• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Keith – your pork buns are gorgeous and causing a serious craving here.

dcarch – beautiful, beautiful hen and wild rice!

Ranz – lovely soup and gorgeous photography! I love how the soup mimics the polka dots on the plate!

Franci – oh, my! That pizza is divine looking.

Ann T – and so, my dear, is yours!

A couple of nights ago we had breakfast for dinner – Benton’s country ham:

med_gallery_3331_114_134230.jpg

Mr. Kim’s plate:

med_gallery_3331_114_101029.jpg

Mine:

med_gallery_3331_114_2982.jpg

Yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_114_93552.jpg

BBQ left over from our niece’s graduation party. Mr. Kim’s sister did it in the slow cooker. I quite enjoyed it, but Mr. Kim has become a BBQ snob :raz: ! With Mrs. Fearnow’s Brunswick stew:

med_gallery_3331_114_144080.jpg

Dinner tonight was a clean out the fridge night. We are having two sets of house guests starting Monday and going through next Saturday. We started with all the bits and pieces of cheese that were left:

med_gallery_3331_114_81083.jpg

And, of course, salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_79977.jpg

Finished up some shrimp that I had made yesterday for after yoga (we stopped for 5 Guys instead :blush: ):

med_gallery_3331_114_2942.jpg

• Like 1

I am enjoying all of the fantastic meals as usual.

Keith – Um, nice buns :laugh:

Dejah – I can almost taste the cumin beef

dcarch – Beautiful color on your Cornish hen

Kim – Nice clean-out-the-fridge meal. I need to try Brunswick stew.

pastameshugana – Thanks!

Pork fried rice: Center-cut pork chops marinated with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and rice wine, stir-fried to sear and removed. Basmati rice stir-fried with spinach, basil, green beans, garlic, ginger, scallions, roasted chile jam, fish sauce, and two eggs, with the pork added back towards the end. Served with lime, cucumber, and tomato.

p1856527495-4.jpg

Cured salmon with potatoes, dill, other thingstCt5F38l.jpg

Would you tell me what other things? Apparently the potato is puréed. Little garnish of shallot (?) & dill. And is the white a soft cheese w/dill? Kind of bread?

I'm having a dinner party in couple of weeks & this looks/sounds like a perfect app, instead of the same old tartare I'd been hoping to replace with something more festive. Or this might even make a great amuse!

Thanks for anything you're willing to share.

Sure. I actually found out this morning that fish was just regular wild Alaskan King, though I had thought it was sockeye from the color, that is just the result of the curing process. Cut the salmon into fillets and cure for 8-10 hours in a mixture of 100g coarse sea salt and 80g caster sugar. Rinse, dry, then marinate in olive oil for at least 4 hours. The salmon is sitting on potatoes which are sliced 3mm thick, then cut out with a 3cm round, blanched in salted, boiling water, drained, and marinated in olive oil seasoned with thyme, bay leaf, a crushed clove of garlic and salt. On top are carrots, sliced on the bias, blanched, not refreshed and added to the marinade with the potatoes. Then sliced spring onions (but you can use shallots) blanched, shocked in ice, drained, then also added to the potato marinade. You can do all of this the morning of or night before. On the side of the plate is whipped cream seasoned with dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Be generous with the dill, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors infuse the cream. Serve with toasted country bread.

Thank you...I'm going to do this!

recently:

8931886062_957f3bfe69_z.jpg

Pasta e ceci

8992393955_149fd2721c_z.jpg

Masoor dal over rice, with lime pickle

tonight:

8993589426_ccd66515ef_z.jpg

Scrambled egg-buttermilk biscuit sandwich

:rolleyes:

8993589008_0ef83c182e_z.jpg

Baby mesclun salad, with smoked shoulder bacon, edible flowers and Japanese turnips

The turnips were simmered in lightly salted water, then sautéed with the bacon, unsalted butter and a little Marsala wine.

