

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I love this topic!

One of my Super Bowl snacks was a complete disaster. I never thought I'd complain about brie being too melty.....

I made brie & cranberry baked in wonton wrappers. All the brie leaked out, the wrappers didn't get brown enough, just a big greasy mess. Ugh....good thing I had back-up cheese for a cheese plate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Beebs said:

love this topic!

My like is because you posted not because I like that you had a disaster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog