• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

2013-07-10-dinner-prep.jpg

Prep for midweek dinner pasta. Olives, garlic, Tunisian capers, a package of partially dried tomatoes from last year's garden, a tied bunch of marjoram from the herb bed. To the right, some of the fresh pasta from freshly ground flour. Not shown: Black pepper, and olive oil, Romans like to start with these for best flavor, important that the pepper saute in the oil. Hungarians would say the same about the paprika.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

Ann – thanks – we eat corn probably 4 times a week when it is in season. I’d eat it every day if I went to the store that often! Oh, that garlic! My mom and I were talked just today about how fabulous really fresh garlic is. I had to Google ‘lahmacun’. Sounds fantastic.

We had my mother over for dinner the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_127385.jpg

Hot roast beef sandwiches, roasted potatoes and salad. Dessert was all fruit – I provided peaches and nectarines that we’d gotten from an orchard near Charlottesville:

med_gallery_3331_114_142994.jpg

And Momma brought strawberries, sour cream and brown sugar:

med_gallery_3331_114_94958.jpg

The peaches were incredible – worth another drive over before the season is out. The strawberries were really large, but still very, very good.

Dejah – You are right, fresh curry leaves do rock, and your dip sounds fantastic

Ann_T – Gorgeous, gorgeous food (and nice cutting board, too)

Kim – Mmmm, I need to keep an eye out for peaches

Syzigies – You going to leave us hanging?

Lamb pilaf with potatoes, ginger and scallion raita, unpictured salad

p1689062661-4.jpg

John Dory with zucchini and anise, steamed vegetable salad

Your basket weave with the zucchini was a phenomenal touch.

“You can’t define these in a recipe. You can only know them...”

-- Julia Child

Ann, really nice meal. Every thing looks perfect

Thanks Scubadoo.

Bruce, what cut did you use for your lamb? I bought a lamb a few months ago and I still have some stewing meat left in the freezer.

Kim, got to love hot roast beef sandwiches.

Cookalong, that fish looks good. Nice and crispy breading. My husband loves breaded sole. Might have to make that for him this week.

Slow%20roasted%20Leg%20of%20Lamb%20July%

Small leg of lamb, slow cooked Greek style.

Wings%20and%20Fries%20for%20two%20July%2

Wings and Fries with the homemade version of TBQ sauce (Tunnel BBQ, Windsor, Ontario).

Summer%20Torte%20with%20Red%20Currants%2

Summer Torte with red currants.

Im dying here:

Linguini with Long Island littleneck clams and scallops

back in the day i lived in Setauket LI at that time I learned of an Italian 'market' that made its own Italian stuff :

ravioli, pasta, etc. also white clam sauce, FZ. it was on one of the upper roadways, Ive even forgot what they those roads were

called. close to NYC but not that close. lets say a 1/3d out compared to Setauket. small place. all the Great Italian Stuff.

Id die to get some of that White Clam Sauce.

your stuff looks mighty good though.

Wow, you all take such beautiful pics of your meals. I've got to start doing that.

For dinner last night I made grilled jerk chicken. Also with that was grilled veggies, which consisted of zucchini, mushrooms, sweet peppers, onions, and carrots. We also had some baked bean which I did on the grill as well.

To top it off for dessert I made grilled peaches which we had with vanilla ice cream.

It was all so good, now I wish I had some pictures.

Baselard - that dish is gorgeous, and reminds me of the sorrel I decided to grow this year. I grew two plants from seed, only to discover that sorrel's intense flavor makes it far too challenging an ingredient for me to use with much frequency. Yup, I grew it before I knew what it tasted like. Carts before horses and such. All that to say, if I could assemble a dish like that, I'm sure I'd have no problems at all using up the stuff ...

Dinner the other night from My Calabria - the Braciole (vraciole, I think is what they call it in the Calabrian dialect) with spaghetti. Had a bunch of garden veggies as well, so make a roasted garlic aioli (is that redundant if the garlic is roasted? How else do you describe it - roasted aioli?)

1017532_561227497268902_731803464_n.jpg