• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Prawncrackers, I've been spending some time thinking of a way to describe my admiration for that meal and preparation, and still am left with little but 'I want some'.

Here in Dallas the local lobster supply is slim, but I've got a glut of tomatoes from the garden (not complaining), which means it's BLT season. I may be sick of them by the time August rolls around (but I doubt it) ...

BLT.jpg

• Like 2

Kim, your pot roast looks delicious.

Baselerd, that first photo is breath taking. Fabulous!!!

Robirdstx, Yum. I need to make something Mexican this week.

Rico, I'm jealous. Nothing I love better than tomatoes when they are in season. It will probably be another 6 or 8 weeks before my tomatoes ripen.

Rack%20of%20Lamb%20July%202nd%2C%202013-

Local Free Range Lamb from the Cowichan Valley - Grilled Rack

Rack%20of%20Lamb%20July%202nd%2C%202013%

Potato gratin and grilled vegetables.

Rico – no good tomatoes here in central VA yet, but the first thing I want is a BLT just like yours!

Ann – the lamb looks perfectly cooked and potato gratin is my favorite side dish with lamb.

liuzhou – gorgeous fried rice and clams. How I’d love to dig into that for dinner tonight.

Dinner last night started with, what else, a salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_7363.jpg

I also made Tamale Pie. Possibly the trashiest thing in my repertoire:

med_gallery_3331_114_95637.jpg

Canned beef tamales, cheese and canned chili. I used to make this a lot when we were first married and broke and haven’t made it in forever. I just got a taste for it the other day. I’m ashamed to say that I still love this stuff.

med_gallery_3331_114_77361.jpg

:blush:

Pescado al mojo de ajo, made with halibut, lemon juice, and thinly sliced garlic slowly browned in butter. I was hoping for leftovers, but boys polished everything off. Mrs. C made salad

Can you share your recipe for the pescado al mojo de ajo? It looks terrific.

Thanks! Recipe is from Aida Gabilondo's Mexican Family Cooking, an old paperback cookbook that I got years ago for the flan especial recipe. Recipe link below, swapping butter for margarine. I suggest using just enough butter to fry the garlic.

http://www.gretchencooks.com/recipes/155_Filetes_de_Pescado_al_Mojo_de_Ajo_Fish_fillets_in_Garlic_Sauce

I’m ashamed to say that I still love this stuff.

:blush:

Don't be ashamed! We've all got some 'trashy' faves that we'll rarely admit to loving. Good on ya!

Agreed! Heat up a can of Wolf brand and throw a few spoonfuls in a bag of Fritos and I'm in hog heaven - No shame here. High cholesterol, maybe, but no shame.

So a friend bought me a little propane smoker by camp chef, which I'm really starting to love.

This was my first experiment, tri-tip with mesquite. Tasted amazing. Had it sliced for dinner, chopped up with eggs for brekkie, and on sandwiches for lunch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372873637.430181.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372873762.724334.jpg

After several other meals, I'm in the middle of smoking 26lbs of boston butt for my 9yo daughters birthday party tomorrow. We're going to make pulled pork sandwiches. This is with apple and hickory wood chips.

Shoulders were rubbed with cavenders Greek seasoning and spicy brown mustard 24 hours ahead of time:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372873831.591233.jpg

And a couple of lbs of chicken thighs for the non pork eaters:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372873883.601992.jpg

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

KS what brand canned tamales do you use? canned chili? Im thinking I might make some of this up. I bet its like Old Time Junior High cafeteria lunch/

of course, if privacy is a concern you can PM me:

remember I have chefBoyArDee raviolis from time to time. Im currently out of stock.

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Plantes Vertes - the stew sounds like something I will do when the eggplants (aubergines) overflow the markets in a bit. How did you cook the greens? We call that Rainbow Swiss Chard here in the U.S.

The greens I wilted and then pressed in a sieve to drain. Then I mixed them with some onion sauteed in olive oil, added a good squeeze of lemon juice and grated some nutmeg in. I don't know if it's a traditional recipe but I got this preparation from a Lebanese restaurant and find it very delicious. And thanks for naming my leaves for me :biggrin:

Grilled beef salad – Strip steaks grilled over charcoal, sliced, and tossed with cucumbers, tomatoes, shallots, red and green chiles, and a sauce of lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, scallions, and a little sugar.

Stir-fried squash – Kabochka squash, sliced pork, garlic, sugar, fish sauce, and eggs. Jasmine rice

p1623799457-4.jpg

• Like 1

mm84321 would it be possible if all your posts from now on include pictures of how you assembled the dish? Everything you make is incomparably neat and pretty. I would love to see how it all comes together.

Syzgies - a Komodo kamado? Only the best Kamado in the world :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Scubadoo – Thanks!

mm84321 – That is purely gorgeous. I don’t think I can weave that well with fabric, much less with food.

Grilled chicken with chiles – Marinated with cayenne, cumin, garlic, black pepper, cider vinegar, and lime juice, and then grilled over charcoal.

Fried potatoes with red chile sauce and onions – New potatoes, boiled, sliced, and fried with white onion, cumin, black pepper, and blended red chile sauce (toasted and soaked ancho and guajillo chiles, roasted garlic, and Mexican oregano). Feta cheese.

Jicama, cucumber, and pineapple salad – With jalapeno chile, lime juice, and a little ancho chile powder. Feta cheese as desired.

p1699976107-4.jpg

Sapidus – Very nice food pairing with the grilled chicken.

Syzygies – beautiful bark on the ribs.

Mm84321 – you keep raising the bar!

Plantes Vertes – I would love to have a bowl of that aubergines stew.

pastameshugana – I don’t believe that is your first smoke. No way!

Kim – the Tamale Pie looks tasty-est, you misspelled “trashiest”. J

Liuzhou – A seafood lover’s dream fried rice.

Ann_t – irresistible lamb beautifully plated.

Rico – BLT, L as in Lobster, very nice.

robirdstx - Chicken Fajitas very well presented

Baselerd – great plating.

----------------------------- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Come on what’s wrong with you people, don’t you know it’s soft-shell crabs season? :-)

dcarch

Sautee soft shell crabs on wild rice risotto

softshellcrabsC.jpg

softshellcrabsC2.jpg

Deep Fried soft shell crabs

softshellcrabsa.jpg

softshellcrabsa2.jpg

Also, Conch on home made spaetzle

scungillispaetzle3.jpg

Scungillispaetzle2b.jpg

Thank goodness the holiday is over and we can get back to normal food. Sweet potato fries and scotch eggs inspired by a recent road trip .

P1010773(1).JPG

and hangar steak with cajun potato salad topped with homemade tasso P1010780(1).JPG

• Like 1