• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

I love this thread! Hilarious.

Here's a dish I was going to blog about but after looking at it....um... not sure if people would what wonder "what the hell is that s**t brown stuff" I figure the people here would appreciate it  :raz:

gallery_39656_2144_305604.jpg

It's kind of a kiddy dish in thailand. Hard boiled eggs, tofu, and pork belly braised in five spice broth. It tasted great but umm... looked a little funky huh?

this is a classic Chinese dish too. It just tastes great!

My biggest failure to date:  "Pumpkin Caramel Refridgerator Pie":
6. My Crowning Failure  : An attempt at a no bake pumpkin dessert! This will make an appearance on the "Regrettable Meals" thread for sure. Another embarrassing "Sandra Lee" (Did I say YUCK already?) experiment. It started with a graham crust, drizzled with caramel sauce (bottled), then a mixture of canned pumpkin, vanilla instant pudding, cool whip, pecan bits and spices. (Shoot me now.) Next a layer of cool whip, drizzled artistically with more caramel sauce and pecans. Chill.

OMG! the grossest thing I have ever made! Not only does it look suspiciously like baby poo, it is tooth-ache-ingly sweet. I think I f-ed it up further by accidentally using canned pumpkin pie filling INSTEAD of canned pumpkin. Damn, I KNOW the difference. So double the sweetness, double the spices, a crappy (HA) consistency - total disaster.

Pic:

gallery_51818_5282_290516.jpg

If this isn't baby poo, I don't know what is...

And I can't even say "But it tasted good" because it's now sitting in the bottom of my kitchen trash can. :shock:

My grandmotherr tried one of these recipes from a magazine years ago, but she didnt like Instant pudding so made pudding and added that instead of the powder....pumpkin soup anyone? at least she used the good dessert glasses :laugh:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

oh god.

Someone sent me these two today...

I threw up a little in my mouth.

The food coloring! the food coloring!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2753887

and

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2669292

The meat ship and meat house respectively.

Gross.

I need to go find the mouthwash.

oh god.

Someone sent me these two today...

I threw up a little in my mouth.

The food coloring!  the food coloring!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2753887

and

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...hreadid=2669292

The meat ship and meat house respectively.

Gross.

I need to go find the mouthwash.

That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time! :laugh:

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Sometimes we get inspired from other members' pictures. Recently, FoodMan made the Superb Squash Soup with Parmesan Crisps from Jamie Oliver's new show. Before you read the rest of this, please look at FoodMan's beautiful soup. It's somewhat crucial for you to see it before you view my picture, which I will subtitle "Inspiration Gone Wrong".

Here is my Superb Squash Soup (with no Parmesan Crisp).

gallery_11355_5637_7215.jpg

As you can see, it went horribly, horribly wrong. It tastes OK, but it's very very thick. In this picture, it's cold, but even when it was warm, it was ploppable. As I was blending it with my hand blender, I had visions of...well...you know. It's really difficult for me to eat it. This morning as I was scooping it into my thermos, I almost threw up! If you could only see it in person--the picture just does not do this dish justice.

Now I have a debate going on--suffer through the entire pot of cr...errr...soup, or just throw it away. It really doesn't taste that bad, but my imagination wreaks havoc with my stomach...

Oh, now, can't you just thin it out with something?

Or are the visuals too unforgettable?

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Yeh, I think besides adding more stock and a little cream, you need to put that through a Chinois or a really fine sieve.. Straining all that stuff will give it a silk smooth texture..

Edit to add: I also would add a little grade b maple syrup and cayenne but, thats just me.. I might also a little green apple to the mix..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Yeh, I think besides adding more stock and a little cream, you need to put that through a Chinois or a really fine sieve.. Straining all that stuff will give it a silk smooth texture..

Edit to add: I also would add a little grade b maple syrup and cayenne but, thats just me.. I might also a little green apple to the mix..

good point on the chinois

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Hi everyone--my first post, and of course it's in the gallery of regrettable foods. Sigh. So apologies for the blurriness of the photo, but the idea was this: my best pal was getting married. In college, he lived on these entenmann's doughnuts known to us as pokey donuts, which I know, gross already. But so for his bachelor party I wanted to make him a cake featuring his other favorite food, chocolate bundt cake (no he's not horribly fat, the bastard) "iced" with these doughnuts. I imagined a scenario where I'd have this awesomely weird textured cake and really '50s-looking architectural elements created by poky donut holes on toothpicks. Alas, as happens to many of my grand-yet-untested baking plans, things did not go as I'd hoped.

Behold the pokey donut cake:

gallery_58071_5655_416865.jpg

Side view:

gallery_58071_5655_586105.jpg

Scatalogical, I know. All I can say is that I'm sorry.

Hello, welcome, and sorry.. Really nice story and wonderful thought.. Sorry it didnt work out exactly as you planned.. But hey , cake is freaking cake.. Trough some icing on that Brooklyn and serve it when the stripper arrives.. No one will notice! :laugh:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ahhhh the rabbit turd donuts .... love them

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 months later...

One perfectly fried egg....

gallery_42210_5882_177009.jpg

The munchkin asked for green eggs and ham for dinner tonight. Since we didnt have ham, she settled for salami, but decreed it must be red instead. Food dye is a blessing and a curse.

Her father and I delayed our dinner for obvious reasons.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The munchkin asked for green eggs and ham for dinner tonight. Since we didnt have ham, she settled for salami, but decreed it must be red instead.  Food dye is a blessing and a curse.

Lovely colors. It is always heart warming to hear of parents willing to go the extra mile for their young-ens.

The munchkin asked for green eggs and ham for dinner tonight. Since we didnt have ham, she settled for salami, but decreed it must be red instead.  Food dye is a blessing and a curse.

Lovely colors. It is always heart warming to hear of parents willing to go the extra mile for their young-ens.

that dish of food has got to glow in the dark! ...I am imagining a blue drink just off camera :smile:

god. did she eat it?  :wacko:

Yes.

that dish of food has got to glow in the dark! ...I am imagining a blue drink just off camera 

Close! It was bright orange (mango juice).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...

This was very good. It even looked ok on the plates. The fried sage leaves looked like leaves.gallery_42210_5882_32857.jpg

Photographed, it looks like I was serving giant planaria or leeches.

After seeing the photo, my husband termed dinner "tortilleechi".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, no, there's no such thing as a bad cook! Just bad recipes!

Let me divert a little traffic to this blog post:

http://thursdaynightsmackdown.com/2008/07/...deen-casserole/

If the last few words of that URL shows up, you'll know what you're in for :smile: The picture of the unbaked casserole before the crispy cheese conceals it is particularly disturbing. I like her description of the meal, too.

Oh my God! Giant planaria!!! Hahahaha!!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.