• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Last night I made a simple seared tuna with a fennel and arugula salad with a clementine and lemon vinaigrette <br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372450143.244174.jpg<br /><br />Today after boning out a couple of chicken I was left with some nice livers. Sautéed with onions in butter and finished with port<br /><br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372450240.042591.jpg

• Like 3

rotuts – well, I’ve thanked you in the breakfast thread and now here! No offense taken WHATSOEVER, I promise! In fact, I’m flattered. I love all things vintage and my family knows that I’m the one to dump all their old stuff on. I’m the only one who is willing to hand wash depression glass, to polish silver and to find a home for worn china! But the funny thing is – the bowls that you mentioned were purchased at Crate and Barrel this January! Also that deconstructed turkey dish – looks delicious and cool and refreshing.

Elise – those yummy little lamb-sicles look fantastic!

Ann – thank you for the complement. I am overwhelmingly honored that you think we cook alike. And I’m going to add some nicely fried onions to Mr. Kim’s peas next time that I make them for him – he would LOVE that. I also really like the look of your Italian sausage sauce. It seems like the sausage really takes the stage in that dish. I think that I tend to make my sauce too thick and, well, SAUCY and I lose the sausage a bit. Just chopped tomatoes in your sauce? No pureed?

Prawn – nice to ‘see’ you!!! That is one gorgeous fish – what a crust. And I’ve been craving summer rolls since our favorite Vietnamese restaurant closed.

Well, I’ve been helping my mom to recover from carpal tunnel surgery and recovering myself from a weeklong bout of bronchitis, so not much cooking from me. I did make this the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_146423.jpg

Chicken enchilada bake, fried green tomatoes and Southern green beans. Dessert was another silly, but good cake mix/canned frosting thing – white cake, lime curd filling and pink lemonade frosting:

med_gallery_3331_119_92836.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_168912.jpg

The frosting was surprisingly delicately flavored. We liked this a lot, it turned out.

:blush:

• Like 1

I was so hungry I didn't pay attention to taking great photos. Fresh Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, grilled and then served with a cannelini bean, dry-cured olive and radish salad. Delicious.

002.JPG

009.JPG

019.JPG

• Like 2

KS: have you seen the TestKitchens various 'Old Time' Rx's? they are in most libraries. I grew up looking at my mothers Betty Crocker loose leaf cookbook, a la 1950 ed.

i still have it and love looking at it. TK copied their loose leaf format and they have a lot of Old Time Cakes and Thinks in those books:

Your Grandma's Lost Recipes etc.

the Pink Cake reminded me of BC.

Edited by rotuts (log)

David, that is one beautiful piece of salmon. I was planning on picking up fresh halibut on the way home from work today, but now I might have to rethink that choice.

Thanks. I usually wait for the hype of the Copper River Salmon to wane and then I go in on the fresh Alaska Sockeye. It's just as good as the Copper River salmon, it just swims in a different river this time of year.

I have always been impressed by this thread but the past few weeks of posts have been incredible. Thanks to all for the inspiration. :)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Lovely meals all!

Time for me to play catch up.

EnchiladasCarnitas-01.jpg

Pork Enchiladas and Black Beans

Grilled%2520Shrimp%2520Salad-01.jpg

Grilled Shrimp Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing

image.jpg

Ground Beef Enchiladas and Black Beans

image.jpg

Grilled Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce and Remoulade

image.jpg

Grilled Hamburger and Onions with Romaine, Tomatoes and Mayo

image.jpg

Grilled Shrimp with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce

image.jpg

Grilled Chicken Thighs and Steamed Asparagus

image.jpg

Barbeque Baby Back Ribs and Buttered Yellow Corn

image.jpg

Sauteed Chicken Breast and Tender Crisp Vegetables

image.jpg

Panko Crusted Chicken Breast on Caesar Salad

image.jpg

Ground Beef Soft Taco

image.jpg

Pork Tenderloin, Onion and Mushroom Kabobs

image.jpg

Grilled Garlic Sausage and Sauteed Onions and Mushrooms

image.jpg

Meat Sauce and Spaghetti

image.jpg

Asiago Crusted Chicken Breast, Steamed Asparagus and Creamy Asiago Garlic Sauce

image.jpg

Sauteed Shrimp and Duck Fat Fried Red Potato Wedge Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing

Bought a beautiful native lobster yesterday, they're relatively cheap at the moment. A female one laden with eggs - 'berried'. I parboiled it first before splitting it and removing the uncooked roe and tomalley. The lobster was cooked into a Thai red curry sauce, the meat was cut into chunks and put back into the shell. The sauce was finished with the roe/tomalley and poured over the lobster. Served it with a green mango salad and cocnut rice. First time cooking it this way, won't be the last, it was delicious.

20130629a.JPG

20130629b.JPG

20130629f.JPG

• Like 2

Ann_T – That bread! I hope you liked the bean sprout pork

Prawn – Can’t decide between the lobster curry or prawn curry. Both, maybe?

Robirdstx – I could eat quite happily at your house

Kim – (belated) thanks for the kind words. Your baked beans (couple of pages back) look fantastic, and I am intrigued by fried pickles

Hearts of palm soup (crema de palmitos) with lots of scallions, garlic, and chicken stock simmered with white onion, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns.

p1755120854-4.jpg

Pescado al mojo de ajo, made with halibut, lemon juice, and thinly sliced garlic slowly browned in butter. I was hoping for leftovers, but boys polished everything off. Mrs. C made salad

p1690443165-4.jpg

• Like 1

rotuts – a friend recently gave me a 1956 Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook which I just love. And my stepmom sent me a bunch of really old cookbook pamphlets from different appliance companies and The Dairy Board – really wonderful.

robirdstx – love ALL of your meals, but for some reason that hamburger is drawing me in!

Bruce – you really should try the fried pickles the next time that you do BBQ – they are amazingly easy to do and go incredibly well with the pork. That Pescado al mojo de ajo is just delicious looking.

Ann - that Greek dinner is one of our favorite meals in the world!

A recent dinner - pot roast:
med_gallery_3331_114_24264.jpg

Called “Wonderful Pot Roast” at the Campbell’s site, I’ve heard people rave about this recipe for years. People who I trust as cooks. When I recently found a good deal on a small chuck roast, and wanted to do it in a slow cooker for a busy day, I decided to give it a try. The recipe calls for placing the vegetables in the bottom of a slow cooker, topping with the browned roast, mixing the soups and water and pouring that over everything and cooking on low for 10 hours. Easy, no real prep. I decided to caramelize my onions. Then went ahead and caramelized the celery and carrots. And added some minced garlic. I omitted one can of water, thinking it would make it way too watery. And a little red wine couldn’t hurt, right? I switched out the tarragon (NOT with beef, thanks) for Penzey’s salt-free Mural of Flavor. When it was finished cooking I decided to thicken the gravy with a roux. Halfway through all of this I realized that I STILL hadn’t really tried the recipe. I had only used it as a base for the resulting combination of ideas. Sigh. But my version was pretty good :laugh: . Served with Michael Ruhlman’s yeast rolls:
med_gallery_3331_114_16029.jpg

Plated with gravy and green beans:
med_gallery_3331_114_26765.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)