• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

• 5 months later...

I made this for lunch tomorrow, and I knew as soon as it was finished I had to report it here.

gallery_41378_6780_146104.jpg

Turmeric: meet red cabbage. Red cabbage: meet turmeric. Lunch: meet Gallery of Regrettable Food. My camera can't even capture the Prussian blue-meets-yellow ochre matte horror of this dish.

I made this for lunch tomorrow, and I knew as soon as it was finished I had to report it here.

gallery_41378_6780_146104.jpg

Turmeric: meet red cabbage. Red cabbage: meet turmeric. Lunch: meet Gallery of Regrettable Food. My camera can't even capture the Prussian blue-meets-yellow ochre matte horror of this dish.

But Erin, how did it TASTE? :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Actually really good, as I'd let the cabbage crisp up in the pan, and it made it quite sweet. I actually garnished with fresh chopped cilantro, which helped a little, too. Mixed in with the rice, it wasn't as horrifying.

But yeah, it did look like a stream bed.

• 1 year later...

This little beauty was delicious (black sesame filling), but everytime I see this picture, I think of this thread, so here it is.2012-03-28 download 015.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

This was beef stroganstuff (not quite a true stroganoff - no cream); delicious, but it looks kind of like cat yukk with noodles in it.... Try as I might I couldn't get a flattering photo of it. The peas are particularly unfortunate, I think.

IMG_0100.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This was beef stroganstuff (not quite a true stroganoff - no cream); delicious, but it looks kind of like cat yukk with noodles in it.... Try as I might I couldn't get a flattering photo of it. The peas are particularly unfortunate, I think.

IMG_0100.jpg

Cat yukk is perfect. Hope it tasted good!

Thin sour yogurt (the type sold here for use in smoothies; it has the consistency of thick cream. If you simmer it low enough, this doesn't curdle or separate the way that sour cream does.) It's also much easier on Mom; since she hasn't got a gallbladder, it's hard for her to process the amount of fat that sour cream or nata plus a squeeze of lime implies.

It also means, of course, that I can't really call it Stroganoff. Since it's essentially a variation on what my family calls "stuff in a pan" it was christened Stroganstuff - it's close enough ideologically, if not ingredients-wise....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This little beauty was delicious (black sesame filling), but everytime I see this picture, I think of this thread, so here it is.2012-03-28 download 015.jpg

I think he's kinda cute...imagine him with beady little eyes. :raz:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I haven't made this but I had to share. A 1930s Canadian charity cookbook has a sandwich filling recipe that is: 2 bananas mashed, 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled, 3 hardboiled egg yolks mashed, mayo to moisten, paprika.

My husband wants to try it. The thought of it just makes me gag. What say you? :raz:

Just had one yesterday for dinner. My mother wanted to cook shrimp scampi. Her recipe called for pasta, sauteed shrimp, a dozen cloves of garlic and white wine. She didn't want to use the wine, so she found an alternative. Somewhere on the Internet it said that apple cider vinegar was a good substitute for white wine. After the shrimp were sauteed, she dumped a cup of apple cider vinegar on them -- and that and the garlic made the 'sauce' to pour over the pasta. It was a sad end for those poor innocent shrimp, but on a good note -- I had no problem staying on my diet. :wink:

I was despirate for lunch... I pulled out a Tofurky sun dried tomato Italian sausage (disturbingly good on its own) split it down the middle, and layed one of my daughters mozarella cheese sticks in the middle. I nuked the whole thing until the cheese was melted and the sausage was hot... I ate it on a slice of bread with some red onion...

I hate myself for liking it... but man was it good.

No pictures will be shown for the good of society.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.