• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 3)

patrickamory

Ketih, it is a type of pasta called "candele" Each piece is about 50cm long, but I cut them down a bit to fit on the plate. They are cooked in milk, stuffed with a puree of violet asparagus and then sauteed slowly in butter. You sprinkle with parmesan, baste with some butter, then finish with chicken jus.

0Toty8Hl.png

Edited by mm84321 (log)

David Ross – What a beautiful plate of Wahoo. I have not seen that fish in stores recently.

Mm84321 – I agree, a work of art.

Ann_t – you never fail in making the perfect steak.

Shane – That’s a nice mix of beef cuts for burgers.

Liuzhou – Pink champagne for pink salmon, nice!

Keith - Like a surgeon, the two poussins, tunnel boned and sutured. Like a great chef, you did good! (I think it was me who completely boned a chicken without opening up the bird).

Ashen – Very inviting grilled lamb shoulder chops.

Sapidus – I have to still your green rice idea. It looks so fantastic.

Franci – Please post more! Your dishes are always very sophisticated.

RRO – Amazing grilled wagyu karubi .

SobaAddict70 – I will do anything to have a taste of that Rainbow carrots, with golden morels dish.

Patrickamory – Not too many people can make a meatloaf as good as yours.

----------------------------------------------------------

First, let me apologize. Chicken was on sale, and I like chicken a lot. So all are chicken dishes.

dcarch

Hickory smoked chicken with yellow squash

chickenthighsquash2_zps5adfc551.jpg

chickenthighsquash_zps777afda0.jpg

White cut chicken on rice noodles with oyster mushrooms, bok choy

Smokedchickenoystermushrooms2_zps2e77115

smokedchickenoystermushrooms_zps58dbe048

Sous vide chicken with ramps

rampschicken_zpsca390da6.jpg

rampschicken2_zpsdd83e7eb.jpg

• Like 2

Simple meat and three veg.

Sous vide duck confit with fig/balsamic sauce served with dutch carrots, smashed duck-fat potatoes and butter spinach. Good solid comfort food for a rapidly cooling autumn.

duck confit (1).jpg

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

thanks folks. also nice pix, especially Keith's chicken.

tonight:

8762753301_695bf91ffd_z.jpg

Squid, ramps and heirloom potato salad, with lemon, capers and parsley

Yes, that is a blue/purple-colored potato. ;)

Adapted from this recipe at Food52 -- http://food52.com/recipes/14173-grilled-squid-salad-with-lemon-capers-and-parsley (the squid was fried in olive oil, along with a few tablespoons of Belgian beer, ramp stalks and ramp leaves (ramps were subbed for the red onion in the recipe), otherwise it's as directed).

• Like 1

Inspiring meals, everyone! I need to try my hand on many of Soba's recipes...

Keith: Would Cornish game hens be a good size or still too much for one person?

Still feeling lazy, so I fried udon noodles topped with black bean garlic pork, sweet peppers and a couple of serrano peppers for a bit of heat.

SpicyBlackBeanGarlicPorkOverUdon1158.jpg

FInaly getting up enough energy to make Singapore Coffee Pork Ribs last night. Actually, I used boneless pork shoulder instead of the ribs that we enjoyed while in Singapore in April. They turned out quite well. Also cooked up some rice in coconut milk and soybean sprouts with a serrano pepper, scallions, and a few pieces of chicken.

CoffeePorkRibs1164.jpg

Apologies for the steamy camera lense!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

MM, I've seen that pasta, but didn't know what it was called. Love the idea of stuffing it.

Keith , Yes, I often leave on the skin.

David, Beautiful crust on your fish.

Dcarch, thank you.

Nickrey, Now I am craving duck. That looks wonderful.

Dejah, Even with a steamy camera lense, both those dish look delicious.

Tex-Mex last night.

Chile%20Verde%20Pork%20Chop%20May%2020th

Chile Verde Pork Chops

Chile%20Verde%20Pork%20Chop%20May%2020th

With Homemade Corn Tortillas.

• Like 1

Just back from a 14 day trip to China.. Don't remember if I posted this before I left.

Such pretty meals here!

Frogprincess' shelfish boil reminded me of a similar thing I made the other day:

Salad:

8703920164_d695dfb0f9.jpg

To a seafood in the stock I added a couple of different chinese sausages and a crab boil mix. Also added, fresh green beans to the boiling stock. Put a scoop of rice in the middle of the bowl. Fed four happy people.

8702796039_4fcdc15dcf.jpg

deep fried brussel sprouts with sriracha and honey.

8702797859_00f8feff7b.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Ann_T: Love those lamb shanks! Will need to dig some out of my freezer soon...

Basquecook: Where in China? We just got back also, 14 days preceeded by a month in Malaysia.

Wish our 14-days had more of a culinary focus, but that doesn't happen on these "shopping tours". Next time...

Meanwhile, I am experimenting with some of the dishes that we did enjoy in Malaysia. Tonight, it was Nonya Fried Chicken...really good. :wub:

2NonyaChickenClose-up1167.jpg

The recipe included a dipping sauce, but we thought it overwhelmed the flavour already on the chicken. Corn on the cob and broccoslaw dressed with Mango Chipotle, dried cherries, pumpkin seeds, and coconut flakes were good sides.

I was quite surprised at how often corn was served in China - mostly stir-fried kernels with some sweet pepper bits.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I was quite surprised at how often corn was served in China - mostly stir-fried kernels with some sweet pepper bits.

The stuff is everywhere.

Street vendors boil or roast whole cobs; it is stir fried as you mention in most restaurants; it is grilled at BBQs; it turns up in fried rice and in porridge; it lurks in soups and noodle dishes; it is essential on pizzas; you can buy corn ice cream, corn candy, corn milk etc.

Unfortunately, I seriously dislike the stuff.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Those lamb shanks look great Anne_T! As do those deep fried brussels sprouts (one of my favorites).

I recently picked up the Volt Ink cookbook, and here's my first attempt at cooking from it. It's supposed to be a modern take on stir-fry beef with broccoli. The components include sous vide boneless short ribs, creamy broccoli puree, spicy soy caramel, deep fried dehydrated broccoli, deyhdrated horseradish foam, and broccolini.

Turned out really well - with special mention to the broccoli puree. Instead of puree'ing the broccoli stalks, they were juiced then blended with cream, sauteed broccoli crowns, xanthan gum, salt, and butter.

tumblr_mn6n5r53yN1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 3

I recently picked up the Volt Ink cookbook, and here's my first attempt at cooking from it. It's supposed to be a modern take on stir-fry beef with broccoli. The components include sous vide boneless short ribs, creamy broccoli puree, spicy soy caramel, deep fried dehydrated broccoli, deyhdrated horseradish foam, and broccolini.

Turned out really well - with special mention to the broccoli puree. Instead of puree'ing the broccoli stalks, they were juiced then blended with cream, sauteed broccoli crowns, xanthan gum, salt, and butter.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7a4043834d85f844331eab19857e5a26/tumblr_mn6n5r53yN1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Huh. I've had the VOLT ink. book for about 2 years but have not actually made anything from it...I went through it more as an illustration of what Michael Voltaggio was wont to do. I might look at it again, even if it uses lots of "Modernist" techniques.

I presume you mean the recipe on page 211? The one using beef short ribs, the one titled "Beef with Cream of Dehydrated Broccoli, Horseradish "Styrofoam", Caramelized Soy" ? Definitely a Modernist recipe, with use of a recirculating bath, a dehydrator, and other tricks.

Thanks keith!

Huh. I've had the VOLT ink. book for about 2 years but have not actually made anything from it...I went through it more as an illustration of what Michael Voltaggio was wont to do. I might look at it again, even if it uses lots of "Modernist" techniques.

I presume you mean the recipe on page 211? The one using beef short ribs, the one titled "Beef with Cream of Dehydrated Broccoli, Horseradish "Styrofoam", Caramelized Soy" ? Definitely a Modernist recipe, with use of a recirculating bath, a dehydrator, and other tricks.

Yep that's the recipe - I deviated a bit on the short rib preparation though, since I prefer my short ribs at a lower temperature (133 F for 72 hours). With that said the recipe turned out delicious, and I'm definitely going to dive right back into it.

As you said, the book has a major focus on modern techniques. Luckily I have most of the equipment, but I don't think you could get very far on many of the recipes without some investment in modern equipment - mainly a dehydrator, sous vide setup, and whipping siphon.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Ann_T: Love those lamb shanks! Will need to dig some out of my freezer soon...

Basquecook: Where in China? We just got back also, 14 days preceeded by a month in Malaysia.

Wish our 14-days had more of a culinary focus, but that doesn't happen on these "shopping tours". Next time...

Meanwhile, I am experimenting with some of the dishes that we did enjoy in Malaysia. Tonight, it was Nonya Fried Chicken...really good. :wub:

attachicon.gif2NonyaChickenClose-up1167.jpg

The recipe included a dipping sauce, but we thought it overwhelmed the flavour already on the chicken. Corn on the cob and broccoslaw dressed with Mango Chipotle, dried cherries, pumpkin seeds, and coconut flakes were good sides.

I was in Pinghu, Yangzhou, Zhangjigang, Nanjing. I am in China for about 1 to 2 months a year.

Here is a blog of my last trip. All food oriented. The food gets good once I hit Yangzhou.

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums/index.php/topic/26864-china-trip-may-2013/

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

wow, Ann's lamb looks delicious!

Basque, the places you went to in China are very close to my home town. I saw your food pictures during the trip. Those dishes are what I eat to grow up. Miss home now.

This semester is finally over. Haven't eaten well recently, I was planning to treat myself a good dish, stuffed squid. But it turned out funny. Half of the filling(right side) was leaking out because of the squid's shrinking in oven.

squid_eg.jpg

I have to make something good tomorrow :unsure:

Edited by TinaYuan (log)

Life is beautiful.

wow, Ann's lamb looks delicious!

Basque, the places you went to in China are very close to my home town. I saw your food pictures during the trip. Those dishes are what I eat to grow up. Miss home now.

This semester is finally over. Haven't eaten well recently, I was planning to treat myself a good dish, stuffed squid. But it turned out funny. Half of the filling(right side) was leaking out because of the squid's shrinking in oven.

attachicon.gifsquid_eg.jpg

I have to make something good tomorrow :unsure:

Tina, what's inside the squid, and how did you cook it?

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

Another dish I enjoyed while in Singapore and in restaurants. Now, I've made it at home. So simple, light, and a lovely change from heavier meals.

Hainanese Chicken Rice

2HainaneseChicken1168.jpg

Had 3 kinds of dips: oyster sauce, sriracha, and ginger, chicken fat, and a bit of salt and sugar in hot oil. This developed some crunchy clumps which were delighful to crunch on along with the silky mois6t5 texture of the chicken

I particurly enjoyed the "burnt rice" on the bottom of the pot, softened with more of the chicken stock!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night was the first time cooking in awhile.. I found fresh fava beans and boiled quickly and took off the first shell. Removed the stems from broccoli rabe, cut into smaller pieces and quickly boiled. Then cooked the broccoli rabe in garlic and oil. Tossed with the fava beans, red pepper, olive oil and added a few drops from an orange and grated some garlic and orange rind over top. Let it get to room temp for an hour. Topped with shaved and microplaned pecorino and a little pancetta.

8796264354_f9a80f5e29_z.jpg

Not shot of the second course. Made a basic tomato sauce with onion, garlic and carrots. Let that cook for about an hour, was out of vodka in the house so, poured about a cup of Hendricks Gin into the sauce, added basil, then cream and let it cook for another hour. Added prosciutto at the end and cooked the sauce together with the rigatoni for a couple of minutes.. Topped with pecorino and some micro planed raw garlic. Served with toasted bread.

Another dish I enjoyed while in Singapore and in restaurants. Now, I've made it at home. So simple, light, and a lovely change from heavier meals.

Hainanese Chicken Rice

attachicon.gif2HainaneseChicken1168.jpg

Had 3 kinds of dips: oyster sauce, sriracha, and ginger, chicken fat, and a bit of salt and sugar in hot oil. This developed some crunchy clumps which were delighful to crunch on along with the silky mois6t5 texture of the chicken

I particurly enjoyed the "burnt rice" on the bottom of the pot, softened with more of the chicken stock!

I loved this dish when I had it abroad. I always assumed it would be rather involved to make at home. How was it? Did you follow a recipe or give it a go on your own?