• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

I had the opposite problem with this dish that I made last Saturday. Photographed well and tasted like hell. So if you see a recipe for Russian pork chops, pass! The last pork loin that I got to cut into chops was a little bit tough so I thought I would braise them in some type of sauce. Instead of tough they were just dry and I can't imagine any self-respecting Russian wanting to eat them. Carlos said they were delicious. It's nice to have somebody that compliments your food no matter how bad it is.

20230305_111709.thumb.jpg.1782d787e56563a766bc0dfdca86ab19.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

The last thing that will die on me is my laugh.  In the depths of depression, grief, despair, and fear I laugh. It is part of my make up from a very young age.  When I was a young women I used to say that I could put up with a lot from a man except for cheapness and no sense of humor.  So we may die broke, but we'll still be laughing.  In my family we laugh at everything.  My mom and I completely embarrassed my grandmother once by getting the giggles (we were BOTH adults) in church.  So, yeah, I appreciate this thread and laugh at food that takes a weird or sordid turn on the way from conception to the plate.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 3 months later...

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.8767e80ed0cd894fe48884df069ce730.jpegFriday night is takeout night around here. It was my turn to choose the restaurant. I picked a pub because they had a variety of dishes that I thought we both (my granddaughter orders with me) might find something we liked. I thought a club sandwich would be a nice change.

We could argue forever about what constitutes a club sandwich. To me it is a three layer sandwich with bacon, tomato, poultry, lettuce and mayo. What arrived was a dried but not toasted bread sandwich containing all of the above ingredients chopped up. I managed to get down 1/2 of it and I'm now staring down the second half. I don't think I can do it.

• Sad 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/7/2023 at 12:56 PM, Tropicalsenior said:

I had the opposite problem with this dish that I made last Saturday. Photographed well and tasted like hell. So if you see a recipe for Russian pork chops, pass! The last pork loin that I got to cut into chops was a little bit tough so I thought I would braise them in some type of sauce. Instead of tough they were just dry and I can't imagine any self-respecting Russian wanting to eat them. Carlos said they were delicious. It's nice to have somebody that compliments your food no matter how bad it is.

20230305_111709.thumb.jpg.1782d787e56563a766bc0dfdca86ab19.jpg

Yes, I thought it looked rather interesting.    And yes, a picture is worth a thousand lies.   I'm reminded of the classic cartoon of two dogs sitting at a computer.   One says.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

IMG_3065.thumb.jpeg.8767e80ed0cd894fe48884df069ce730.jpegFriday night is takeout night around here. It was my turn to choose the restaurant. I picked a pub because they had a variety of dishes that I thought we both (my granddaughter orders with me) might find something we liked. I thought a club sandwich would be a nice change.

We could argue forever about what constitutes a club sandwich. To me it is a three layer sandwich with bacon, tomato, poultry, lettuce and mayo. What arrived was a dried but not toasted bread sandwich containing all of the above ingredients chopped up. I managed to get down 1/2 of it and I'm now staring down the second half. I don't think I can do it.

My cats walked across my keyboard and somehow magnified it 3X.  It looks even worse now.

• Haha 6

• 4 months later...

Tacos10312023.jpg

Yes, I have masa and I have a taco press.  But I don't have a lot of energy and I wanted to show off my new taco holder.  I also wanted something to eat.

This Old El Paso Taco Dinner Kit is possibly the worst meal I have eaten in my life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, could you tell us about the taco holder (which itself looks fine, BTW 😀 ).

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Yes, they are nice.

• Thanks 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...

Lunchtime rolled around as  it tends to and, although I wasn't particularly hungry, I felt like some snacky type things. I remembered seeing a  snack platter on the local "Thai" restaurant's menu, so ordered some up.

crap2.thumb.jpg.96df2ad0bef40779b67049568f12107c.jpg

Looks not bad, right? Here is the restaurant's description (translated by my cell phone app.)

_20231122105543.thumb.jpg.7789693ad3102ae9df39d677febb3d96.jpg

What arrived was this.

crap.thumb.jpg.f8dd2affa8344ffaa84df3f303003393.jpg

It was awful. One of the worst things to ever pass my lips. The curry sausage must have been cooked a week ago, was rock hard, burnt and tasted of nothing but dirty oil, which clearly hadn't been changed since Thailand was called Siam. I couldn't tell the fish cakes and the shrimp cakes apart. They were cooked in the same oil. The spring rolls were a disgrace to Thai food. If they served that in a Bangkok riverside night market they would be thrown into the river. The vendors, not the food. The customers have more respect for the fish!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto