• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

The good news: peanut sauces almost always taste wonderful.

The bad news: peanut sauces tend to make otherwise delicious dishes look like a present your neighbor's dog left in your front lawn.

gallery_15557_2797_50308.jpg

Accompanied by frizzled cabbage in a mustard sauce that didn't do anything to enhance the appearance of said cabbage, and you end up with a picture worthy of this thread.

(Those are grilled chicken strips under the peanut sauce. And everything tasted wonderful. It just didn't looks so good.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Sandra Lee's  "kwanzaa cake" takes the cake for me in that department.

Oh yeah, and that was the "Professional beauty shot" on the Kwanzaa cake. :shock::raz:

Reading the ingredient list made it even more revolting. I wouldn't have thought that possible. :laugh:

That cakewrecks blog is one of the most jaw-droppingly appalling and hilarious web sites I've ever seen. Thanks for the link, sazji, and thanks for bumping this topic, gfron!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
What was it?

An improvised breakfast - creamy scrambled eggs with semi-homemade Mussaman curry paste. Scrambling the sauce and eggs together seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was difficult to enjoy the dish without imagining the bilious odor of partly-digested dog food.

The sauce actually tasted rich, spicy, aromatic, and completely free of bile. I started with a can of Mussaman curry paste, jazzed it up with galangal, garlic, lemongrass, chiles, cumin, and cardamom, and then fried the curry paste in cracked coconut cream.

Note to self: next time make the sauce, scramble the eggs, and then pour the sauce over the eggs.

Ah, well with that description, it must have tasted fabulous!

Note to self: next time make the sauce, scramble the eggs, and then pour the sauce over the eggs.

And...you could fry up some rice with chinese sausage or similar, use the eggs as an omelette to encase the rice, and top with curry sauce. It would be fusion Japanase-Thai omuraisu.

Bruce,

that looks truely nasty. The cat hacked up a gutfull of kibble last night, and its a dead ringer (barring the sliced peppers) for the photo. Good work!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 months later...
gallery_41282_4708_50078.jpg

Puffed wild rice that went into a savory granola...it was much tastier than it looks.

safe, inexpensive prop for zombie movie.

I just wanted to type it out here just in case some poor movie producer was looking for solutions via Google. :)

I am just hoping it looks less vermiform when mixed in with the rest of the granola...

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Wow...one dish that looked like it came out of a dog, and another that looks like it came out of a dead dog! :)

Puffed wild rice that went into a savory granola...it was much tastier than it looks.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Wow! That looks Fantastic..........I am so steeling this idea for the halloween party. ( I think I will sneak in a few of the "real" worms if I can find them) *Just getting the visual, giggle*

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I'm just goofing around at work (as usual!) and opened this thread with out really looking at the title. Had the pic open on my desktop but couldn't see the caption yet. I thought it was maggots. This might be a good thing to make for Halloween! How did you do it?

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 1 year later...

In need of a good laugh, I turned as usual to "the other dinner thread"!!!! Thank you again, all who contributed, for my much needed distraction.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

• 4 months later...

Nice job Run! Kinda looks like what the above pic hatched from.........

Brenda

Oooo! Oooo! I have one!

4109 sweater bribe 036.jpg

I was trying to create a memorable vegetarian entree but the new husband said it looked like an electron micrograph of a 14 year-old's chin.

Well I know I won't ever be able to erase the memory of it... (is that asparagus in pasta with some sort of cheese sauce? Because that sounds delicious.)

Patty

HA, HA, HA.............o.k.....sorry couldn't help myself. That just might be the actual funniest moment I have had in weeks! (nearly spit my tomato all over the screen)

Yes, I live an uninteresting life....

Brenda