• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

I say, well done, Sony!

If ever there was a perfect picture for this discussion, that was it.

Be proud. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm sorry, I need to look again...

What happened!?

You all are hilarious- I have tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard!

I suspect that I was whisking so much, I scraped up some of the metal? I've had the skillet for years and it's well-seasoned. (Still is- I just took a look at it.) Unfortunately, I was mindlessly whisking (because of phone call that allowed it to sit) and when I looked down, my sauce was the right texture- just the wrong color. (Of course, it only took 5 minutes for me to do in the texture.)

No cat in the household.....Is that what cat puke looks like?

I was going through an old blog looking for a picture and I ran across this. I can't believe it was ever posted...

gallery_6134_184_1096951987.jpg

it is rice topped with raw tuna in a sesame sauce

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Its not often that I get to post here...not because I don't have messes and mistakes, but because its hard to find a photogenic one. But, I offer to the judges, tonight's dessert: Fried cajeta and ganache with lemon zest served on a chocolate soil. As my spouse and I like to say with dishes like this, "Bon Appeshit"

gallery_41282_4652_12344.jpg

Its not often that I get to post here...not because I don't have messes and mistakes, but because its hard to find a photogenic one.  But, I offer to the judges, tonight's dessert:  Fried cajeta and ganache with lemon zest served on a chocolate soil.  As my spouse and I like to say with dishes like this, "Bon Appeshit"

gallery_41282_4652_12344.jpg

Rob, that is pretty bad. What exactly is the turd like stuff on that half-fork (which in itself is weird)?

This isn't by far one of the worst pictures I have taken but it is far from looking appetizing...

Konnyaku with daikon greens and a miso sauce.

gallery_6134_4148_284810.jpg

If you must know more about konnyaku, check out this Wikipedia entry or the Konnyaku thread in the Japan forum.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I have gotten so many laughs from this thread that I was thrilled when I saw this on my table.

gallery_44218_3482_20566.jpg

Any guesses?

Phatj is probably right but I think it looks like a wee tub of congealed blood and fat.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Rob, that is pretty bad. What exactly is the turd like stuff on that half-fork (which in itself is weird)?

That is a chocolate soil...which by the way was salty. And the half-fork is lovingly called a spork in the US, and this one is my prized bamboo sporks.

so the only guesses are onion confit and congealed blood and fat? Actually, petite tête de chou, you were closer.

It's just the sauce from some chicken adobo I made. I stored the leftover chicken separately from the sauce so it would be easier to de-fat.

My camera batteries were dead...I'm sorry, you're not :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

so the only guesses are onion confit and congealed blood and fat? Actually, petite tête de chou, you were closer.

It's just the sauce from some chicken adobo I made. I stored the leftover chicken separately from the sauce so it would be easier to de-fat.

Well, I was way off, so I'm glad I didn't guess!

(I thought it was chocolate pudding or coffee jelly)

That is a chocolate soil...which by the way was salty. And the half-fork is lovingly called a spork in the US, and this one is my prized bamboo sporks.

Yabbut... What is chocolate soil? It sounds regrettable from the get-go.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Sorry...been baking and missed your question. A soil is basically (in this instance) flour, cocoa, butter, salt and sugar. Bake it, then break it into a crumbly mess. The well plated version without the exploded chocolate tumor actually looked nice. You can see the non-regrettable version HERE.

My biggest failure to date: "Pumpkin Caramel Refridgerator Pie":

6. My Crowning Failure  : An attempt at a no bake pumpkin dessert! This will make an appearance on the "Regrettable Meals" thread for sure. Another embarrassing "Sandra Lee" (Did I say YUCK already?) experiment. It started with a graham crust, drizzled with caramel sauce (bottled), then a mixture of canned pumpkin, vanilla instant pudding, cool whip, pecan bits and spices. (Shoot me now.) Next a layer of cool whip, drizzled artistically with more caramel sauce and pecans. Chill.

OMG! the grossest thing I have ever made! Not only does it look suspiciously like baby poo, it is tooth-ache-ingly sweet. I think I f-ed it up further by accidentally using canned pumpkin pie filling INSTEAD of canned pumpkin. Damn, I KNOW the difference. So double the sweetness, double the spices, a crappy (HA) consistency - total disaster.

Pic:

gallery_51818_5282_290516.jpg

If this isn't baby poo, I don't know what is...

And I can't even say "But it tasted good" because it's now sitting in the bottom of my kitchen trash can. :shock:

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy