• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

For the record, Frito Pie is actually kind of tasty... they used to serve it in the dining hall at the college I went to in SoCal. No mustard involved though... the stuff they served us involved fritos, chili, shredded cheese, olives and sour cream.

Sounds like nachos with Fritos instead of tortilla chips. Add some meat & make it "supreme"

oh god.Someone sent me these two today... I threw up a little in my mouth. The food coloring! the food coloring! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2753887andhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2669292The meat ship and meat house respectively. Gross.I need to go find the mouthwash.

Couldn't see the ship...too old, I guess.

But the Meat House....hilarious!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I hope I'm never hungry enough to be tempted to eat an eyeball. "Nose to tail" can take a flying leap on that one. :biggrin:

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There is one stall in my local market which only seems to sell pigs' eyes. I do have a photo, but I think it's best to leave it to your imaginations. I wouldn't want to put you off your dinners, no matter how regrettable.

Give us a picture, please! This is a gallery (and the title is, I think, fair warning), so if you can stomach taking the picture, we can handle gazing upon it in all its glory. And, if you cook something that includes them and add a picture of that, that would be the icing on the cake. I'm curious as to how big the stall is, since meeting even a heavy demand for pig eyeballs wouldn't seem to take up that much space.

• Like 3

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've never bought an eyeball, but an ophthalmologist friend used to do so often when she was in school. She liked cow eyes for practice, because they were nice and big.

What does one do in the kitchen with eyeballs, other than practice your eye surgery techniques? What's the edible part?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Give us a picture, please!

Well if you insist. I'm not at home now, but I'll be back tomorrow. Gives you time to brace yourself! But you may have opened the floodgates for things you wouldn't believe (well, you might believe, but perhaps not want to see!) My local market is nothing if not interesting.

What's the edible part?

The eye.

That's why I"ve always hated the 'nose to tail' expression.There are all sorts of things happening before the nose.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Well, sheep eyes are a delicacy in some parts of the world, and a guest is greatly honored by being offered the eyes to eat by the host. It is a great insult to decline. Try some of the Middle Eastern countries. ;-) Similarly, fish eyes (e.g. in whole steamed fish) in various countries or families following certain cuisines (e.g. some of E/SE Asian origin) are coveted by young and old alike and are fought over by the kids. :-)

I dissected a cow's eyeball in high school. It was a (biologically) cool project. Not cool enough to eat one.

DH loves the eyeballs from steamed fish, he even eats the white lens part. :blink:

There's a grocery store here that sells pig snouts, I'll have to remember to take a picture next time. It's not as disconcerting as a bunch of cow eyeballs ogling you, but definitely uncomfortable to see them plastic-wrapped on a styro tray, nostrils up, all neatly lined up in the meat case.....

I've seen a mother and daughter literally come to blows over fish eyes.

Pig snouts are so commonplace I don't really notice them any more.

Isn't it also true, especially for the Chinese, that there is a common belief that eating an organ will improve the health of the same organ in your body?

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Isn't it also true, especially for the Chinese, that there is a common belief that eating an organ will improve the health of the same organ in your body?

Yes.

pig snouts are pretty good when prepared well. eyeballs are not.

How many well prepared eyeballs have you consumed which led you to that conclusion?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've seen a mother and daughter literally come to blows over fish eyes.

Pig snouts are so commonplace I don't really notice them any more.

dcarch

That's what my grandma used to tell me - eat fish brains, it'll make you smarter. So my sister & I would fight over the fish brains.