• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

Ce'nedra, that realy looks disgusting..........well done! :laugh:

Crouching Tyler, what is the orange liquid in the bottom of the bowl? And that sickly-looking gray ball floating in it to the right?

Today, my visiting neighbor decided, after rumaging through my cabinets the she, for a change would cook me a traditional ozark lunch. I thought..ohhhhhh goody! This is what she put before me..........

gallery_48503_4932_237805.jpg

Frito pie, she proudly anounced! The colors were to say the least, intense. It actualy wasn't bad for the first 2 minutes, until the chips got soggy, then, like a good friend, I choked it all down with a smile. :wacko:

*edited to add that she was very proud that I would take a pic of her dish to post on e-gullet. I just didn't tell her which post it would be in. :wink:

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)
  • Haha 1

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Ce'nedra,  that realy looks disgusting..........well done! :laugh:

Crouching Tyler, what is the orange liquid in the bottom of the bowl?  And that sickly-looking gray ball floating in it to the right?

Today, my visiting neighbor decided, after rumaging through my cabinets the she, for a change would cook me a traditional ozark lunch.  I thought..ohhhhhh goody!  This is what she put before me..........

Frito pie, she proudly anounced!  The colors were to say the least, intense.  It actualy wasn't bad for the first 2 minutes, until the chips got soggy, then, like a good friend, I choked it all down with a smile. :wacko:

*edited to add that she was very proud that I would take a pic of her dish to post on e-gullet.  I just didn't tell her which post it would be in. :wink:

Nonblonde taking one for the team. What a foodie trooper you are! Actually, I bet it tastes better than it looks.

Thanks for sharing.

Please tell me that is squeeze cheeze not yellow mustard :shock:

tracey

Mmmm mountain folk

oops I might be one

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tracy .........................that is mustard...................(where is the little green smiley when you need it)

Maggie................I am sure it tasted good, but.....................

just call me the official "foodie trooper"

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Crouching Tyler, what is the orange liquid in the bottom of the bowl?  And that sickly-looking gray ball floating in it to the right?

The liquid is tumeric-laced coconut milk/water - and that grey orb must be one of the inside bits of one of the green beans (Romano Beans). The Green Beans in Coconut Milk recipe is from Cradle of Flavor - note that the dish tasted good, I just didn't present or photograph it well, at all. Slightly better pictures available at the Cooking From Cradle of Flavor thread.

I hope that my dh doesn't see that picture of Frito Pie. Every once in a while, in a fit of nostalgia he makes "Suzy Salad" - which involves fritos, ground beef, iceberg lettuce, velveta and rotelle. Actually, it sort of tastes good - in a salty crunchy sort of way. And I bet I can get a really grusome photo of it. It is too wrong if I end up being inspired by this thread. :laugh:

Robin Tyler McWaters

I cooked dinner for a vegetarian couple tonight. They wanted food that would fit with watching the Chicago Bear's game on TV. Here's the menu:

"Cheers"

Mimosa

skewered orange/scallion/saffron/oregano

"Bites"

Nachos

onion/cilantro/chile seed/queso fresco

"Eats"

Chile Relleno

corn/tomato/cremini risotto stuffing

"Sweets"

Grilled Banana

blueberry/fennel/apple/celery/lavender/sea salt

The meal turned out really great.

And then I served the dessert. It was awful. The grilled banana was delicious. It was great with the apple. The blueberry cut the richness of the banana. The lavender and sea salt created interesting nuances. I drizzled Door County, Wisconsin honey around the plate and it was delicious, too. But...

The fennel and celery ruined the dish. It was gross. A flavor and textural nightmare.

eGullet Ethics Signatory

Today, my visiting neighbor decided, after rumaging through my cabinets the she, for a change would cook me a traditional ozark lunch.  I thought..ohhhhhh goody!  This is what she put before me..........

Frito pie, she proudly anounced!  The colors were to say the least, intense.  It actualy wasn't bad for the first 2 minutes, until the chips got soggy, then, like a good friend, I choked it all down with a smile. :wacko:

*edited to add that she was very proud that I would take a pic of her dish to post on e-gullet.  I just didn't tell her which post it would be in. :wink:

Thank you! Hahha!

And umm...let's just hope your friend never finds this post :raz:

(It really doesn't look bad at all though lol)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Yesterday morning, I placed a large and lovely pot roast in the oven with some wonderful beef stock (browning it carefully first). Turned the oven to 190 F and left for work, expecting to come home some 10 hours later to dinner, all ready to go. I knew something was wrong when I opened the door and the house was full of smoke. :shock:

Unbeknownst to me, the cleaning service arrived about an hour after I left and somehow reset my oven to 375 F, convection roast. So after approximately 9 hours at 375 F, the poor thing was cooked to beyond recognition (and probably less than 1/2 of its original size).

gallery_51874_5165_19620.jpg

Oddly, there was still just a smidgeon of moisture left in the very middle, which I attribute to the Staub pot. DH said it tasted like beef jerky:

gallery_51874_5165_53422.jpg

The amazing thing is that after soaking overnight, the pot is as good as new. :laugh:

I really like chili frito pie  :unsure:

Yeah, I was thinking it didn't seem all that bad in a dorm-munchie kind of way until she said the bright yellow stuff that I assumed was some form of processed cheese was actually mustard. Not that I don't like mustard, probably my favorite of the usual fridge condiments other than maybe hot sauce, but it really doesn't sound good on frito pie.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oddly, there was still just a smidgeon of moisture left in the very middle, which I attribute to the Staub pot.  DH said it tasted like beef jerky:

gallery_51874_5165_53422.jpg

The amazing thing is that after soaking overnight, the pot is as good as new.  :laugh:

That is...truly disgusting...I had to scroll down quickly past it because it gives me the shivers but I came to the shocking conclusion that I couldn't scroll down much further...CONGRATS! :laugh:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I've been thinking about what Kristin said about how a colorful plate is supposed to be a good thing and this post by Prawncrackers which was then deemed to appetizing by some posters to be on this thread. Actually food that looks like Robin's beans up there is standard fare here, so I'm trying to dissect what it is about the picture that freaks me out.

Speaking of which, phatj-- I don't know what's creepier about the meat-- the pale color of the sides or the horrible disease the animal (? I can't even identify it) was suffering with at the time of its slaughtering... :laugh:

Anyway, I ended up getting the last 4 posts and trying to fix whatever I thought was wrong with them in Photoshop. It turns out I can only kind of fix Maggie's picture a little bit.

gallery_53129_4592_8338.jpg

I took out all the dark, shadowy parts, as well as the sheen of the chicken. I made the peas and the rice yellower and the chicken browner, and the apples (?) redder. I think the original "pose" of the chicken was like-- pardon for the image-- some gynecologist's nightmare. But Kristin made me think-- hey, this actually does look like real, palatable food! Why am I so creeped out? (In my opinion, it even looks like the photographs that graced the cookbooks of yesteryear-- the 60's and 70's, not that I was alive at the time, ha ha!) So I just tried to change the elements that seemed off, without removing a single component of the dish. Does it look a lot better now?

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I've been thinking about what Kristin said about how a colorful plate is supposed to be a good thing and this post by Prawncrackers which was then deemed to appetizing by some posters to be on this thread. Actually food that looks like Robin's beans up there is standard fare here, so I'm trying to dissect what it is about the picture that freaks me out.

Speaking of which, phatj-- I don't know what's creepier about the meat-- the pale color of the sides or the horrible disease the animal (? I can't even identify it) was suffering with at the time of its slaughtering... :laugh:

Anyway, I ended up getting the last 4 posts and trying to fix whatever I thought was wrong with them in Photoshop. It turns out I can only kind of fix Maggie's picture a little bit.

gallery_53129_4592_8338.jpg

I took out all the dark, shadowy parts, as well as the sheen of the chicken. I made the peas and the rice yellower and the chicken browner, and the apples (?) redder. I think the original "pose" of the chicken was like-- pardon for the image-- some gynecologist's nightmare. But Kristin made me think-- hey, this actually does look like real, palatable food! Why am I so creeped out? (In my opinion, it even looks like the photographs that graced the cookbooks of yesteryear-- the 60's and 70's, not that I was alive at the time, ha ha!) So I just tried to change the elements that seemed off, without removing a single component of the dish. Does it look a lot better now?

Well, yes, it does look better. The thing is, I was presenting the dish as it actually looked, without digital enhancement. This isn't a food photography thread, it's an "Oh my God. This food looks ghastly !" thread.

But: I truly appreciate the time and effort you spent toning the whole mess down. "Gynecologist's nightmare." Perfect. I'm getting a David Cronenberg vibe.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yeah, sorry to confuse people. I know this isn't a photography thread, my intent was just to figure out for myself what the line is between a picture here and a picture on the actual Dinner! thread. The line could maybe be crossed by extra turmeric, extra time on the pan, and sunlight? :laugh: I couldn't help myself; your dish is something I think probably tasted good; I wanted to do it justice.

kbjesq: I didn't even try to alter that... :smile: It has sort of a cadaverous appeal.. (I think it's safe to say that as you probably didn't attempt a taste. Damn meddlers of your oven!)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Now ya see I would just take that poor roast and shread it into a pot of tomato sauce and cook up some spaghetti

or

chop it up fine and make some brown gravy and serve over biscuts or potatoes

:biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Now ya see I would just take that poor roast and shread it into a pot of tomato sauce and cook up some spaghetti

or

chop it up fine and make some brown gravy and serve over biscuts or potatoes

:biggrin:

tracey

I think like you do. I would make brunswick stew out of that. Nothing wrong that some spicy tomato base and vege could not cure.

gallery_27774_4921_622801.jpg

gallery_27774_4921_96485.jpg

Well...it's a red cooked pork shoulder. Not that it's red... It was tasty, if a little overcooked, and the bone and trimmings combined with some chicken carcasses made an amazing broth later...but man, this looks terrible.

Bagel?