Dressing -- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons Belgian beer, 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

8993588484_1d8c08cf37_z.jpg

8992398477_1fc5485103_z.jpg

8992397763_1a55da6dac_z.jpg

8992397159_f4c6e8f663_z.jpg

Pasta with heirloom tomato and clam sauce

Not every Italian dish has to have garlic in it.

Clams -- clams steamed with shallots, celery leaves, lemon zest and Belgian beer. Steam for 7-8 minutes or until clams have opened. Discard any clams that don't open; let cool. Shell clams and set aside. Strain the liquid and reserve.

Sauce -- make a battuto (chopped celery, carrot and onion, very finely), then cook slowly in unsalted butter and olive oil over low heat until softened, about 15-20 minutes. Don't add salt, and don't let the battuto brown. When the vegetables have become softened, add chopped heirloom tomatoes, oregano and Italian parsley. Taste for salt and pepper. Let that cook down or until the sauce thickens nicely. Add the clams and reserved clam steaming liquid. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Prep the pasta; cook until al dente, then drain. Add the pasta to the pan and heat through. Taste once more for salt and pepper, stir in minced Italian parsley, then serve immediately. Cheese optional.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Few recent plates, most everything was already in the fridge or freezer. also made the cutest little bow tie pasta, farfalle for today. Going to serve that with butter and sage from the garden. I have large amount of sage in three areas of the garden.

Yesterday made a pasta using whole wheat and double zero

8992867682_8759152142_z.jpg

Cooked up some guanciale with wine and cabbage.. removed the guanciale and then added some boiled smoked ham hock as the real meat.

8992821928_0525cf655b_z.jpg

Started with a salad of smoked trout and poached egg.. rye toast.. All lettuces from the garden.

8992795968_d0c56f6282_z.jpg

8991636129_23c28d50d6_z.jpg

This was a tomato based soup cooked with the bone from the hamhock, i added farro, chickpeas and a lot of broccoli rabe from the farmers market. Really beautiful soup. served with garlic bread, topped with parm.

8991627743_b4fdb275f7_z.jpg

Strawberry rhubarb pie. all from the farmers market. pie crust homemade.

8991627421_d7c492d130_z.jpg

Roasted cornish game hen. This is with one side cooked prior to blasting in the oven. Roasted with jalapenos.

8991624919_066f046b97_z.jpg

Brined for a day, sitting in garlic oil for another day.

8991584923_3c071d4ef8_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Nickrey, I haven't had venison in a while. That looks delicious.

Basquecook, lovely meals. Beautifully plated salad.

Focaccia%20June%207th%2C%202013%201-L.jp

Made a focaccia using the other half of pizza dough. Baked in a vintage Griswold cast iron skillet.

Lettuce%20Cups%20June%208th%2C%202013-L.

Dinner last night - Lettuce Cups.

Edited by Ann_T (log)

recently:...

...Pasta with heirloom tomato and clam sauce

This looks & sounds divine. Glad I read this before heading out to the fishmonger's...Clams weren't on my list, but they are now!

Had a craving for Pizza, thanks to Franci.

Pizza%20June%206th,%202013%201-M.jpg

Sausage and Mushroom.

Pizza%20June%206th,%202013%202-M.jpg

I made the dough about mid morning. Normally when I make pizza I make the crust with dough that has been given a long fermentation.

I mixed the flour, water (77% Hydration) and yeast in a Magic Mill and left it for about 25 or 30 minutes for the dough to absorb more of the water. Then I added the salt and let the machine knead until it came together enough that it could be tipped on to a floured board and handled just enough to shape into something resembling a ball, and then placed in a oiled container. After the first rise, it was knocked down and shaped again. Covered and refrigerated. until around 4:00. Took it out and left it on the counter to come to room temperature.

Pizza%20June%206th,%202013%205-M.jpg

This looks so good I'm salivating! Your dough's not having fermented so long as usual doesn't appear to have hurt it in any way. How hot is your oven? And do you use a stone or pan?

I was intrigued by your "Magic Mill" & looked it up. Looks like one of our high end Kitchen Aids, only better!

Had a craving for Pizza, thanks to Franci.

Sausage and Mushroom.

I made the dough about mid morning. Normally when I make pizza I make the crust with dough that has been given a long fermentation.

I mixed the flour, water (77% Hydration) and yeast in a Magic Mill and left it for about 25 or 30 minutes for the dough to absorb more of the water. Then I added the salt and let the machine knead until it came together enough that it could be tipped on to a floured board and handled just enough to shape into something resembling a ball, and then placed in a oiled container. After the first rise, it was knocked down and shaped again. Covered and refrigerated. until around 4:00. Took it out and left it on the counter to come to room temperature.

Pizza%20June%206th,%202013%205-M.jpg

This looks so good I'm salivating! Your dough's not having fermented so long as usual doesn't appear to have hurt it in any way. How hot is your oven? And do you use a stone or pan?

I was intrigued by your "Magic Mill" & looked it up. Looks like one of our high end Kitchen Aids, only better!

Furzzy, I bake bread and pizza on a stone and the oven for the pizza was preheated to 550°F. I've had the Magic Mill for about 18 years now. It is a work horse. Will handle over 20 cups of flour at a time.

Furzzy, I bake bread and pizza on a stone and the oven for the pizza was preheated to 550°F. I've had the Magic Mill for about 18 years now. It is a work horse. Will handle over 20 cups of flour at a time.

Thanks! I had. Feeling you had baked at high heat on a stone. My oven will heat to just over 600 F & I'm going to try that.

If I hadn't bought a new Kitchen Aid Pro 600 just last summer, I'd be looking into "investing " in a Magic Mill.

Scubadoo – Your grilled meat and Brussels sprouts look fantastic

Ann_T – I love lettuce cups. Is that larb in yours?

Still trying to master the Big Green Egg – mostly just trying to get the darn thing lit in a reasonable period of time. No complaints once it gets going, though.

Baby back ribs – Rubbed with paprika, black pepper, dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, and celery seed. Mopped with apple cider, bourbon, soy sauce, and butter. Sauced with lemon brown sugar barbecue sauce.

Mustardy potato salad – Dijon and grainy mustard, olive oil, sherry vinegar, black pepper, and fresh basil.

Slow-cooked green beans – with onion, tomato, olive oil, black pepper, and lemon juice.

p1855001236-4.jpg

DSCN1286.jpg

Found this rather hefty lamb loin in the bargain bin. Sous v'ed for about 2 1/2 hours at 62C - then a quick browning on the Big Green Egg. Remarkably tender.

Bruce – you definitely need to try Brunswick stew. It is a classic and for good reason. Pork fried rice is probably my favorite variation. The ribs are beautiful and I love those tender long cooked beans!

Scubadoo – that grilled meat is absolutely gorgeous! Perfectly cooked.

Soba – your biscuit is perfect. It looks lighter and more tender than I ever achieve and I’ve been making biscuits for 30+ years. Bravo!

Ann – I thought that your foccacia was the best thing I’d seen all day until I saw those lettuce wraps! Fantastic.

I got more of those really good, on-sale steaks at Kroger this week. Mr. Kim’s dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_52982.jpg

T-bone with Rice-a-Roni ( :blush: guilty pleasure), green beans and slaw. I had a rib-eye:

med_gallery_3331_114_82073.jpg

This was MUCH larger than the last one, so Mr. Kim will have steak and eggs for breakfast tomorrow!

• Like 1

Furzzy, I wish my oven would go over 600°F.

MM84321, pretty, pretty tart.

Bruce, Looks like you have it mastered. Those ribs look perfect. Love slow cooked green beans.

Thanks Kim. Another great looking steak. You sure feed Mr. Kim well.

JValentino, Wow, look at the colour on those ribs.

Halibut%20Fish%20and%20Chips%20June%209t

Tonight's Dinner - Homemade Halibut Fish and Chips with a few battered local spot prawns. (And I battered a few fries too).