• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Patrick, Scubadoo, Kim – thank you for the kind words.

Ann_T – I am honored! Truly. I’m still stuck on the perfectly battered and fried fish and chips you posted a few pages ago.

Jvalentino – sounds like we used pretty similar recipes for ribs

Peter Green – Long time no see!

Father’s Day dinner: Smoked ribs, mac and cheese, collard greens

p1735189309-4.jpg

Tonight: Caramel pork, bean sprout pork, jasmine rice

p1718094578-4.jpg

• Like 1

Damn those ribs look awesome

Beautiful meals all. I haven't been photographing meals lately. Been doing a lot of grilling. For father's day, I made my father in law his favorite thing. Homemade pasta with butter and sage. I made farfalle using OO flour and mainly egg yolks. Started with a kale salad from the garden. Baby kale that was super soft and lettuce like. Grilled pork chops on the egg, double chops, served medium rare with kale cooked in a vegetable stock with ham bone thrown in.

This weekend I am having a party in the backyard. Making a porchetta, a whole baby pig and the rest of the menu has not been created. We are expecting close to 75 people through out the length of the party.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Couple of dinners over the last week.

original.jpg

Minestrone with garlic bread. It is incredibly cold in Melbourne - this Italian classic really hit the spot!

original.jpg

Yes, that's Hainanese Chicken Rice sitting on a bed of choy sum. Experimented with plating to irritate the traditionalists :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

JValentino, pasta looks delicious and so simple. This is going to be dinner one day soon.

Sobaaddict, Like the idea of the rice with chicken livers as a side with white cut chicken.

Bruce, are your recipes somewhere here on Egullet? I'm interested in your caramel pork and the dry-fried chicken.

Keith, I like your presentation.

Pizza night with our neighbours

Pizza%20June%2018th%2C%202013-XL.jpg

I delivered.

Gorgeous pizza.. I would like a slice with the olives and pepporoni please..

Menu is still coming along.. Frozen Octopus in Chinatown last night. 4 dollars a pound.. I bought 8 pounds.. Going to do a grilled octopus potato salad I believe. Huitlacoche quesadillas are also on the menu, mole chicken tamales, sangria, oaxaca old fashions, a case of those big bottles of cold gruner. I have 2 cases of homemade beer that will also be close to being ready. Watermelon and jalapeno salad, shrimp springs rolls, stewed greens, a side of smoked salmon with horseradish dressing. Need another vegetable and I think we are done. Guacamole, refried beans and fried tortilla chips. And bluefish ceviche.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Unfortunately, i do. I have yet to see it in NYC. I even have a Mexican Food wholesaler that I work with in Brooklyn when I do large weddings and events, they can't get Huitlacoche fresh.. I have considered going to farmers in the Berkshires but, i don't use enough for it to be worth it.

I've seen it fresh on the corn on Long Island, when we lived out there with my grandparents; it was called 'corn smut' and was NOT a good thing!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Id like to hear more about the dry-fried chicken etc.

many thanks. ribs for me this weekend thanks to (drool) you!

:biggrin:

Thanks very much, routs! Any excuse to enjoy ribs is a good one. See below for recipe links.

Bruce, are your recipes somewhere here on Egullet? I'm interested in your caramel pork and the dry-fried chicken.

Dry-fried chicken is from Fuchsia Dunlop's excellent Land of Plenty. The recipe has escaped to the wild in various places, including here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/dry-fried-chicken-recipe.html

Caramelized minced pork is from Andrea Nguyen's wonderful Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. eGullet excerpt (including caramel sauce recipe):

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/94805-into-the-vietnamese-kitchen/

The caramelized minced pork recipe has also escaped:

http://heatergirlie.blogspot.com/2008/06/pig-pork-pig.html

BTW, your pizzas look gorgeous, and "I delivered" made me :laugh:

Younger son and Mrs. C made bacon, feta, lettuce, and freshly-picked blueberry salad tonight. No pictures, unfortunately. Blueberries were from the back yard.

Ann and Keith, thanks.

Wednesday night:

9091481513_6cf6bffbcc_z.jpg

Peas with baked ricotta, chives and lemon

9093703938_26b55d7d10_z.jpg

Spinaci alla genovese

The red things are dried cranberries that were plumped in boiling water.

Usually golden raisins or regular raisins are typical, but you can sub in any dried fruit and it will be okay. Spinach, anchovies, garlic, raisins and pine nuts.

Lidia specifies nutmeg in her version but I like it without. -- http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/955

9093703418_00e0626b4f_z.jpg

Italian sausage with green seedless grapes, spinaci alla genovese

Recipe here: http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/897

It's not so strange. Basically, just cook sausages in a little oil with garlic and peperoncini, then add some grapes. The grapes break down and eventually form a thick glaze when combined with the meat juices that enriches both the sausage and the fruit.

• Like 1

Did you guys just dig in and slurp out the greatness or was there some sort of sopping up of juices like bread or the like involved? Crab is my favorite.