• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

9048211208_388c9729e5_z.jpg

Warm lobster and heirloom potato salad, with microgreens

Lobster salad -- lobster, Yukon Gold potatoes, Valdisa heirloom potatoes, Adirondack Blue heirloom potatoes, scallions, shallots, homemade lemon mayonnaise (lemon juice, egg yolks, canola oil, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, Dijon mustard, sea salt)

The potatoes were boiled whole in lightly salted water, then peeled, coarsely diced and combined with the rest of the ingredients.

9045986325_fb9b9c33d4_z.jpg

Spaghetti con arogosta e pomodoro (spaghetti with lobster and tomato)

No real recipe here, just something I threw together. Contains olive oil, unsalted butter, lobster scraps, cherry tomatoes, sea salt, peperoncini and Italian parsley.

DSC_0077_zpsde9fbe63.jpg

My lamb burger. The patty was made from leg chops. I minced the chops through a fine die and then formed the patties loosely, binding them only with salt. The patties were jacked with a little bit of liquid smoke. Instead of lettuce the patties rest on a bed of wilted baby spinach. Instead of a brioche bun like David Ross used (my inspiration in making this burger) I used focaccia rolls.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Lovely looking burger Chris. If you made the rolls yourself, can you give us a rough recipe? Also on the liquid smoke was that because you cooked them in the pan and opposed to on a grill?

I purchased the rolls. And yes, I used the liquid smoke because I cooked them in a pan. I oiled the pan with a small amount of dripping to emulate, as best I could, cooking on a seasoned grill.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Ann_T, nice stuff. BTW if you ever had Chinese, Japanese or Korean guests you might not want to stick those chopsticks in that fried rice like you pictured. It symbolizes the joss sticks one lights, stuck in that pot of sand, for the funeral of whoever one is mourning.

Soba - you know how you keep getting echos of the same idea and then can't get it out of your head? - well your lobster salad dovetailed with this post I thought sounded lovely. Perhaps a lemony lobster and potato salad is in my very near future ;)http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/05/lobster-and-potato-salad/

DSC_0077_zpsde9fbe63.jpg

My lamb burger. The patty was made from leg chops. I minced the chops through a fine die and then formed the patties loosely, binding them only with salt. The patties were jacked with a little bit of liquid smoke. Instead of lettuce the patties rest on a bed of wilted baby spinach. Instead of a brioche bun like David Ross used (my inspiration in making this burger) I used focaccia rolls.

Great lamb burger and thank you for the compliment. As cooks we all hope to inspire someone to try out our dishes.

Ann_T, nice stuff. BTW if you ever had Chinese, Japanese or Korean guests you might not want to stick those chopsticks in that fried rice like you pictured. It symbolizes the joss sticks one lights, stuck in that pot of sand, for the funeral of whoever one is mourning.

Thanks Huiray, I appreciate the advice.

Soba - you know how you keep getting echos of the same idea and then can't get it out of your head? - well your lobster salad dovetailed with this post I thought sounded lovely. Perhaps a lemony lobster and potato salad is in my very near future ;)http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/05/lobster-and-potato-salad/

heidi -- actually I was inspired by an item on Gramercy Tavern's current dinner tasting menu, although their execution is different than mine. they have carrots and fingerling potatoes as accompaniments, and the salad contains no potatoes.

patrick -- thanks. one lobster at Citarella for $9.99/lb. (1 1/2 lbs.) made enough for 2 dishes.

lots of good stuff above.

tonight:

remember those peas I peeled from last year? -- http://kitchenseasons.com/2012/06/15/thursday-snapshot-5/

well, I decided to do that tonight again, because I am a masochist. =P

9055529664_d40b649535_z.jpg

9055529310_bea8663004_z.jpg

9053303491_3d3e2c9ff5_z.jpg

"Field and forest salad" (Red Russian kale, Lollo Rosso heirloom lettuce, English peas, micro greens, edible marigold flowers, white wine vinaigrette)

The marigolds add a hint of citrus without any acridness. The flavor is more like a very light lemony/orange-y taste.

9053303173_0056eb5a2d_z.jpg

Pasta con salsa di pomodoro (Pasta with uncooked tomato sauce)

I don't have a recipe intentionally. A rough guideline is something like this: 2 tomatoes, cored and diced; 1 shallot, peeled, trimmed and minced; 1 scallion, trimmed and minced; 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley; 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano; 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil; sea salt and black pepper to taste. Combine all ingredients together and let sit for 30 minutes minimum so the flavors can blend. Cook pasta in lightly salted water until al dente; drain. Add pasta to the sauce, mix well, then serve at once.

You can adjust the proportions to your preference.

A couple of tablespoons fresh ricotta cheese mixed in is wonderful.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Thank god the warden let me out early. After a few months in the hinterlands it's nice to be back to my stove. I've been dining vicariously on the terrific posts. Tonight's dinner was root beer\five spice braised short ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts with house cured guanciale and root vegetables. As the saying goes be it ever so humble there's no place (or food) like home.

P1010748(1).JPG

Edited by Steve Irby (log)
  • Like 1

Wow. I don't normally venture out of the pastry forums but there are some stunning bits of food on display here! Its making me very hungry!!

Although I stick more to the chocolatiering/patisserie/baking side of food, I recently promised my other half I would devise and cook her a 10-course tasting menu for her birthday. So this was my first attempt - some things really pleased with, some things not as happy with but all tasted good at least!

J

Please come back often and share. To me, this is all amazing!

Sobaaddict that salad of yours is inspiring. I think if I made it, I would want to throw in some elderflower or violet concentrate as well. In fact I have everything I need to make that salad tonight ... except the marigold :(

Baselerd and ChrisTaylor i'll have 10 of those please!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw