• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

mm84321, you mean you never had a pet bunny named Hasenpfeffer when you were growing up? I did; we ate him or her every year at Easter dinner (yes, I grew up eating the Easter bunny - and then I'd take leftovers to school and everyone would want to taste them; I never let them know what it was they were trying until after they'd swallowed it.... :blink::biggrin: )

You're my kind of girl, Elizabeth. :laugh:

I also have changed my view over the past few years in terms of viewing these creatures as a potential food source. Growing up in the USA, anthropomorphic based cartoon media sort of drills it into your head that animals=people, so it was always hard for me to conceptualize the hunting or killing of animals by someone other than the supermarket. Of course, you reach an age of reason and start to see differently, but I think some of my friends turned into vegetarians because of the cartoon aspect of bugs bunny and the like..

Having mice infest your home will change your mind about Mickey. I can tell you that.

It kind of forced me to adventurous, mm84321. I'm now wishing that I'd thought to take pictures last time I had grilled chontacuros (big fat yummy palm grubs) - they'd be right up this thread's new alley....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I grew up on small game, wild turkey and venison!

I love squirrel!

Same here. I love me some rabbit with gravy.

Re: chitlins. Gross. ------------------------"

You like sausages?

dcarch

We were talking about chitlins, not sausages. Chitlins are an alien life form that should only be eaten by one's worst enemy.

Stuffed with tasty sausage meat? That's different.

How about andouillette?

Chitterling sausage!

:cool:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

re: the EB: wouldnt have been any leftovers at my house.

We were 3 people with a Giant Lop bunny in the pot. There were always leftovers - not many, but usually enough to take to school on Tuesday.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I also have changed my view over the past few years in terms of viewing these creatures as a potential food source. Growing up in the USA, anthropomorphic based cartoon media sort of drills it into your head that animals=people, so it was always hard for me to conceptualize the hunting or killing of animals by someone other than the supermarket. Of course, you reach an age of reason and start to see differently, but I think some of my friends turned into vegetarians because of the cartoon aspect of bugs bunny and the like..

Having mice infest your home will change your mind about Mickey. I can tell you that.

Are you talking about Helen Gurley Brown's mouseburger :wink:

dcarch

It kind of forced me to adventurous, mm84321. I'm now wishing that I'd thought to take pictures last time I had grilled chontacuros (big fat yummy palm grubs) - they'd be right up this thread's new alley....

That's great. If you ever want to share a rodent, my stove is always here for you.

Thanks, liuzhou! Is this at the stand, or on your kitchen counter? If the latter, please post pictures of whatever you make with these.

These pictures were taken on my balcony (it's got the best light), this afternoon.

I decided the picture I originally had, and promised to post, wasn't that great, so I bought a batch this morning just to take their picture in more favourable surroundings. The part of the market where eyeball man hangs out is a bit dark and on an awkward corner.

They cost me a whole 6元 for 500g (€0.73; USD $1, UK 61 pence).

The only thing I make with them is photographs! Today, I have asked several Chinese friends what they would do with them and they have all looked at me a bit strangely. The only sensible answer I got was "Give them to the dog." I don't have a dog, but I think I got the point.

However, I didn't get the impression they were being sold as dog food. I did try interrogating the vendor but he spoke with an impenetrably thick countryside accent in some obscure dialect which only five people know, four of whom are deaf.

I shall make more enquiries and get back to you on this one if I turn anything up. In the meantime, the eyeballs are in the freezer. (The freezer manual doesn't say how long you can sensibly freeze eyeballs.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Has anyone ever had squirrel? Traditional recipes for Brunswick stew call for it. I would imagine they taste somewhat similar to rabbit. They are quite abundant here in the Northeast.

Yes, I've had squirrel. It was fried and then done in a slow cooker covered with gravy. Dark meat....a little chewy even after cooking slow and low for hours. Oh and it's a bit greasy too.

Heh. Quite striking pics of those eyeballs, Liuzhou. Yes, do tell us of more details of how folks around your parts cooks these things.

On a slight tangent, I found it hysterical (and somewhat obnoxious, in a certain sense) that these two recipes (amongst others) are named PIG EYES recipes, when they have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with actual pig eyes:

http://breakfast.food.com/recipe/pig-eyes-375529

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pig-Eyes-Recipezaar

In my books they clearly fall into the FALSE ADVERTISING category of spurious oh-so-cool giggly-named recipes.

Not sure how big the eyes are, but if they are small enough you could carbonate them in an iSi before adding them to your drink.

My regettable dinner was a mostly garlic pesto sauce last night. The weather has been cool here and the basil has not been doing well of late. I am as fond of raw garlic as most, but at four cloves per person (me) I went through a lot of toilet paper before the meal was over. The only thing that somewhat saved me was that I had just brought in about fifty ripe tomatoes. I left them on the dining room table, not having counter space. After every other bite of pesto I took a tomato from the pile and ate it.

Now it is the next afternoon and my tongue is still numb and everything tastes funny. Plus, to add insult to injury, I spilled the first pot of pasta.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Now it is the next afternoon and my tongue is still numb and everything tastes funny. Plus, to add insult to injury, I spilled the first pot of pasta.

Don't blame the garlic. Sounds more like the pine nuts got you http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2009/05/got-pine-mouth.html