• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Basquecook, Your porchetta.....WOW!! I love the oven shot.

Morkai, You can just see that your crab cakes are loaded with crab. Beautifully plated.

Nickrey, Now I have a craving for duck.

Ashen, great looking pizzas. Perfect crust.

Thanks Bruce.

Franci, I want everything you cook.

Jay, succulent looking beef ribs.

Reverse%20Shepherds%20Pie%20July%2013th%Reversed Shepherd's Pie. Potatoes on the bottom, topped with cooked meat, pipped potatoes, baked for 20 minutes to brown potatoes

Reversed%20Shepherds%20Pie%20July%2013th

and served with buttered peas.

Italian%20Sausage%20and%20Peppers%20July

Grilled Italian Sausage with roasted peppers, minced garlic, drizzled with olive oil and shaved parmesan. Toasted baguette.

• Like 1

Yeah, Scottyboy, welcome back, I love your food.

Wow. kids or not it looks fantastic to me!

Ive never though of tomato/fish: would you share the Rx?

fantastic fish always comes from your kitchen!

Thank you, Rotuts! I normally do this soup differently, richer. But I had the bones from the bass and I didn't want to waist them. So I made a quick fish stock in the pressure cooker. I sauteed some garlic in oil, added a very big heirloom tomato, peeled and chopped, and added the stock. Cooked quickly again in the pressure cooker, adjusted seasoning and added the ditalini al dente. Normally, I would add some monkfish and some langoustines for flavor and also a little bit of spiciness.

But in my hometown there is also a very common dish, where you proceed similarly (garlic, oil, tomatoes and lots of water to keep it very soupy) but add mussels at the end and ditalini, with plenty of black pepper.

So many lovely meals! Thank you everyone for posting!

A few recent dinners:

image.jpg

Prep Part One

image.jpg

Prep Part Two

image.jpg

The finished dish - Shrimp and Andouille with Pasta and a Creamy Garlic Sauce

image.jpg

Chicken and Bacon Stir-fried Rice

image.jpg

Sichuan Boneless Chicken and Steamed Rice (a Martin Yan recipe favorite)

Under current usage, "Shepherd's Pie" would mean Ann_T used ground LAMB (or mutton) for her pie. Did she? She only said she used "cooked meat". If she used ground beef, then it is "Cottage Pie".

Edited by huiray (log)

Yes, it really makes sense that you'd serve peas with a meat other than lamb and in addition call it shepherd's pie. Wonder why I didn't think of that myself.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Been a challenging couple of months in life but I'm back. I did a dinner for friends last night but all I took a picture of was the first course.

Girlfriend loves breakfast so it's caramelized onion cream out of a isi whipper, quail eggs, dried iberico and some honey oats.

1044065_10151538229584372_160951867_n.jp

Figured those were breakfast flavors.

Good to be back!

Looks nice. Chives ought to be sliced a bit finer. Welcome back!

Who invited the home cook police? Get over yourself. I'd much rather have a thoughtful partner cooking for me than a critical one. Edited by Meredith380 (log)

Ann_t – Amazing shepherds pie.

robirdstx - Sichuan Boneless Chicken is my favorite too.

Franci – I always look forward to your diversity in recipes.

Scottyboy – We miss your wonderful cooking. Glad you are back.

Jayt90 – great looking beef ribs

Patrickamory – Very nice plating.

Ashen – a 3 minute pizza? Not bad at all!

Nickrey – very nice duck dish for Bastille Day.

basquecook – Monumental porchetta!

Baselerd – gorgeous salmon.

Rico – delicious spaghetti!

Rod rock – Another yummy spaghetti dish!

Sapidus – Very nice photo of the Lamb pilaf .

Kim – I am always happy to see your demonstrations of delicious food without complicated recipes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - -

A whole bunch of stuff to stuff a few friends last July 4th Holiday.

Smoke/grilled wings in two flavors, sous vide porter house steaks and sir loin steaks.

dcarch

smokedwingsokra2_zpsca34797e.jpg

smokedwingsokra_zpse1ca3cc6.jpg

wingsbacon_zps368aac16.jpg

wingsbacon2_zps3ddc15d2.jpg

porterhousesteak2_zpse413eb31.jpg

Porterhousesteak_zps58263dd2.jpg

topsirloin2_zps6fae3cbc.jpg

topsirloin_zps053aeee9.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2

Chicken wings are my favourite cut of any kind of meat in the world. And I've eaten and loved many cuts of many animals. Those wings look very good. Smashing a plate of those and a couple of beers would bring me much pleasure.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Nickrey, Patrick, Thank you. It was good.

Thanks Ashen. I didn't take offense from Huiray's comments. He is technically correct. I did use ground beef. BUT, I've always called it Shepherd's Pie and will continue to do so.

Dcarch, you certainly cooked up a storm for the 4th.

We had dinner with neighbours last night. I did the whole meal on the grill.

Beef%20Tenderloin%20Grilled%20Dinner%20J

Steaks (Beef Tenderloin) , potatoes, green beans and green and red peppers.

Been a challenging couple of months in life but I'm back. I did a dinner for friends last night but all I took a picture of was the first course.

Girlfriend loves breakfast so it's caramelized onion cream out of a isi whipper, quail eggs, dried iberico and some honey oats.

1044065_10151538229584372_160951867_n.jp

Figured those were breakfast flavors.

Good to be back!

Looks nice. Chives ought to be sliced a bit finer. Welcome back!

Who invited the home cook police? Get over yourself. I'd much rather have a thoughtful partner cooking for me than a critical one.

Oh I think he was joking guys

• Like 1

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Ann_T- yeah I know he is tecnically correct, at least for some parts of the world but names of food tend to be geographical. I am from canada as well, and if you order shepherd's pie in a restaurant or go to a friends house for dinner and they have made it, it would almost always be made with ground beef. I don't tell English people they can't call oat bars flapjacks because that is what I call pancakes.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Chicken thighs 3 ways. Harissa, preserved kumquat and lemon verbena + Mulberry smoked thighs with dry rub + plain with salt & pepper. Cooked a tri tip roast with the grilled chicken.

P1010808(1).JPG

Harissa & tri tip plated

P1010810(1).JPG

And a first part of the week experiment with dried pomegranate seeds, preserved kumquat, lemon verbena.

P1010793(1).JPG P1010763(1).JPG P1010805(1).JPG

Charly approved of the flavor profile but did not comment about the presentation.

• Like 1

Last night I made some ramen. I generally followed the Momofuku recipe for the broth, but used the pressure cooker instead. For toppings I added some stir-fried corn, bamboo shoots, soft boiled egg, and brined sous vide chicken breast (144 F).

tumblr_mq7okzXOln1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

I didn't get to a steakhouse last weekend when I was in Las Vegas, so I've been craving steak ever since I got back home. No better place to cook a great steak than in your own kitchen-

Beer-Battered Walla Walla Onion Rings with Preserved Lemon Basil Mayonnaise-

008.JPG

011.JPG

Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce-

029.JPG

Fried Potato Balls-

021.JPG

• Like 1