• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Rico - it's funny I had actually planted that sorrel before I knew how it tasted as well. While it tastes strong, I found that it goes well with a lot of dishes to bring a nice acidity and crunch.

Here's a dish I made from this ChefSteps recipe: sous vide salmon, watercress puree, ginger cream, and pickled onions. The salmon recipe was simply amazing, I had never cooked it in such a way (brined, sous vide @ 104F for 1 hour, then chilled for 6 hours).

tumblr_mpy9a5J6bX1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

that salmon looks delicious and Id like to ive it a try. however Id like to not do the brine or a weaker brine as Im trying to limit my exogenous sodium content. this might not be a significant amount anyway ....

does the brine add a 'safety' factor? or just a flavor element?

I could be wrong, but I believe the brine is mainly to flavor the meat and make the texture firm up a bit. I don't think either the brine's strength or the low-temp cooking is enough to pasteurize the food. I used sashimi grade salmon, so I wasn't as concerned...

Ann - will you be posting the recipe for the Summer Torte on your blog? Got some red currents to use up!

Kerry, the recipe is now on the blog.

Thanks Ann - shall head there now!

Been away recently. I came home to have an event on Sunday. It was a very summery spread.. We had, watermelon salad with parsley, mint, jalapeno and scallions.. After we mixed it up, we sprinkled with champagne vinegar and salt. We also made baked beans, broccoli rabe, a caesar salad, fried chicken and a 22 lb porchetta. There was also a tres leche cake for dessert.

I just have some porchetta photos and the shot of the fried chicken.. The porchetta, we stuffed the loin lengthwise. butterflied the belly, used an extra piece of skin to make sure the whole thing was wrapped perfectly.

9281703499_b3eb10ca07_z.jpg

here you can see the extra skin flap

9281704187_1545ae2fa6_z.jpg

9292468859_7339170854_z.jpg

9293680356_b9e85e5571_z.jpg

Here is the fried chicken.. brined and then dipped into a super spiced flour. in addition to toasted fennel and pepper, there was a ton of white and black pepper, cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt. extra crispy and original

9293680930_f5de02c76b_z.jpg

Broccoli rabe had a garlic chile oil we made mixed with a little vinegar.

9290904895_9a70307b2c_z.jpg

Doing a fancy catered event this weekend, i hope to remember to take photos. It's going to be a real fun menu.

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Oh man, too bad we're on a meat-free week. That porchetta and fried chicken look incredible.

We made crab cakes the other night with a Mediterranean salad. Tried to model them after the crab stand Faidley's in Lexington Market in Baltimore. As little filler as possible, saltines for binding.

Yes, those are frozen curly fries. What can I say? We had a craving.

vBTIiGel.jpg

YL6NfwKl.jpg

Edited by Morkai (log)

3 min pizza

walnut,basil,cress pesto for sauce, grilled chicken, onion, asparagus, moz, the left one has a bit of feta.

833b55a6-48c1-46e4-8c68-760cc0f62990_zps

I did them on my cast iron comal heated to top oven temp then switched the grill element on when the pie went in.

GEDC4062_zps6c5d26f4.jpg

The lefthand one had a crust half as thick as the right.. this picture doesn't really do it justice but I was too hungry to faff about with it more

23c83c84-1620-4a5e-b479-3c1654bf88c6_zps

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Bruce, what cut did you use for your lamb? I bought a lamb a few months ago and I still have some stewing meat left in the freezer.

Hi Ann, apologies for the belated reply. I used deboned lamb chops rather than leg as specified, and adjusted cooking times accordingly. Our usual grocery store is hit or miss on lamb.

A fine three course meal, Franci, nicely photographed.

It is so hot now, I just had beef ribs done in the Weber kettle with walnut logs, and a garden salad. That may be the genre for a few days, everything back yard oriented.

st2x.jpg

Been a challenging couple of months in life but I'm back. I did a dinner for friends last night but all I took a picture of was the first course.

Girlfriend loves breakfast so it's caramelized onion cream out of a isi whipper, quail eggs, dried iberico and some honey oats.

1044065_10151538229584372_160951867_n.jp

Figured those were breakfast flavors.

Good to be back!

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)
  • Like 1

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Dinner tonight were Bruce's exceptionally awesome lamb slipper burgers. With corn on the cob and pan fried green beans. Man those burgers - the flavors are so good together. Lamb, onion, ginger, chile, cumin, coriander, cilantro... YUMYUMYUM. Ate them too quickly to capture a picture!

Been a challenging couple of months in life but I'm back. I did a dinner for friends last night but all I took a picture of was the first course.

Girlfriend loves breakfast so it's caramelized onion cream out of a isi whipper, quail eggs, dried iberico and some honey oats.

1044065_10151538229584372_160951867_n.jp

Figured those were breakfast flavors.

Good to be back!

Looks nice. Chives ought to be sliced a bit finer. Welcome back!

• Like 1