• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

I think Heidi is right. I can't eat pine nuts without having an allergic reaction such as you've described.

You could try making your pesto with walnuts instead and see if that works for you. Authentico isn't all it's cracked up to be if it's making you ill.

No, this time I don't think it was the pine nuts. I've made several pesto meals from the same jar of pine nuts. As I understand it, pine mouth sydrome has a delayed onset (this did not). And from what I've read pine mouth is not typically accompanied by copious secretions from the nose.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Fantastic picture! Did these eyes belong to cow's? Goats? Sheep? Pesky neighbors?

Yeah, I wanna know what kind of peepers too!

I've said several times, they are PIGS' EYES

I apologize! I missed that.

Has anyone ever had squirrel? Traditional recipes for Brunswick stew call for it. I would imagine they taste somewhat similar to rabbit. They are quite abundant here in the Northeast.

Yes, I've had squirrel. It was fried and then done in a slow cooker covered with gravy. Dark meat....a little chewy even after cooking slow and low for hours. Oh and it's a bit greasy too.

Squirrel is (reputedly) much better in cocktails. Which brings us back to my earlier suggestion of frozen eyes. Halloween's coming. Ice, eyes - egad, they even sound the same.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I did think of making them into Scotch Eyes (as opposed to Scotch eggs) as a Halloween surprise.

'Surprise'.

Yep, that's one way of describing that, and definitely worth a picture :) The possible 1000 words that might be prompted by someone finding an eyeball in their Scotch egg should be pretty good, too.

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Has anyone ever had squirrel? Traditional recipes for Brunswick stew call for it. I would imagine they taste somewhat similar to rabbit. They are quite abundant here in the Northeast.

Yes, I've had squirrel. It was fried and then done in a slow cooker covered with gravy. Dark meat....a little chewy even after cooking slow and low for hours. Oh and it's a bit greasy too.

I'll bet sous vide would be the perfect way to cook it!

So, when you prepare these eyes, must you excise the corneas?

I don't understand - why should the corneas be extracted?

I'm think of the hard little discs (lenses?) as corneas. Am I using the wrong word? I don't want to haul out my anatomy text.

• 1 year later...

image.jpg

At first glance you might not think this belongs in the gallery of regrettable food. The broccolini was fine, the mushrooms were quite tasty but that steak. I cannot begin to tell you how awful it was. It was one of a package of three strip loin steaks from a reputable if disliked supermarket. It was sous vided 54°C for a little over an hour. It was then brushed with a little oil and butter mixture and quickly seared on a preheated Cuisinart griddler. I have followed this procedure countless times before and enjoyed a very nice strip loin steak. This one, however, tasted not a bit like steak, not a bit like beef, not a bit like any meat I have ever eaten before. I wish I could describe it. It certainly didn't taste "off" and was well within its best before date. I must now decide what to do with the other two steaks which have also been Sous Vided, chilled appropriately and which I intended for future meals. I am extremely reluctant to relinquish precious freezer space to something that is inedible. I'm not looking for advice just telling you my story.

image.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"" reputable ""

can you take them back, Id  do that.  you must have the 'container' somewhere.

ice the rest up or even freeze  ( ie leave outside ) until you get the chance to take them back.

Well tonight's dinner will be posted in the dinner thread even though it was one of the steaks from the same package mentioned above. This one actually tasted like beef. I won't suggest it was the best steak I've ever eaten but it was obviously from an animal known, once slautered, as beef.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

Would love to be able to blame the weather, the recipe, the flour, the yeast but like most things the fault is purely my own! Not only did I mis-measure the bread pan but even as I put the dough into it and knew it was far too much I still did it! Duh.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

Probably one of my least successful meals of all time! Being alone is sometimes a blessing in disguise. In another topic we discussed instant mashed potatoes. These things are evil. They smell and taste like chemicals and if you mix them as per the instructions they turn into something just this side of soup. I had in my mind a platonic ideal of bangers and mash with onion gravy. What I ended up with was poorly made (purchased) sausages, gravy that was too thin to be called gravy and broccoli that spent a week or two too long in my fridge. Instant noodles tomorrow. Hard to screw those up.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog