• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

Most of the what-the-hecks about this meal can be traced back to the fact that I'm moving in 3 days and so my cupboard is very nearly bare (which is good, as far as I'm concerned--the less I have to throw out, the better). There is tomato in there, its just that the tomato:meat:pasta ratio is rather low. Tasted pretty decent though. And I made a garlic half-a-roll! :laugh:

Excuse the webcam photo, my camera is...packed :raz:

gallery_54928_4824_6676.jpg

Kate

I am sorry Eskay, it's just too edible to be allowed a place of honor in this thread. Nice try tho. :wink:

Dockhl, thanks to you, I stayed up way too late last night re-reading all 25 pages of this thread, Laughing my *** (behind) off!! The guys kept poking they're heads in the door to see that I was all right, not that I could answer them, with the tears streaming down my face and practicly rolling on the floor, choking with the giggles that got stuck in line waitning they're turn. This morning, my tummy still aches. Thank you for the reminder that life is truly delicious.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

:blink: I actually ate some of this.....................

gallery_48503_5003_279363.jpg

None of them escaped off the plate, but I swear they were trying!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Very Large unruly snails, with bacon and shitake's. Tasted better than it looked, by Far! O.k., so maybe not "by far".

Brenda

gallery_7620_135_32374.jpg

One of the advantages of the AGA cooker is that the ovens are vented to the outside flue, which means no cooking smells in the kitchen. It also means you don't smell things burning,

This is what happens to a green bean casserole (fresh garden beans, chopped bacon and onion, chicken stock) if left in too hot an oven overnight...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

gallery_7620_135_32374.jpg

One of the advantages of the AGA cooker is that the ovens are vented to the outside flue, which means no cooking smells in the kitchen. It also means you don't smell things burning,

This is what happens to a green bean casserole (fresh garden beans, chopped bacon and onion, chicken stock) if left in too hot an oven overnight...

Bravo, bravo! Things are really looking up on this thread :raz: .

I love this thread. I've got to say, that last picture just makes me want to go home right now and BURN something. Maybe it's the flash, but that shiny blackness is oddly appealing.

OTH, I'm really glad that I don't have to clean that pan. :biggrin:

Jackal10, Congrats! That looks even less appetising than the snails.........or maybe what the snails left behind? Yuck!

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like a red velvet cake - or maybe raw meat with mayonnaise.

We have a winner.

It was supposed to be red velvet cake, but it quickly became known as the "meat cake".

Mara tried to surprise me for my first birthday in Amsterdam with a homemade red velvet cake, but we'd just moved here and didn't have anything in our apartment (no round cake pans) and couldn't find red food coloring anywhere. The internets told her that she could use beets or beet juice to achieve the desired redness.

They neglected to mention that the beet juice would alter the texture of the cake in the direction of, say...a Jello/raw beef tenderloin hybrid, featuring a shiny and reflective surface and waxy interior not unlike a adzuki bean jelly. Which is fine...unless you're expecting red velvet cake.

The only upside here was that we didn't actually bring this cake out in public and cut it in front of our new Dutch friends...thankfully we made the initial incision at home and then just shrieked in terror as it sat there exposed and oozing. It was hideous.

The icing, on the other hand, was fan-fkn-tastic.

+++

ETA: The details keep coming to us...we just remembered the incredible heaviness of this cake...lethally dense. Completely non-cake-like. Meaty. Utterly nightmarish.

Edited by markemorse (log)

:laugh:

Did you at least try and pass it off?

"Eat it! It's caramelised!"

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Not quite dinner but this definately was regrettable! I'll quote it since I just posted it in the other thread.

Oh and just so everyone can have a good laugh at me -check out my failed green tea creme brulees  :laugh::sad:

gallery_56306_5160_964.jpg

gallery_56306_5160_8417.jpg

Silly me and my sister made these in muffin paper cups for some diddlydoo-dumb reason...and you know how you're supposed to half-fill the baking dish or whatever with water? Well my sister thought you had to add water to the actual CREME BRULEE!! Sad to say, our creme brulees weren't quite creme brulee considering they never seemed to solidify :hmmm:

Oh and we don't even have a flaming torch to make the crisp sugary topping NOR does our grill work! 'Tis was a gloomy day  :sad:

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/