• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

• 6 months later...

Chicken Paprikash: An already dead chicken (defrosted in a manner that will make a food safety expert's head explode) boiled to death with lumps of dough in a flavorless broth seasoned with too much paprika. Asparagus suffered the same indignity... Cooked until my 1 year old with 4 teeth can eat it. Speaking of my 1 year old. She had great timing soiling her self, resulting in me missing this dinner as I had to put her to bed... Which I took my time doing.

How was your dinner?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

This is the sort of thread I can see myself contributing to regularly.

red wine kidneys1 (Large).jpg

This was supposedly kidneys in a red wine sauce. It looks like I've swallowed it, half digested it and thrown it back up! Tasted OK, though.

crab cake (Large).jpg

This Thai style crab cake looks like it was plated by lobbing it out the window of a passing plane. Then someone seems to have peed on the plate.

DSC01302 (Large).jpg

The subtle art of plating meatballs in tomato sauce with rice. Picasso eat your heart out - it would be better than eating this mess.

burnt (Large).jpg

BBQ sausage. Burnt to a cinder at one end; still raw at the other.

IMG_5306 (Large).jpg

Maillard effect gone ballistic.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This, though I say so myself, is one of the tastiest things I have made in a while.

However, despite numerous takes it cannot be photographed without resembling some sludge which environmental protection agencies spend fortunes trying to eradicate from the planet.

IMG_4369 (Large).jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

These photos are very funny and very humbling. I'm sorry to say that some of my photos show glossy meat, glossy sauced pastas...and here I was so proud of them! laugh.gif

I was thinking the same thing! Here was one that i was quite proud of, now i dont know what to think. :laugh:

102_5110.jpg

Indeed - looks gloriously moist! Rare for brisket.

Actually, I believe that would be considered well done.

Kidding.

Job well done indeed! It was sous vide for 12 hours before it was smoked for 5 hours and finished at around 165F. Juicy and tender. Sliceable with just a tiny bit of pull. Can cut with just a fork.

• 1 month later...

gallery_18727_1762_76149.jpg

Meat should not look shiny... ever.

This is one of the strangest statements I have read on eGullet. I completely disagree. Even though your dish here "looks" quasi-"East or SE Asian" (it seems to be paired w/ rice?) I must conclude from your vehement statement that you must either have never eaten any Chinese meal or alternatively would never look at any Chinese stir-fry dish with appreciation even if it is from the finest professional kitchen. Even with Western cuisine I see many delectable dishes portrayed on the Dinner thread from many talented folks that feature, yes, shiny meat. What's wrong with meat that looks shiny? But perhaps it is just a strongly held personal preference of yours?

Edited by huiray (log)

. . . . What's wrong with meat that looks shiny? But perhaps it is just a strongly held personal preference of yours?

Let's face it, 'regrettableness' is as least as much in the eye of the beholder as is beauty.

For example, I find many forms of Danish sausage quite unfortunate-looking, like this offering at a Danish Middle-ages Festival (something like a Ren. Fest., but with more focus on period authenticity, hence the cabbage leaf presentation):

WP_000201 (2).jpg

Despite the cabbage leaf, the sausage is a fairly standard type. I'm loathe to articulate what I find a bit disturbing about the appearance, but leaving aside the potential for hackneyed innuendo, this 'oddness' is only apparent to me, as an outsider; to Danes, who grew up with these, this just looks tasty (and this particular smaple was, in fact remarkably tasty).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

. . . . What's wrong with meat that looks shiny? But perhaps it is just a strongly held personal preference of yours?

Let's face it, 'regrettableness' is as least as much in the eye of the beholder is beauty.

For example, I find many forms of Danish sausage quite unfortunate-looking, like this offering at a Danish Middle-ages Festival (something like a Ren. Fest., but with more focus on period authenticity, hence the cabbage leaf presentation):

attachicon.gifWP_000201 (2).jpg

Despite the cabbage leaf, the sausage is a fairly standard type. I'm loathe to articulate what I find a bit disturbing about the appearance, but leaving aside the potential for hackneyed innuendo, this 'oddness' is only apparent to me, as an outsider; to Danes, who grew up with these, this just looks tasty (and this particular smaple was, in fact remarkably tasty).

I'm sure the sausage is tasty, but what is the white rock for?

original.jpg

Pizza cooked in a Kamado. Preheated to about 450C (i.e. REALLY HOT!!!) and cooked on a pizza stone. Bottom burnt. Top barely cooked. Interior still doughy. Never again!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw