• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Don't you just hate when you go to all that effort and the result is a fail....had a few of those lately....time to go back to some basic recipes like cauliflower in cheese sauce.  😯

I had an epic fail this week.  I wanted corn risotto and I had a recipe for cod fish cakes that also had some corn in it that was to go with it..  I should have known better than to use out of season corn.  The cod cakes would not hold together when made as per the recipe.  I kept adding panko until they were somewhat glued together but then they wanted to fall apart in the frying pan.  The corn risotto was fibrous.  Not a pleasant meal.

• Sad 4

On 5/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, Okanagancook said:

Don't you just hate when you go to all that effort and the result is a fail....had a few of those lately....time to go back to some basic recipes like cauliflower in cheese sauce.  😯

That was disappointing, but tweaked a little and it could be really good.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I had a fail with my pistachio ice cream.  Details elsewhere.  Tonight I took the last out with the trash.  Ingredients were not cheap.

• Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

That was disappointing, but tweaked a little and it could be really good.

Maybe it just needed a rest for a day or two. Works way with smoked cheese. 

On 5/11/2019 at 4:59 AM, Okanagancook said:

Must be catching. My dinner tonight was a disaster. Barely edible and certainly not photograph worthy.  Yet it, too, was something I've made a zillion times with no problems.

• Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 8 months later...

John just walked in with his lunch ...

leftover potato and onion pierogies

thinly sliced oven roasted pork chop

drizzled with CATALINA DRESSING!!!

I am going downstairs now so I can meditate, pet Smudge and Sinder and try to figure out WHERE he came from and WHY I married him

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh my that flouro orange stuff was such a thing back in the day. I can't even describe the taste!  We lived with Catalina Island in direct sight so I guess we thought it was "our" dressing!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh my that flouro orange stuff was such a thing back in the day. I can't even describe the taste!  We lived with Catalina Island in direct sight so I guess we thought it was "our" dressing!

John loves it so I keep a container in the fridge for him.  It usually finds its way onto pasta...………..SIGH

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I love this topic!

One of my Super Bowl snacks was a complete disaster. I never thought I'd complain about brie being too melty.....

I made brie & cranberry baked in wonton wrappers. All the brie leaked out, the wrappers didn't get brown enough, just a big greasy mess. Ugh....good thing I had back-up cheese for a cheese plate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Beebs said:

love this topic!

My like is because you posted not because I like that you had a disaster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

WTF is that?

Mulch?

I think Jo was trying to carbon date a pizza. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...

33185C21-4C59-4C48-B0A2-33C5E30E956D.thumb.jpeg.306436aadf3e97070b23ebe99cdff202.jpeg

Breakfast not dinner but regrettable nevertheless in terms of being photogenic.  Intention was an omelet stuffed with kimchi and marinated artichoke hearts. Actuality was this dogs dinner served with some chilli crisp. Sometimes visual issues are an advantage!

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I have held my tongue but drives me more batty than usual when people feel compelled to apologize for the look of food. Personally come here for inspiration and expoisure to new to me  ideas. If I want pretty then Instagram etc. are out there in vast numbers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

I have held my tongue but drives me more batty than usual when people feel compelled to apologize for the look of food. Personally come here for inspiration and expoisure to new to me  ideas. If I want pretty then Instagram etc. are out there in vast numbers. 

Interesting. I value taste over looks, but I do find it pretty hilarious how certain foods turn out visually. And sometimes the descriptions are equally entertaining.

For instance, I love dried chile sauces combined with eggs. I expected the combination of deep red and egg-yolk yellow to look lovely. Instead it usually looks like something that emerged from the nether end of the digestive system. Cracks me up.

But maybe I have no more batty to be driven. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Interesting. I value taste over looks,

So do I but that doesn't mean that one can't try to feed the eyes as well. After all is said and done we feast with our eyes first.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So do I but that doesn't mean that one can't try to feed the eyes as well. After all is said and done we feast with our eyes first.

Different strokes for different folks. My nose and my taste knowledge of what is in the food is my driver. Yes I do enjoy the "money shot" on things like runny yolks but not my primary or initial reaction.. I enjoy description. Perhaps the title etself seems "judgey to me "regrettable" Anywho - cook on eGers - I enjoy all of your experiences. So many tables I would enjoy being a guest at.

• Like 2